PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cake for C&C

MrGreenBug
12-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Hello everyone! Happy Holidays to all! With the season, I have tried more on photographing food and I would like to ask for your C&Cs, composition, areas for improvement, bad points, good points (if there are any.. [:D]), etc. Your input will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for viewing.

18-55mm IS @ 39mm, f/5.6, 1/6 sec, ISO 100 (Larger Version ("http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Aut3d2Kyul-J5RSEd3AH7w?feat=directlink))

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7nO3EBpvAsc/Sy2yYUyvpPI/AAAAAAAAF_g/7fBQySpFzT0/s400/mini_cake_01b.jpg ("http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Aut3d2Kyul-J5RSEd3AH7w?feat=directlink)

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!

Oren
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Whenever you are photographing food, try to do it from a different angle and not from the same angle we (human) normally see this food.

Also, the shot is too tight - there is almost zero space between the cake and the bottom of the frame.

Happy holidays!

Sean Setters
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
I like Oren's suggestions, but I'll go one step further--I don't like the placement of the coffee mug. It seems distracting where it is.

Other than those relatively small quibbles, I really like the shot. The lighting and depth of field are well suited to the image.

Wes
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Like the others it is a good shot but a little to tight. I also think there is some more detail in the whipped cream and cherry that could be brought out by dropping the exposure a little.

MrGreenBug
12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Whenever you are photographing food, try to do it from a different angle and not from the same angle we (human) normally see this food.

Also, the shot is too tight - there is almost zero space between the cake and the bottom of the frame.

Happy holidays!
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thank you, Oren for your comments. At first, I was bit confused by your comment of trying to shoot food on a different angle. I guess my basic instinct was to take a photo of food the way we (human) usually see food. Actually, I would have tried to shoot it at a low level but was afraid missing out thecherry on top -- I guess this is one lesson learned: shoot as many angles and perspective of the food to bring out the most interesting position. [:D]

Shot too tight? [:D] I would have more options if I had shot more... [:D]

I like Oren's suggestions, but I'll go one step further--I don't like the placement of the coffee mug. It seems distracting where it is.

Other than those relatively small quibbles, I really like the shot. The lighting and depth of field are well suited to the image.

Thank you Sean for your input. As I have mentioned above, if I took more shots I would have discovered more options. [:D] Lesson learned!!!

I thought the lighting was a bit off. I felt it had too much yellow in it. I'm glad somehow that was positive. Regarding the depth of field, thank you for the positive feedback. I have envisioned that and I think I have nailed that part. [:D]

Thank you again for your time for providing input. It is all very much appreciated. Hope I can send some of these mini cakes to you guys.. Hohoho!!! [:D]

Cheers!

MrGreenBug
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Like the others it is a good shot but a little to tight. I also think there is some more detail in the whipped cream and cherry that could be brought out by dropping the exposure a little.

I agree on this point. I was also looking for details on the whipped cream. As I have mentioned to Oren and Sean, if I took more shots... I would have more... [:D] Thank you Wes for the additional pointer.

Cheers!

ShutterbugJohan
12-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I agree with everyone, but I think that it is also too green/yellow. Nice shot otherwise. [:)]

Flaming
12-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Good shot. Really like the ideas from the others. I will agree with ShutterbugJohan. I see it as too 'warm'.

Oren
12-22-2009, 03:11 AM
I agree with ALL the above suggestions. I actually thought about every single one of them but was too lazy to write them all [:$]

Hmm... there is just one thing that I'm not sure about though - the DOF. I'm not sure that I like it. Next time shot as many pictures as you can with different DOFs, different angles and so on... then choose the best ones.

MrGreenBug
12-22-2009, 03:17 AM
I agree with everyone, but I think that it is also too green/yellow. Nice shot otherwise. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Thanks ShutterbugJohan for the comments. Indeed there's a lot of yellow in it.

Good shot. Really like the ideas from the others. I will agree with ShutterbugJohan. I see it as too 'warm'.

Thank you Flaming. Yep, you can say that it's too warm. I'll try to modify the lighting a bit and I'll post again. [:D]

Many thanks to everyone for all the input and comments. I'll try to edit the green-yellowish cast. Just won't be able to recompose the objects and move the mug away. [:D]

MrGreenBug
12-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Got a chance to revisit the post processing the photo above. I was able to get some detail out of the whipped cream but I'm not quite sure how it turned out. I feel that the overall photo became underexposed.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7nO3EBpvAsc/SzMOk-d_WXI/AAAAAAAAGB8/bkBks5TH-lE/s400/mini_cake_01_c.jpg ("http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/udzYgS76zVW9akUyraW_Pg?authkey=Gv1sRgCKLdm7Wqt7a-4AE&amp;feat=directlink)

Moreover, I was lucky to have a chance again to take photos of the mini cakes. I changed the perspective. I shot lower almost level to the table the cake was on. Your C&amp;Cs again will be very much appreciated.

18-55mm IS @ 55mm, f/5.6, 1/20sec, ISO 100

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7nO3EBpvAsc/SzMNGw2XxXI/AAAAAAAAGB0/l8f6eaW62RQ/s400/IMG_0902.jpg ("http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6I34w1lC17ZW9QoSJ3iKeg?feat=directlink)

Thank you again for viewing.

wickerprints
12-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Just fixing the white balance on the original shot was a vast improvement. Accurate WB is absolutely critical to food photography--people are very sensitive to color casts for food.

