PDA

View Full Version : Mac: Image import/ingest software suggestions

peety3
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm actively switching over to Mac from PC. Most of the transition is going OK, but I'm finding myself struggling with the aspect of reading in my images. What software tools do you folks use?

I've been using DownloaderPro (and BreezeBrowserPro) from BreezeSys on PC up until now. I love the simple way that I can set job names, and have DLP import the images into job folders by file type (RAW/JPEG), date, and camera; it also renames the images with a short form of the camera model so I don't have filename collisions.

I've attempted ImageIngester Pro, but find it overwhelming to set up the basics, and I'm not finding tools to automate the folder path and/or camera model (yes, I can SET these things, but I can't find ways to put the images in folders based on their parameters).

I don't really want to go down the road of a Windows emulator to run DLP/BBP, but perhaps that's what I have to do. Any suggestions from the masses on a better alternative?

neuroanatomist
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
If you can spring for the cost, Apple's Aperture is a great photo editor/organizer. There are plenty of Automator scripts to assist with workflows.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

Daniel Browning
12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Another consideration is Adobe Lightroom, which has a pretty good downloader (though not as advanced as BreezeBrowserPro).

IAMB
12-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I second the Aperture suggestion. I switched over to Mac right about the time Aperture II came out and the only thing I use beside that now is Photomatix. Couldn't be happier.

bob williams
12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Does DPP utility work with MAC?

IAMB
12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Far as I know... I have it on my Mac... just don't ever use it.

neuroanatomist
12-08-2009, 07:29 PM

Yes. DPP, EOS Utility, and the rest of the Canon app suite all work on a Mac, and run fine under the current OS (10.6.2 Snow Leopard).

MacManUS
12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
DPP works with the Mac. Yes.

It is not the preferred solution.

Apple's Aperture is. It is a very good piece of software for the money for a serious photographer. It is an open sytem, in that it allows, third parties to create plugins for the program, much like Adobe Photoshop. The plug-ins available are simply great, as most major photo bent developers have created solutions for Aperture. The raw capabilities, and the ability to have VERY large databases of photo's, with the non-destruct handling of the database, and actual raw files, is invaluable. It offers what cannot really be done anywhere else but on a Mac.

As a photographer, there is no doubt the Apple platform offers a serious advantage. I scratch my head when I realize the host of this site, Bryan, is still a PC user in light of this. Hello Bryan... Get a Mac!

If you have a Mac, you owe it to yourself to download Apple's trial of Aperture. It will put a smile on your face.

2 pennies

Daniel Browning
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
It offers what cannot really be done anywhere else but on a Mac.

Generic and off-topic hyperbole.

MacManUS
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Generic and hyperbolic indeed. Spot on the the OP's question.

2 pennies

Keith B
12-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Aperture is very nice. I find it renders RAW files better that ACR at similar settings. I have never used Lightroom though.

My only complaint with Aperture is that it wants to batch and organize everything, so loading one single image is a process. Not a huge deal but sometime I like to just double click a RAW image and edit singularly.

crosbyharbison
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
iPhoto is a great piece of software that you already have on your new mac and you don't have to pay for anything extra. That being said aperture/lighroom is better and you should buy one of the two at some point.

djzuk
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I would recommend Lightroom over Aperture for most photographers. I've used both, and they're both great programs, but I prefer Lightroom for several reasons.

1. Lightroom has more advanced image editing. Aperture is really lacking on some key image editing features that I use frequently.
2. Lightroom has more professional printing options. Aperture is reallylacking in this area. Of course, you could use another program for printing... but that's not what we're talking about here.
3. Lightroom has more (and better in my opinion) web tools. Flash galleries, etc. are all quite good in Lightroom.
4. I like the library system better in Lightroom.

It's basically better at everything right now. This is slightly unfair seeing as Aperture is older than Lightroom 2. There should be a new version of Aperture sometime next year.. along with a Lightroom 3. The one thing I did like better about Aperture is the speed and integration with Mac OS X. Aperture takes a more non-linear approach to your workflow, which makes it far faster in some ways. In Lightroom 2, it does take a little bit to go through the different modules (Library, Develop, Slideshow, Print, Web). This isn't a huge deal breaker for me though... once you get used to it, Lightroom's advantages overcome the small speed differences. Aperture does have integration with OS X though, and that's quite useful depending on what else you do on your Mac.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on Lightroom 2 vs. Aperture 2. Both are great programs, I just prefer Lightroom for the type of work I do.

Thanks,
Derrick

peety3
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks to all for the great Aperture/Lightroom debate.

However, I'm looking for tools to manage/automate the process of reading memory (storage?) cards. I have a decent (or at least sufficient) workflow with DPP, but it's not an ideal sorter/ranker/etc. I'm not a "Photoshopper", but I've recently added Photoshop Elements 8 and expect to add either Lightroom, Aperture, or both very soon. Regardless, it's the card import process for which I'd like the most immediate suggestions.

MacManUS
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Card import?. Can you not just drag the raw or .jpeg files from the card on the desktop to a folder on your hard drive?. Then have DPP, or whatever do your processing. This method works very well here.

Maybe you could shed some light on what workflow you are wanting to accomplish...

peety3
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Card import?. Can you not just drag the raw or .jpeg files from the card on the desktop to a folder on your hard drive?. Then have DPP, or whatever do your processing. This method works very well here.

Maybe you could shed some light on what workflow you are wanting to accomplish...

