PDA

View Full Version : christmas scene

2slo
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
looking for feedback. its a snippet of a Christmas scene on top our tv cabinet. got the xsi last christmas and have deleted a hoop of pictures.[:)]

xsi 100mm f/2.8

1/60 f/2.8 iso-400

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.03/small_2D00_034_2D00_800_2D00_533.jpg

Scott
12-09-2009, 12:26 AM
<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-AU; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Cut, very cute, could use a bit more light on my monitor, but very cool.

MrGreenBug
12-09-2009, 12:29 AM
<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-AU; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]Cut, very cute, could use a bit more light on my monitor, but very cool.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Indeed it's very nice. As Scott said, it needs a little more light and maybe a little exposure compensation.. the whites are bit grayish in my view.. [:)]

Dan Fleming
12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
here is my shot at re-editing it. I lightened, added some saturation, and upped the contrast. I think this shows off your excellent composition a little better. /cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.31.08/winterscene.jpg

djzuk
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I like your edit, Whatsreal. It needs some blacks in there though. (depending on what you use to edit photos, you may not have this adjustment). You could achieve the same result by using the tonal curve too. It basically needs some more contrast. Much better than the original though, in my opinion. No offense to 2slo. I really like the composition! Just needed to be much brighter. Very cool shot though. :)

Derrick

2slo
12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
from my work computer I have to agree with everyone about Whatsreal edit looking much better. From the house, the image is much closer to Whatsreal edit. I think I need to check my monitor athouse, somethings amiss.

I first shot it as a night time scene and my daughter complained it was too dark, so I reshot with a flash.

thanks for the replies,

Jerry

edit: ok, checked at the house and the picts look fine for what I was shooting. was going for a dusk shot to match the streetlamp thats on. my work monitor is pretty cheezy and old.

2slo
12-12-2009, 07:26 PM
ok, finally had time to mess witha reshoot. Went for thebrighter look people prefer, while maintaining appropriate shadows. Also turned off the street lights.[:)]

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.33.03/dads_2D00_046_2D00_800.jpg

Sean Setters
12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I think you're getting closer. However, the snowman needs some light on him. Typically speaking, snow reflects alot of light. Therefore, there's usually not much shadow when there's snow on the ground. Plus, the snowman is the main focal draw in the image--yet he's not significantly lit.

Also, when you're shooting snow (and scenes with an abundance of white in them), your camera will naturally underexpose the image--shifting white to gray. You'll have to dial in a stop or two of overexposure to get the proper exposure for the scene.

2slo
12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I'mplayingwith flashlighting effects and did the shadeon Frosty to present protection from the sun. But your right, Frosty is obviously the subject, yet he's not well lit and hes the only thing in focus. Thanks Sean.

Jerry

Todd Ovick
12-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey 2slo, let me know if i am "out of line" for editing your photo, but i just could not resist....did some quick leveling and shadow adjustments to your photo,...i really like the scene and these types of shots'! a little bit of noise reduction would be good for the shadow increase... yes, theright amount of flash would be better! Merry Christmas....Todd/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.03/dads_2D00_046_2D00_800-copy.jpg

2slo
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Edit away.[:)]I'm just messing around trying to capturean image I imagined could exist if the lighting were different.

Jerry

Scott
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I like Todds touch up, looks good. Hard to get little snowmen to pose, and hold those tiny off camera flash units hehehe, good job Jerry looks pretty cool indeed.

Scott