PDA

View Full Version : Active autofocus unit?

asmodai
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
So. I do a lot of low-light shooting. I'm a night person. Between my 5dII and my 80mm f/1.2, I'm getting really close to being able to shoot as I've always dreamed of: able to capture the night just as I see it. Tripods: sometimes. Flashes: seldom.

But here's my issue. Even when there's sufficient light to be shooting wide open @ iso6400 in terms of exposure, autofocus is wont to disappoint me me. Often, it will fail entirely, and with so little light manual focus can be roulette. I've got a speedlite--the 430ex-- and I often find myself attaching it just to use the AF assist beam, no flash. I've gotten some amazing shots that way.

But often, portability is a concern for me. It seems silly to lug around a flash for the assist beam. Here's what I want to know:

Is there a dedicated, small active AF device which attaches to the hot-shoe? I've looked all over to no avail.

If not, could one hack one together? Is the communication language between unit and camera proprietary, in need of advanced reverse engineering? Or is it simple enough?

Whatta you folks know? And is there a reason this isn't on the market? Some flaw I don't see? With the amazing low-light capacity of cameras today I can't imagine I am alone in my focus-woes.

Fred Doane
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Asmodai,

The Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 will do what your looking for. According to Brian's review of the transmitter HERE ("http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Speedlite-Transmitter-ST-E2-Review.aspx)...

"The Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 support 45 focus point bodies. The ST-E2 focus assist effective distance ranges from 30' in the center to 16.5' in the periphery. EF lenses 28mm and up are supported, AI Servo mode is not supported"

It will also come in handy to wirelessly control all compatible canon (580ex, 580EXII, 430 EX, etc) flashes without losing E-TTL capability. Of course others will argue there are cheaper ways to accomplish that those options won't provide you with the Autofocus assist. It isn't a cheap piece of equipment. It is selling on B&H's website HERE ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/164264-REG/Canon_2478A002_ST_E2_Transmitter.html) for $220.

Fred~

asmodai
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, shoot. I feel the horse's ass. You know, I poked around SO much, read (I thought) the flash reviews on this site, probably even saw this device at some point, and just dismissed it because I thought it's only function was as a controller. I imagine I was using the wrong search terms for it to smack me in the face. Really, I've been looking for something like this for the better part of a year.

I'm really shocked at my web-fu failure. =>

Anyway, thanks. Everybody else: Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

peety3
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
For the sake of simplicity, and because I don't know what you shoot, would a flashlight work? Maybe a laser sight for a gun ($15-20 at Walmart), or just a cheap laser pointer (laser is probably too small to illuminate a contrasty spot and actually get both "sides" of the contrast, but the beam won't spread like a flashlight).

asmodai
09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
The flishlight is the stand-by, but since I don't want that light in the photo it winds up being hard to illuminate, focus, drop/shut off the light, and maintain focus. Also, when my subject is a person, they seem to react poorly to having bright lights shown in their eyes-- don't ask me why. =]

Daniel Browning
09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
It would be nice if there was an inexpensive alternative to the ST-E2, that only has the autofocus assist light (cheap) and and not the wireless flash control (expensive). I've been looking for one for years, and haven't found it yet.

asmodai
09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Mmhm. And I'd wager it would go from 'small' to 'diminiutive', or even 'neglegable'.

Perhaps one day, after every dSLR has 45 cross-type AF points which are all selectable by eye.

Chuck Lee
09-24-2009, 09:07 PM
It would be nice if there was an inexpensive alternative to the ST-E2, that only has the autofocus assist light (cheap) and and not the wireless flash control (expensive). I've been looking for one for years, and haven't found it yet.

Somebody send an e-mail to gadgetinfinity.com...they'll have one in a few days. LOL..[:D] Serious!!

luck101
09-25-2009, 01:03 AM
or u could get a 50mm 1.0, lol

j/k i think the transmitter idea looks like a good alternative

wickerprints
09-25-2009, 04:43 AM
My understanding is that below a certain EV, no aperture will be sufficient for a passive AF to operate. F-number tells us how much light gathering capability there is, but if there is little to no light entering the lens, there's nothing for the AF system to detect.

The crazy thing about some of these dSLRs is that the ISO capabilities combined with some ultra-fast lenses (f/1.8 and wider) are such that one can have enough light to record a usable image, but not enough light for AF to perform unassisted.

As for a flashlight I have found that it sometimes doesn't work as well as an AF assist beam. I'm not sure why--maybe someone can explain?

Ehcalum
09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
There is a DIY af beam on either Diyphotography.net flickr group and/or strobist flickr group. Its an LED wired to a chopped cord on a shutter release.

Chuck Lee
09-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Somebody send an e-mail to gadgetinfinity.com...they'll have one in a few days. LOL../emoticons/emotion-2.gif Serious!!

Here's the response: that was fast!

"<span lang="EN"]Thank you very much for your suggestion. We will look into this.

If we are able to supply this product in the future, we will ensure to send an e-mail to you too.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Gadget Infinity"

apersson850
09-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Use a small flashlight with a transparent redtape on it. Will not disturb people that much.

Set a custom function so that you autofocus with the AF-ON/* button only. Lamp on, focus with One Shot AF, release AF-ON, lamp off/in pocket, take picture. Since you only autofocus when pressing AF-ON, focus will not be disturbed by half-press whentaking the picture.

Canon's most recent AF will work down to -0.5 EV on all cameras except the 1D Mark III, where it goes down to -1 EV. That's it.