Second image is good. I think you actually need to strike a balance between the two angles; one is too high, the other too low. Try something in between. Try making the background more color-neutral.

If you want to see really professional food photography, just visit Martha Stewart's website. Study how they shot the image. How did they make the food as appealing as possible?

Oren
12-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Ok - wow, I'm impressed.

First, the fix to the original picture seemed to me for the first moment like you had taken the picture again. Now it looks much better (but all the original comments/suggestion still hold).

As for the new shot - awesome! the low angle and the fork that is now more in focus look great - almost like a professional shot [H]

With that said, it's still to tight in my opinion - specifically on the left hand side of the frame.

Good job!

MrGreenBug
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Just fixing the white balance on
the original shot was a vast improvement. Accurate WB is absolutely
critical to food photography--people are very sensitive to color casts
for food.

Second image is good. I think you actually need to strike a balance
between the two angles; one is too high, the other too low. Try
something in between. Try making the background more color-neutral.

If you want to see really professional food photography, just visit
Martha Stewart's website. Study how they shot the image. How did they
make the food as appealing as possible?

Thank you wickerprints for your comments and suggestions. Thank you for pointing out about the WB and color cast for food, I haven't read upon that yet. I'll look at MS website soon. Thanks for referring a site.

Ok - wow, I'm impressed.

First, the fix to the original picture seemed to me for the first moment like you had taken the picture again. Now it looks much better (but all the original comments/suggestion still hold).

As for the new shot - awesome! the low angle and the fork that is now more in focus look great - almost like a professional shot /emoticons/emotion-11.gif

With that said, it's still to tight in my opinion - specifically on the left hand side of the frame.

Good job!
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks Oren! Composition wise on the first photo can't be change in PS. [:D]

About the second photo, thank you! As I have limited space to work with, I opted to take tight shots or else I'd be including the rest of the unwanted background. [:D]

Thank you again guys for the wonderful comments, suggestions, and support!

Cheers!

Oren
12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I opted to take tight shots or else I'd be including the rest of the unwanted background.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I hate when it happens (and it happens too many times!).

Jeff Lucia
12-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's a suggestion that might or might not be helpful...the overall mood of both shots would be a better match for breakfast than for cake. It's not just the yellowish-green cast of the first image, although that does contribute to the "morning" look. Have you considered using background colors that are more in the earth tone range, or a dark wood table with a dark brown or maroon linen napkin? One other idea would be to use lighting that's a little less smooth -- think evening and drama and moodiness. It will accentuate the specialness of the cake. Another suggestion would be to put the fork on the left or very carefully arrange it on the plate.

This just occurred to me, but you could also try putting an ad on Craigslist for a food stylist -- professional stylists have all kinds of tricks. It might be worth hiring one for a couple of sessions just for the learning experience.

Good luck and good cake!

MrGreenBug
12-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I hate when it happens (and it happens too many times!).

I can't say it better than this.. [:D]

Flaming
12-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Love the redo! The whole thing looks new with just a shift in white balance. I also like the lower angle. There are a lot of things that make it cool, but I think that the color is too flat. Not that it is particularly bad, but there is an element that is missing with so little color in the image. I would suggest that the mug be a muted color that is not the same as the background. You don't want to have a bright color on it since that would draw attention from the subject but it looks flat with a background the same color as the mug. The reason that I noticed this was the large amount of blue you have for a background and it seems to just give it that amount of color that make it attractive to look at as a whole.

Just my two cents,

Samuel

MrGreenBug
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Here's a suggestion that might or might not be helpful...the overall mood of both shots would be a better match for breakfast than for cake. It's not just the yellowish-green cast of the first image, although that does contribute to the "morning" look. Have you considered using background colors that are more in the earth tone range, or a dark wood table with a dark brown or maroon linen napkin? One other idea would be to use lighting that's a little less smooth -- think evening and drama and moodiness. It will accentuate the specialness of the cake. Another suggestion would be to put the fork on the left or very carefully arrange it on the plate.

This just occurred to me, but you could also try putting an ad on Craigslist for a food stylist -- professional stylists have all kinds of tricks. It might be worth hiring one for a couple of sessions just for the learning experience.

Thanks Jeff for the wonderful input. Indeed, the photos have a "breakfast feeling" in it. I'll try on your suggestions when I get the chance to have one those mini cakes again. [:)]

Good luck and good cake!

Wonderful!

MrGreenBug
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Love the redo! The whole thing looks new with just a shift in white balance. I also like the lower angle. There are a lot of things that make it cool, but I think that the color is too flat. Not that it is particularly bad, but there is an element that is missing with so little color in the image. I would suggest that the mug be a muted color that is not the same as the background. You don't want to have a bright color on it since that would draw attention from the subject but it looks flat with a background the same color as the mug. The reason that I noticed this was the large amount of blue you have for a background and it seems to just give it that amount of color that make it attractive to look at as a whole.

Just my two cents,

Samuel
<p style="CLEAR: both"]

Thank you, Samuel for the comments and suggestions. I like your suggestion regarding the mug. I'll try to do a combination of your suggestion and Jeff's when I get the chance to get some of those mini cakes again -- hopefully soon!

Cheers!