PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS4 vs Star Trails

btaylor
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently revisited a star trails image that I took a while back. Originally I processed the shot(s) using CS4 and wasn't really happy with the results. So I got my hands on the Startrails app and had a go with it - wow what a difference! The results from Startrails were well and truly superior to using the autoblend layers feature in CS4 so I thought I should share it with you to illustrate the results.

Bear in mind that when I originally procecced the image in CS4 I'd only had the software for a few days and didn't know the ins and outs (mind you I still don't). So there's possibly some editing issues there.

40D, f/3.5, 11mm, 426 x 10sec exposures and one extra with some light painting to capture the foreground.

This one using CS4

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/3776952633_5F00_284e5f3ca0_5F00_b.jpg

And using Startrails App

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/Boulia-Star-Trails-New.jpg

The only issue was that I couldn't change the language from German to English!!! So there was a bit of google translator going on witha bit of trial and error.

Anyone else with some interesting star trails / night landscapes? I'd love to see them.

Cheers, Ben.

Rodger
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow! I remebering commenting on the first one (CS 4 edit) and being stunned. Haha amazing work! The Star Trails app reallly made a difference! That's incredible!

-Rodger

wickerprints
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't suppose there's a version of this for the mac? [:(]

ShutterbugJohan
10-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Wow! Big difference!

I don't suppose there's a version of this for the mac? /emoticons/emotion-6.gif

There is software available that will let you run Windows on a Mac.

Manofmayo
10-09-2009, 02:05 AM
I had the same language problem....so I wrote the guy, here is what he said:

<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]Hi xxxx,
<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o:p><span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]</o:p>
<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]you have to unzip it with subfolders.
<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o:p><span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]</o:p>
<p class="MsoPlainText" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Consolas; font-size: small;"]Clear skies,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Achim

Maleko
10-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Ive used that program before, awesome piece of kit!
It was a long time ago, but this is one I did from my back garden, it was more a test that actually working on a good photo :P

http://portfolio.maleko.co.uk/images/portfolio/scenery/scenery_19.jpg