PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Rainbows

MrGreenBug
11-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi everyone. I would like to ask for tips on how to take rainbow photos? Here's one I got but I feel it's not the look that I wanted though it's kind of dramatic in a sense. WB? Filter? By the way I got the UV filter on the kit lens.

It was cloudy late afternoon and a drizzle just passed by and the sun was low and behind and on the horizon got some more rain clouds.

18mm, f/8, 1/30, ISO 100

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_7nO3EBpvAsc/Sw3fg6SrYzI/AAAAAAAAFhQ/z_PfheLYAMw/s800/IMG_0037.jpg ("http://picasaweb.google.com.ph/lh/photo/oxwnCUB9_2wqWpQmuLQ-KA?feat=directlink)

Flaming
11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't know too much but the couple of rainbows that I have shot I have used a circular polarizer. It might not make too much of a difference, but it makes it pop a little nicer. Here is one I took in my pre d-slr days. It is not the best but I think it shows how the polarizer can help with the pop of the rainbow./cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.29/P1040248.jpg

Panasonic DMC-FZ7 10.2mm F8 1/640

Sean Setters
11-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know too much but the couple of rainbows that I have shot I have used a circular polarizer. It might not make too much of a difference, but it makes it pop a little nicer. Here is one I took in my pre d-slr days. It is not the best but I think it shows how the polarizer can help with the pop of the rainbow.

I'm glad you posted that. I was wondering how a circular polarizer would look when shooting a rainbow...

MrGreenBug
11-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't know too much but the couple of rainbows that I have shot I have used a circular polarizer. It might not make too much of a difference, but it makes it pop a little nicer. Here is one I took in my pre d-slr days. It is not the best but I think it shows how the polarizer can help with the pop of the rainbow.

Panasonic DMC-FZ7 10.2mm F8 1/640

Thanks Flaming! I'd agree you've got more colors on that rainbow. [:D] Thanks for sharing. Will try to get me one of those circular polarizer one of these days.