PDA

View Full Version : Exposure compensation / AEB with the 5D2

Roland Scheiner
11-22-2009, 12:48 PM
According to the manual when Exposure compensation is set for instance to + 2steps the camera captures Normal 0, - 2 Steps and + 2 steps. Is that right.

A function as follows obviously is not possible: You want to capture Normal O, + 1step and then +2 steps and set this. You press the shutter button and the camera takes 3 images; normal 0, +1 step and +2 steps; in other words AEB only to lighter or if wanted only to darker.

Or do I make a mistake?

Sean Setters
11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Roland, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but I'll try to explain what I know:

AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) allows you to take 3 images that range in a preset exposure (adjustable by you) up to +2 and -2 stops from 0. However, you can shift where "0" is by adjusting exposure compensation. Therefore, you could in effect set your exposure compensation to -2 and get a range of exposures from -4 to 0.

Anyone else correct me if I'm wrong. I don't use AEB all that much.

peety3
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
You might want to take the camera out of the box and start using it. The manual will make more sense if you can actually touch and try.

You also say "when Exposure compensation is set for instance to +2steps the camera captures Normal 0, - 2 Steps and + 2 steps." I think you mean automatic exposure bracketing. Exposure compensation only shifts the camera's resulting exposure for all shots: if +1 is dialed into EC, all shots are +1 stop brighter than the base metering value. Automatic exposure bracketing means that the next three shots are bracketed as desired, perhaps normal, -2 stops, and +2 stops. Bracketing will continue unless/until the timer expires and auto-bracketing kicks in, returning the camera to non-bracketed behavior.

For what I think you want, an auto-bracket of 0, +1, and +2, it's easy to accomplish: dial in +1 EC and 1-stop AEB, which automatically shifts a 0/-1/+1 bracket to +1/0/+2. On some cameras you can change the bracket sequence, and possibly have it shoot as 0/+1/+2 (this is the -,0,+ order). If you dial in +1EC and then go into the menus to adjust AEB, you'll visually see the bracket is shifted +1. That's why I suggest the use of the physical camera.

Roland Scheiner
11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Sean Setters and peety 3

thanks a lot for your reply. I think it´s the best that take the camera out of the box and try. Practical work is always better than theoretical studies. But your replies indicate that it is possible what I want: Make the camera expose in one direction either to plus lighter and to minus darker. Thats what I really expected.

apersson850
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
The 7D allows for exposure compensation a full +/- 5 stops, and in addition to that bracketing +/- 3 stops. Thus you can shoot threeAEB images with +2, +5 and +8, if you like.