PDA

View Full Version : Photogenic Eclipse 45" Umbrella

wickerprints
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I just picked one up at a local photo retailer, and I am extremely confused. The product code (shown on the packaging) is 909201, and matches with the number on the website here: http://www.photogenicpro.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=416&DEPARTMENT_ID=55

The labeling on the umbrella's black exterior also matches the image on the website.

However, when I opened the umbrella, I soon discovered that the black portion of the umbrella is not removable. There is only ONE white satin panel, which does cover the ribs, but there is no shoot-through panel; I double checked. According to the manufacturer, it should be a shoot-through. What is going on here? Can anyone help me out?

I may have to return this umbrella. Before doing so, however, I need to be able to verify that this model indeed has shoot-through functionality, as advertised. Should I try to contact Photogenic to determine whether I have received faulty goods?

Thanks in advance!

twistedphrame
10-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I bought one the other week, to remove the black cover you pull the metal tips off the ribs and unscrew the black cap on top. My only has one layer of white on the inside and I was initially confused but it worked well both ways (shoot through or not). the metal tips are somewhat difficult to get off but its easier if the umbrella isn't open (naturally)

MrGreenBug
10-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi!

I don't mean to intrude but is there a manual or some sort of document that may verify if you have the right items inside the box?

Just a thougt.

wickerprints
10-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh. Now I feel stupid. In the process of trying to figure out how to remove the black cover, I did manage to pull the tips off, but I was stumped by the cap and stopped there, convinced that touching that might damage the umbrella. LOL

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). It does look rather funny with only one white panel, to be honest. And I was hoping that the cover wouldn't be so hard to remove. Is this how *all* dual-purpose umbrellas are supposed to work? Seems a bit like a kludge. It would be much better if the top were modified with a metal grommet that just slips over the cap. I can't think of a reason why that shouldn't do the job.

Jayson
10-29-2009, 11:11 PM
I feel your pain. When I first got mine I went through the same issues. If my son wouldn't have bumped into me when I was messing with it, I probably would have sent it back. Have fun with your umbrella.