PDA

View Full Version : EOS 7D external Mic recomendations

Vantlor
11-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I cant find one that will actualy mount to the camera. Am I missing something? It would be sweet if there was a custom mount to throw a Mic onto the flash mount, but I cant find one. Not looking for anything to espensive but I certainly need something better than the built in one!

A completley external mic is not what I am looking for because then I either need it to sit somewhere or I need someone else to move it around for me. Obviously when using a wireless lapel etc this problem is moot as itd just be a cable running to my pocket from the camera (or just syncing audio from the laptop later).

Daniel Browning
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Anything that doesn't require phantom power and puts out a sufficiently strong signal (i.e. condensor, not dynamic) will work.

I use the Rode VideoMic. The Sennheiser MKE 400 is smaller and works well.

That will be better than the on-camera sound, but unfortunately you'll never get good sound because of the automatic gain control on the Canon DSLRs. I use Magic Lantern ("http://magiclantern.wikia.com) on the 5D2 which gives me control over the gain; it's only a matter of time before it's ported to the 7D and you'll be able to do the same.

Even better is if you use a high quality amp like Juiced Link.

Vantlor
11-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I was looking at that mic yea but I dont see a way to put it on the camera. I am not looking for perfect sound (if I want that then yea I will use another mic and recording device all together and sync later). I want something thats like an addon flash. Throw it on when its needed but dont have time to setup slaves or pull out a boom etc.

jrodinfo
07-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Take a look at The J-Cube at B&H Photo. You can mount a mic, plus 2 other accessories like a radio receiver and audio recorder, or light.

http://tinyurl.com/2dveo9n

mikehillman89
07-12-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm a fan of Sennheiser so I'd vote for and probably will get the MKE400, but I use a RODE shotgun for my professional stuff in regular video so I know they're good and reliable.