PDA

View Full Version : Genuine B+W Filter

Oren
09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I've just found someone on FM Forums who is selling a 67mm B+W CPL filter:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/811881 ("http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/811881)

For pictures he referred to his ebay and here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260474031574&Category= 15217&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2 ("http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260474031574&Category= 15217&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2)

I was pretty close to buy from him (and I still am) but I decided to take a closer look at the pictures - specifically the 3rd one which is a picture of the box's back. Now I have a B+W UV filter and know that a genuine B+W filter should have a green laser sticker on the back of the box. The picture on ebay doesn't have this sticker though.

What do you think? does that mean it's not genuine or maybe the laser sticker is a new thing and the filter in the picture is just old and was made before B+W started making the laser stickers?

What would you do? Would you buy this filter from this guy?

jnort002
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
If you check his feedback it appears he has recently sold some Zeiss lenses that were worth a lot and they were offered with full refund if the buyer was not satisfied. The buyers on both of these lenses gave positive so I would assume he is legit. Also, its being shipped from Australia, I would like to think there i a higher chance of it being legit (though I might be biased being an Aussie myself).

Maybe ask if he will offer returns if it proves to be fake consistent with his other auctions. He is also selling a 72mm but you can't see if he has sold filters in the past. Given he has pretty much perfect detailed seller feedback that would suggest that if he sold filters recently the people were happy with them. Other than that I suppose you just have to weigh up your options, is the saving worth the risk on a filter?

Oren
09-15-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd buy a brand new filter from B&H or Adorama but the problem is that shipping from them to me is $60 which is 50%-60% of the filter itself while the private person wil ship it to me for $5.

Anyhow, I've just got 2 new PMs from him, here they are:

"<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Trebuchet MS;"]Your filter will be packed securely and send with Insured Airmail.

Also with PayPal,you can claim your money back,if you don't receive the goods."

"<span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Trebuchet MS;"]I have never seen that green sticker before.

I've purchased about 5 B+W Pola filters over the years and I have never seen that.

Also the filters that I'm selling were purchased more than a year ago."

So 2 question - 1 per PM lol:

Regarding the first quote - I've never used Paypal before, is that correct that I can claim my money back even though that the whole selling (except actual payment) was done on the FM forums?

Now, regarding the second quote - can someone confirm that old filters (1 year ago) didn't have the laser sticker?

jnort002
09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
I think that is the case with Paypal though I have a funny feeling the Paypal Buyer Protection only relates to ebay transactions so you might want to check. I use paypal for ebay purchases and lots of other shop purchases where it is offered. I even (out of laziness) use it for money transfers from UK to Australia for family birthdays etc. There are fees like any services but I find it quite convenient and safe (No I am not employed by Paypal either).

I can't help on the green sticker as I must say I am from the crowd who live life on the edge and purchase from hvstar/maxsaver.net and I dont keep the packaging. I have never had a problem with them and they from my inspectionand research are legitthough the alloy ones are apparently not as well made as the brass ones. Some of mine are brass, some are alloy.Again, depends on the risk you are willing to take.

Good luck

OiCecil
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I bought a B+W filter from Amazon a short while back. No green sticker, so it shouldn't be anything to worry about. And as has been said the eBay seller seems to have good feedback.

Hope that helps.

Oren
09-15-2009, 07:30 PM
Hmm... maxsaver actually claim to have the green laser sticker.

Mark Elberson
09-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Hmm... maxsaver actually claim to have the green laser sticker.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

If you don't get killed by shipping then go with MaxSaver. I bought a B + W filter from them and it came with the green sticker :) It took almost two weeks to arrive though :(

Also, I bought a B + W filter from Amazon about 15 months ago and there was no green sticker. I think this is a new initiative on B + W's behalf. The guy you were interested in buying from said he bought his filters over a year ago so maybe that explains why there's no sticker?

Oren
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
I've contacted Bryan and here is his reply:

"<span style="font-size: 11pt; color: black;"]I think the green sticker was implemented earlier this year."

So I guess that's ok and I'll be buying this filter from this guy, thanks guys.

henytran
09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey,

I just got a new B+W filter from adorama and it did NOT have the green sticker. I looked at a box for a previous filter I bought (from JR.com) and it did have that green sticker. Sounds like you'll find boxes with and without this sticker. Hope this helps!

Henry

Oren
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks henytran. I've already paid this guy and I'm now waiting for my filter.