PDA

View Full Version : How to use a flash properly

Roland Scheiner
01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Although the flash technique of Canon´s 580EXII/430EXII has improved the possibility of capturing flash lit photos for amateurs tremendously, it is still not so easy to get satifiying results. I have two 580 EXII and a 5DMarkII two softboxes and a reflector gold/silver with 100 cm diam. and three stands.

Looking for helping I studies a few books. But the best advice gave me the tutorial video "Canon Speedlite 580EXII/430EXII edited by Blue Crane Digital
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />
<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11" />
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOKUME~1\Nutzer\LOKALE~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_ filelist.xml" />
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:HyphenationZone>21</w:HyphenationZone>
<w:PunctuationKerning />
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas />
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables />
<w:SnapToGridInCell />
<w:WrapTextWithPunct />
<w:UseAsianBreakRules />
<w:DontGrowAutofit />
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"]
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0cm;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
margin:70.85pt 70.85pt 2.0cm 70.85pt;
mso-header-margin:35.4pt;
mso-footer-margin:35.4pt;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<p class="MsoNormal"]www.bluecranedigital.com
<p class="MsoNormal"]I can recommend this video. It put me in a position make (in my opinion) sufficiently captured portraits in my little "studio". One of my perceptions was: 3 flashes are better than 2. The more flashes you can use, the better you can control the light. Also the mixture of daylight coming through the window or the door with flashlight seems to better than flashlight only. The question is, is it worthwhile to invest approx 1500 EURO/2000 USD plus stands etc.only to make sometime a few portraits.
<p class="MsoNormal"]
<p class="MsoNormal"]I would have liked very much to the first two pictures I took. But unfortunately I don&acute;t know at all how to add the pictures to my post. I know how to downsized the photos to the permitted size.
<p class="MsoNormal"]I should be very grateful if somebody could explain to me, how to add the photos.
<p class="MsoNormal"]

Mark Elberson
01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]Roland,<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]While editing your post, click on the film strip looking thingy. If you mouse over it the caption "Insert Media" comes up. It's pretty self explanatory from there.<o:p></o:p>

Chuck Lee
01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Looking for helping

Roland,

I highly suggest www.strobist.com ("http://www.strobist.com). Start here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html ("http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html)

I can't say I've seen a bettereducational source for flash photography using off-camera shoe mount flashes. He also delves into studio lighting as well.

You will find that it is always good to have at least 3 lights, sometimes even 4. There are however, times when you want to use only one or two to get a more dramatic effect.

Hope the link helps.