PDA

View Full Version : Histogram view first or full photo view first on rear LCD?

csphua
12-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Hi,

I find that the small thumbnail view of photo I taken when viewing histogram too hard to spot issue like closed eyes, slight movement/blur or not enough depth of field of background. I often have to switch between histogram view and full LCD view of the photo by pressing the <INFO> button.

When shooting events, I do not have the luxurious of holding a group of people back long enough for me to check histogram then check full LCD view of photo... I could normally check one of these only. Is there a way I can check both easily in one view without pressing any button on the camera? Do you know what is the best practice? Any tips to share?

I wish there is a view where it just shows the thumbnail view and histogram only, minus all the other textual/EXIF info which I won't care at that moment. This could make the thumbnail view of photo bigger and easier to spot issue I mentioned above while checking the histogram.

I have 50D, 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 580 EX II.

Thanks.

clemmb
12-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Just a tip.

When I shoot large groups I shoot three to five shots. I check the histogram for exposure on the first shot. With three to five shots of the group I can take someones eyes(in photoshop) from one shot to open them in another.

I always tell the group to not move because I am going to shoot several times. I try to make some jokes about it to keep their attention.

Hope this helps

Mark

BCalkins
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
If you have it on the histogram view, you can use the zoom in button to 'hide' the histogram and data and inspect the shot with a full screen photo view. Next shot reverts back to the shot + histogram again. It still takes a button press but at least it is the button under your thumb, not the harder to get to info button.

As for tips - for a group shot I would tend to get the exposure right first, then focus on directing and trying to get a shot with everyone's eyes open.

Hope that helps!

csphua
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tips.

iND
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Canon menu has a setting to have "blinkies' on the areas that are over exposed.

You can set the LCD to full photo review and set the white outs to blink.

Over exposure is usually what I am interested in.

musickna
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I find the 'blinkies' feature very useful too. I usually use the miniature image plus histogram display preferring on the whole to rely on my histogram profile rather than the image itself. I always shoot RAW so I have plenty of opportunity to modify the final image. It's taken me a while to fully appreciate the usefulness of the histogram, now I feel naked without it.