That method doesn't work well - there's little to no error-checking, there's no easy way other than two separate drags to copy RAWs to one place and JPEGs to another place, there's no mechanism to do intelligent automatic filename modification (to prevent filename collisions).

On my PC, I can tell DownloaderPro to download to W:\Jobs\{J}\Import-{E}\{m}{D}-{T8} and rename to {T8}-{o}, and it'll automatically put the files in a tree that looks like W:\Jobs\RttR-Awards\Import-JPG\1209-50D\50D-IMG_0123.JPG. Control-J allows me to change the job code, and automatically JPGs/RAWs are split, the date is used for hierarchy along with camera model, and the camera model/code is inserted at the beginning of the filename. Images can be losslessly rotated during import, so even basic folder browsing shows pictures that are right-side-up.

MacManUS
12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
peety,

You have a program called automater in your Utility folder, and it is an AWESOME program for automating things that occur in folders like you want. It is extremely easy to do, and I doubt it will limit what you want. All for free. Might be just what you want, asa creating folder actions is very easy.

Check out www.macosxautomation.com

MacManUS
12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Also do a google search on "folder action scripts"

There are hundreds of scripts already for what you need.

neuroanatomist
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Your new Mac will come with iPhoto, which will handle automatic card imports into iPhoto's library. You can export from there, but that will leave you with multiple copies of the files on your HDD.

But, if you're happy using DPP, you might be able to use CameraWindow (Canon's photo import utility that should function hand-in-hand with DPP). To set that as the default app to launch when you connect a camera or card reader, go into iPhoto preferences (launch iPhoto and press Command-comma), and on the General tab set the Connecting Camera Opens: pop-up menu to CameraWindow (you'll need to have installed the Canon software suite on your Mac prior to this, and then it will be an option).

Alternatively, you can use iPhoto to organize your images, flag them, etc. - it's pretty good for that, but not really useful as part of a RAW workflow (although it does import the RAW files and display them, since Camera Raw support is system-wide in Mac OS X (and updated frequently as new bodies are released).

By way of plugging another support forum, you might try asking questions or seeking advice in the Apple Discussions ("http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa) (there forums for the different hardware platforms, such as theMacBook Pro ("http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=190)which I have, as well as specific forums foriPhoto ("http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=143)andAperture ("http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=184)).

Colin500
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
On my PC, I can tell DownloaderPro to download to W:\Jobs\{J}\Import-{E}\{m}{D}-{T8} and rename to {T8}-{o}, and it'll automatically put the files in a tree that looks like W:\Jobs\RttR-Awards\Import-JPG\1209-50D\50D-IMG_0123.JPG. Control-J allows me to change the job code, and automatically JPGs/RAWs are split, the date is used for hierarchy along with camera model, and the camera model/code is inserted at the beginning of the filename. Images can be losslessly rotated during import, so even basic folder browsing shows pictures that are right-side-up.

For the record: If you know your way around the Unix-shell, you could easily throw together a script that does exactly what you want.

Colin

peety3
12-09-2009, 03:30 PM

For the record: If you know your way around the Unix-shell, you could easily throw together a script that does exactly what you want.

Colin

I know my way around the UNIX shell. What's the command that returns the model of camera used for an image file?

Colin500
12-09-2009, 04:18 PM

I know my way around the UNIX shell. What's the command that returns the model of camera used for an image file?

There are probably several possibilities, for me the following was the easiest:

A) Install the developer tools with XCode and gcc (I need them anyhow).

B) Install MacPorts fromhttp://www.macports.org/ (I need that anyhow, too).

C) Install the "exif" port, and enjoy:
<pre>colin@tigger# exif IMG_0006.JPG
EXIF tags in 'IMG_0006.JPG' ('Intel' byte order):
--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------
Tag |Value
Manufacturer |Canon
Model |Canon PowerShot G1
Orientation |top - left
x-Resolution |180.00
y-Resolution |180.00
Resolution Unit |Inch
Date and Time |2001:02:19 17:42:30
YCbCr Positioning |centered
Compression |JPEG compression
x-Resolution |180.00
y-Resolution |180.00
Resolution Unit |Inch
Exposure Time |1/8 sec.
FNumber |f/2.0
Exif Version |Exif Version 2.1
Date and Time (origi|2001:02:19 17:42:30
Date and Time (digit|2001:02:19 17:42:30
Components Configura|Y Cb Cr -
Compressed Bits per |3.00
Shutter speed |3.00 EV (APEX: 2, 1/8 sec.)
Aperture |2.00 EV (f/2.0)
Exposure Bias |-1.00 EV
MaxApertureValue |2.00 EV (f/2.0)
Subject Distance |0.7 m
Metering Mode |Center-Weighted Average
Flash |Flash did not fire.
Focal Length |7.0 mm
Maker Note |384 bytes undefined data
User Comment |
FlashPixVersion |FlashPix Version 1.0
Color Space |sRGB
PixelXDimension |2048
PixelYDimension |1536
Focal Plane x-Resolu|7366.91
Focal Plane y-Resolu|7349.28
Focal Plane Resoluti|Inch
Sensing Method |One-chip color area sensor
File Source |DSC
InteroperabilityInde|R98
InteroperabilityVers|0100
RelatedImageWidth |2048
RelatedImageLength |1536
EXIF data contains a thumbnail (3122 bytes).
colin@tigger#
</pre>

Colin