PDA

View Full Version : Help with Speedlight 430XII

prideandfight
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi!

I've read all through the flash thread, but I'm still confused, so Iapologizefor my idiocy. I've recently picked up my first Speedlight. I dropped some cash and went with the 430XII. I've been playing with it, but now I have a few questions. I want to set my flash up off the camera. I was not aware that I needed a second speedlight to do so. Is there anyway for my camera (XTi) to communicate with my speedlight or do I need an additional one, or a trigger system?

Sparknotes: Want to get off camera flash going.

Can my one flash work with my Xti?

If not, what steps can I take to get it working?

Thanks so much

neuroanatomist
01-15-2010, 10:29 PM
No, you need something else to trigger it. The 430EX II can only be a slave in a wireless setup, so you need a master. The new 7D body can serve as a master, but not your XTi. You need a 580EX II flash, one of the macro flashes, or the ST-E2 wireless transmitter.

btaylor
01-15-2010, 11:10 PM
or a non-canon radio trigger. Have a look at the Yongnuo rf602 transmitter. They work really well and are very cheap. for a single off camera flash setup it would probably be around $40 US (can't be bothered looking it up). I 'd suggest you get an extra reciever as well in case you get another flash at some stage.

This way you save many hundreds on a 580exII or the ST-E2 transmitter.

peety3
01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
You can buy an extension cable - Canon ones are 2m long (i.e. short, but they do work). Off-brand cables are available in longer versions.

Sean Setters
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Wow, they summed up the possibilities quite nicely.

:-)