PDA

View Full Version : Got my CTR-301P Wireless Strobe Trigger. First shot attempt.

Cozen
09-15-2009, 12:16 AM
I literally just got my wireless strobe trigger an hour ago in the mail, and I instantly set up a shot. I don't even have my light stands/umbrellas/gels/etc. Just have 2 flashes and the triggers.

Here it is, this one is for you Sean! Haha.

Sean Setters
09-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Love it! I think every strobist enthusiast has to try that shot. ;-)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3160/3031397770_d4cb47f8ef.jpg ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/3031397770/)

Keep at it. It's a wonderful and rewarding adventure...

Cozen
09-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Thanks Sean! Gonna practice all night. It's tough tho, not having a remote or a model. Hacing to run back and forth is a lot of work. So far the toughest thing for me is focusing.

Here is another shot I copied from you. I'm kinda limited to proping up my storbes on pillows and chairs right now.

edit- hmmm, the image isn't showing up.......any idea why it won't post? It's showing up in the preview.

Cozen
09-15-2009, 04:06 AM
k, let me try this again.

Cozen
09-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Here is another shot I did tonight. I just had to put the grids to use =)

Maleko
09-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Love it!

Whats the exact setup you use?

Oren
09-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I love 'em too [:D]

Mark Elberson
09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I literally just got my wireless strobe trigger an hour ago in the mail
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]How long did they take to ship? I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the set I ordered on September 3<sup>rd</sup> [:(]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]By the way, the corporate watch-dogs won&rsquo;t let me access Flickr at work so I&rsquo;ll have to wait until I get home to check out your first offerings.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] From the responses youv'e gottenso farI can&rsquo;t wait to see how you did!

Cozen
09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I literally just got my wireless strobe trigger an hour ago in the mail
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; color: black;"]How long did they take to ship? I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the set I ordered on September 3<sup>rd</sup> /emoticons/emotion-6.gif

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; color: black;"]By the way, the corporate watch-dogs won&rsquo;t let me access Flickr at work so I&rsquo;ll have to wait until I get home to check out your first offerings.<span> From the responses youv'e gottenso farI can&rsquo;t wait to see how you did!

Your shipment should be there soon. I actually ordered on Sept 2nd and got it last night. It was a loooooong and anxious wait, but worth it. The triggers work great!

Cozen
09-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Love it!

Whats the exact setup you use?

I'm assuming you are referring to the last picture I posted. That is 2 strobes, with a 10 degree grid each. I think it was 1/4 power. They are positioned on either side, slightly behind me.

Mark Elberson
09-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Sean has a Miller Lite in his version ;-) Well done though!

Sean Setters
09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Sean has a Miller Lite in his version ;-) Well done though!

And David Hobby ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/447819702/in/set-72157603549501638/) has Diet Mt Dew in his. To each his own... ;-)

Mark Elberson
09-15-2009, 08:09 PM
And David Hobby ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidhobby/447819702/in/set-72157603549501638/) has Diet Mt Dew in his. To each his own...
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I actually responded before I even noticed that your post was directly below Cozen's for the whole world to see! You can imagine how embarrassed I was to point out such a conspicuous difference [:$] I had recently been checking out your Flickr stream and remembered seeing this noticing the Miller Lite can because they are all too familiar [:D]

Sean Setters
09-15-2009, 08:57 PM
I had recently been checking out your Flickr stream and remembered seeing this noticing the Miller Lite can because they are all too familiar /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

David Hobby loves Diet Mt Dew. He references it fairly regularly in his blog. As I'm not a fan of Diet Mt Dew (although I'll take it in a pinch), I figured I would include something that I am not only a fan of, but possibly even a connoisseur (that is, of beer in general). I didn't think any of my absolute favorites [Guinness, Sam Adams, Yuengling Lager &amp; Yuengling Black &amp; Tan] would look great in the shot, so I went with the trusty Miller Lite can which complemented the blue gel I was using.

Mark Elberson
09-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I FINALLY got my set of CTR-301Ps yesterday. I have had very limited time to play them so I don't have pictures to post...well that, and the ones that I do have aren't as good as Cozen's! Even though the build quality is less than stellar, they all work and for the price it's hard to beat. I did notice that at 1/250 the bottom of the frame has a thin black line but after several tests at 1/200 they synced up fine every time. I'm not surprised because I read several times that these won't allow you to use your max sync speed.I am happy that I could get 1/200 since I had heard stories of 1/160 or even less.

One thing I am upset about is that I just heard about the new RF-602s on a Flickr threadthat are 2.4GHz, have 3x the range and come with a shutter release [:@] and all of this for less than $20 more than what I spent! Oh well, if and when I out grow my CTR-301Ps I plan on replacing them with the RadioPopper JrX System since they will be able to adjust the power on my Canon Speedlites...assuming they ever come out with the <span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: x-small;"]RPcube adaptor that is!

Cozen
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Glad you finally got your unit. That took awhile. Have fun with it. Best thing is to just do it, and practice pratice practice. The more you experiment, the more you'll get use to it. Also look at Sean's images and his strobe settings and positions. From there you can try and mimic some of his shots until you get comfortable enough to attempt your own. Enjoy and post some pictures when you get the chance!

And that new triggering system sounds awesome. Dang, I'll have to look intot hat later. Thanks for the heads up.

Cozen
09-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Just for kicks, here's another shot I took recently.

2 strobes.

1Nikon SB24 camera right in a DIY soft box 1/2 power

1Nikon SB25 camera left, 45degrees behind me at 1/16 power, bare

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3962134658_3d55fbba11.jpg