PDA

View Full Version : All giddy with new 580EXII but...questions...

BES
10-31-2009, 01:33 AM
So I just received my brand new 580EXII and this made me open my mounth as wide as I could. What a difference! I took some shots with it, just testing as I have no bloody clue yet what I am doing so it is all automatic, but the difference is so clear [:D]

I am ecstatic!

Question:

What batteries do you use with it, where do you get it and how long will they last? I just got regular lithium batteries and have a feeling they will not last for long. Any advice?

iND
10-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Enelope on Amazon

Rechargable they are the best. Hold a charge when stored last great.

jcmeza_21
10-31-2009, 06:18 AM
I use Energizer rechargeable batteries. (4 sets of 4)

Keith B
10-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm using the new Duracell Precharged rechargeable and they work pretty well. The only issue I've noticed is that even though they say Precharged out of the package, they don't last long on first use.

Daniel Browning
10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Eneloop FTW.

ShutterbugJohan
10-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Congrats on the flash!

I use 12 Energizer rechargeable batteries in my 580EX and 580EX II, and I also carry four cheap alkaline batteries as backups. NiMh rechargeable batteries are much better than alkalines for use in electronics.

I hope to purchase a set of eneloops soon, they look fantastic.

EdN
10-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Go for the Sanyo Eneloops. They're charged right out of the package. You can shoot a long time with them and when fully charged, they stay that way for a long time. Costco has a deal on AA's with a charger right now.

canoli
10-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Can you use any NiMh charger with these eneloops? Seem like a great solution - hadn't even heard of them till now...

Daniel Browning
10-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Can you use any NiMh charger with these eneloops? Seem like a great solution - hadn't even heard of them till now...
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, but some chargers are better than others. I highly recommend one of the advanced chargers like the La Crosse BC-9009 for $40.

canoli
10-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I see why you recommend the La Crosse - very sophisticated. Might just have to grab that kit on amazon, come with the charger and 8 batteries (4AA, 4AAA) for $39.99 + . Even though they're not the eneloops it looks like a good deal.

Thanks for the info!

peety3
10-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Yes, but some chargers are better than others. I highly recommend one of the advanced chargers like the La Crosse BC-9009 for $40.

Go for the La Crosse BC-700 and save $10 per charger. I have two BC-900 chargers (they'll charge up to 4x1000mA or 2x1800mA, whereas the BC-700 will charge up to 4x700mA, and you don't want to abuse your batteries with charging rates that high) and four BC-700 chargers. I never use the BC-900s beyond what the BC-700s can do, and there's little sense in the -900 or -9009 since they include batteries you won't want to use much.

BES
10-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Thank you guys

I went ahead and purchased a rechargeable unit in my local photo shop. It has a rate of full recharge of 60 minutes so I am pretty happy and I am now walking into a completely new world [:D]

Now time to learn how to use the darn thing

As usual, learning curve is going to be steep, frustrating and long for someone who has limited time.

But I can finally take pictures of my dogs when I come back from work and cannot use natural light anymore [:)]

Soooo happy

peety3
10-31-2009, 10:54 PM
It has a rate of full recharge of 60 minutes so I am pretty happy

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! You're going to abuse, if not ruin, your rechargeable batteries.

Fast charging is the death of rechargeables. Slow charging is much better. That's why the La Crosse chargers default to their slowest charge rate, and why the BC-900 isn't worth the money over the BC-700.

Buy more batteries, so you can make it through a shoot without having to charge the batteries you own. Buy enough chargers so you can get enough batteries recharged in time for the next shoot. But don't buy rapid chargers to make up for a lack of batteries or chargers.

I have six 4xAA chargers on my charging table. I'll probably buy two more before our spring "event season". I have 48 Eneloop AAs, with 48 more coming in this week, and about 40 of another kind of rechargeables that's being "assigned" to side duty in Pocket Wizards and such. With four 580s and two external battery packs, I have 32 Eneloops loaded in our gear, so 96 gives us the initial load plus two complete swaps. That'll be enough for a while. We're running tight today though; I have 24 batteries charging at the second-slowest speed in the hopes that they'll be done before bedtime and I can load up another 24 tonight to have 48 ready for tomorrow.

Daniel Browning
10-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the correction and the great info, peety3.

BES
11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
It has a rate of full recharge of 60 minutes so I am pretty happy

NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!! You're going to abuse, if not ruin, your rechargeable batteries.

Fast charging is the death of rechargeables. Slow charging is much better. That's why the La Crosse chargers default to their slowest charge rate, and why the BC-900 isn't worth the money over the BC-700.

Buy more batteries, so you can make it through a shoot without having to charge the batteries you own. Buy enough chargers so you can get enough batteries recharged in time for the next shoot. But don't buy rapid chargers to make up for a lack of batteries or chargers.

I have six 4xAA chargers on my charging table. I'll probably buy two more before our spring "event season". I have 48 Eneloop AAs, with 48 more coming in this week, and about 40 of another kind of rechargeables that's being "assigned" to side duty in Pocket Wizards and such. With four 580s and two external battery packs, I have 32 Eneloops loaded in our gear, so 96 gives us the initial load plus two complete swaps. That'll be enough for a while. We're running tight today though; I have 24 batteries charging at the second-slowest speed in the hopes that they'll be done before bedtime and I can load up another 24 tonight to have 48 ready for tomorrow.

Awwww, rats, I guess I will have to get another charger and another battery pack. No problem, this is nice to have as well, and buying a new pack every year will not bother me. But I see your point and appreciate advice. I will order one of those on Amazon ,my favorite place.. Thanks again.

Maleko
11-01-2009, 09:30 AM
The 580EXII really does rock! I use energizerrechargables, 2 sets last me all day easyfor a full day of wedding photography.