PDA

View Full Version : Too much going on in one frame?

Rodger
12-11-2009, 08:15 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2494/4172944637_d2e70213e0.jpg ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodgerobley/4172944637/)

I wanted to incorporate three ideas or aspects into this photo. Myself, the rainy window, and the trees in the background. This is all one exposure. Post work is LR2 and PS4 (to add noise). I'm interested in your thoughts.
Strobist Info: 1 Canon 430EXII @ 1/64 high left bounced off of ceiling. Fired twice manually durring exposure via cactus V2s system.

Do you think it's too "busy" too much going on?

Rodger

ShutterbugJohan
12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Do you think it's too "busy" too much going on?

Yes. There isn't enough contrast between the three "aspects" to make it work well. It's very creative, though. [:)]

ThomasJ
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I like creativity! For me, I don't see trees or my attention wanders to them. Maybe you can position the camera somewhere else, so it only shows you, the rainy window and the trees? The camera distracts a lot.

Maybe you could also try to alter the framing a little, so the trees get more attention.

Happy shooting!

Sean Setters
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I like the picture within the confines of an artistic self-portrait. It's quite interesting. However, I didn't notice the trees either (although I knew something was there, but there wasn't enough detail to enable me to recognize that compositional element). I must say that the bright spot on your camera is quite distracting, though, as it draws the eye away from [what should be] the main focal elements within the frame. And on a side note, that distraction (a pentagonal highlight which is a characteristic of the 5-bladed aperture of a nifty-fifty) could be removed with PS4....so you might want to try that.

Rodger
12-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I must say that the bright spot on your camera is quite distracting

yeahh, I should have removed that.

I focused manually on the window to try to get that clear. I should have known that the trees would be wayy OOF.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Sometimes it's nice just to shoot around haha.