PDA

View Full Version : NEUTRAL DENSITY FILTER?

metakephotos
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I just bought a lens from ebay and it came with a B+W 58MM NEUTRAL DENSITY GRAY FILTER. What is the difference between this type of filter and your everyday standard type?

thanks in advance

peety3
09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
By "everyday standard type", we assume you mean UV/haze, the typical 'protection' filter that some people swear by (and others swear at). An ND filter is a darkening filter, used when you want a wider aperture and/or longer shutter time and/or lower ISO than you can otherwise get.

Example:

f/22, ISO 50, 1/15th

http://photos.templin.org/albums/pj-baptism-party/426C0261.sized.jpg

That was as slow as I could get the picture to be without an ND filter - the lens was as stopped down as it can do, and the ISO was as low as I could get it. (I suppose I could have dialed in some positive exposure compensation and taken it out in post.) If I wanted 1/15th but f/4 (for depth-of-field reasons), I'd need to "get rid of" five stops of shutter and/or ISO, or stick a five-stop ND filter on the front of my lens. Others may want an ND filter for shots of flowing water, as long shutter times create dreamy looks.

Maleko
10-01-2009, 05:00 AM
ND filters can be used to create motion blur effetcs on water for one.

This is done by increasing the exposure time (shutter speed) allowing more light to enter and create a blur, but then the ND filter brings down the exposure so that the image isn't over-exposed as well.

ND filters come in different strengths, for example: ND2, ND4, ND8

Each srength becomes stronger (darker)

ND filters can also be used for portrait shooting for decreasing exposure as well.