PDA

View Full Version : GPS tagging of photos taken with EOS 40D

neustar_eric
01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Hello,

I have done some initial research into looking at adding GPS info to my photos taken with my EOS 40D. It appears that the only way this can be achieved is by purchasing the expensive WFT-E3A wireless transmitter ($760 at Amazon currently) and a handheld GPS device and using those two items together. Seems quite expensive!

Are there any other means of achieving this goal which aren't so pricey? Or should I just scrap the whole idea of doing this?

Eric

Ehcalum
01-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Eric,

Just use a handheld GPS to mark a waypoint each time you take a picture. Sure it wont embed the information into the camera, but you can make notes as to what frame it is.

Vlad Xp
01-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Or take a picture of the GPS' screen just before or after shooting your main subject.

neustar_eric
01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks! I think I'm just going to scrap this whole idea and just take notes in a little notepad as to where I am before each series of photos I take or a notation of where I'm spending the day! The whole idea of spending $1200 on equipment to add this info to the photo file is ludicrous. I'd rather spend the dough on the 100-400 L series zoom lens.

Ifmracing
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
1 series body?

Then you could do a voice note as to the location of the photo that would be tied to that frame.

Stefan Stuart Fletcher
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Lightroom 2 can handle this information in the metadata and there are now SD cards (with the CF adapter for your 40D) which have the requisite information.

I agree wholeheartedly with the spending the money of a 100-400. Firstly, because *I* have one and it affords me enormous pleasure and secondly because I can't imagine why anyone would really *need* latitude and longitude info about their shots. This is my ignorance talking, so please enlighten me. What were the reasons for wanting GPS data in the first place?

Photomage
01-13-2009, 05:48 PM
There are devices such as the Sony GPS tracker which can be used for this purpose.

The software which comes with it will match up photos to GPS co-ordinates, and add them to the EXIF data.

neustar_eric
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I thought it might be cool to have the location info viewable in the photos.

ShutterbugJohan
01-13-2009, 11:19 PM
There are a few GPS units on the market that will add the latitude and longitude info to the file. Just keep it near the camera, and when your done shooting, you connect it to the memory card and press a button. I think Jobo and ATP make them.

Stefan Stuart Fletcher
01-14-2009, 04:40 AM
So, when you shoot the Eiffel tower, say, the Acropolis or Angkor Wat, you'll need latitude and longitude coordinates printed in bright white letters underneath, just in case you forget where you were? [;)] Sorry, just kidding with you. I suppose if you're a quantity surveyor or architect or landscape gardener or something like that, there's a very good reason for including GPS data in a photo. There's a layer in Google Earth where people's holiday snaps can be added, which might help, but only after you've uploaded them.

Jorn
01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
I use a Holux GPS tracker. The software that comes with the unit is not very good. I use it do download data to the PC and convert it to format that can be read by a freeware tool I found (don't remember now since I'm at work).

Stefan Stuart Fletcher
01-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Found this link to useful intro and perhaps other outlets which make it cheap and easier:

http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-geotag-images

hope it helps.

mark
01-26-2009, 11:01 AM
log the info on your gps aas a waypoint of interst the upload it to google earht along with the photo

apersson850
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
If you just carry around an ordinary GPS, that

neuroanatomist
04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
If you have an iPhone, there are apps which will log you geotag data and later use a desktop version of the app to add it to your .cr2 file metadata (as long as your camera's clock is accurate so the photos match up with the timestamps).