PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 5D Mark II Shutter Sound

Mark Elberson
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
<span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]Goliath Nation Bank (GNB) felt appropriate to grant me and with a yearend bonus so it gives me great pleasure to announce that I am now a <span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]Canon EOS 5D Mark II (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-Digital-Camera-Review.aspx]<span style="font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;)<span style="font-size: small; font-family: arial,helvetica,sans-serif;"]owner :-)

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Arial;"]I picked up a refurbished model from Adorama...god I love their selection of refurbished goods! I digress, I just got it and haven't had a lot of time to play yet (I plan on giving it a full test over the weekend). One thing I have noticed though is that the shutter sounds NOTHING at all like my 50D. This isn't a bad thing but I was/am a little concerned. My 50Dsounds fast and crisp. The 5D sounds like a rubber band hitting a piece of tin. Is this how it should sound?

Keith B
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah sounds about right. I was a little taken how different it was from my 40D. It sounds completely different than my buddies 5D mkI also.

piiooo
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
First off, congrats on your new purchase and wishes of many many good photos!!!

I describe the 5DIIshutter sound as metalic/springy and find it quite different fromthe sound madeany other DSLR that I owned/used.

I investigated this issue with Canon repsat B&amp;H event spaceand tried the reps' 5DII bodies and all 5DII B&amp;H floor models and I am happy to tell you it is quite normal.

I hope other 5DII users can confirm it.

asmodai
01-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I changed from the 20d to the 5dII. It's weird to have the adapt to a new kind of auditory feedback, but it grows on ya.

If you're real worried, go check out the 5dII review on this site. There's a recording of the shutter sound.

Mark Elberson
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks all. I feel much better now. I'm sure after a while my 50D will become the "odd" sounding shutter.

I couldn't find the shutter sound on Bryan's review. I know he often includes it in his reviews so I did look. I'll check again.

asmodai
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
If you're like me you ctrl+f'd 'sound' and didn't find it. Try 'audio'.

Burst

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-Burst.mp3

Single shot:

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Sounds/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II.mp3

Keith B
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks all. I feel much better now. I'm sure after a while my 50D will become the "odd" sounding shutter.

I couldn't find the shutter sound on Bryan's review. I know he often includes it in his reviews so I did look. I'll check again.

Scroll until you see the christmas tree lights referring to the black spot issue, you'll see the shutter/FPS chart and it will be just below that and a couple paragraphs.

Mark Elberson
01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Scroll until you see the christmas tree lights referring to the black spot issue, you'll see the shutter/FPS chart and it will be just below that and a couple paragraphs.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Found it...man that 1Ds Mark III shutter sounds sweet [H]

Mark Elberson
01-21-2010, 03:00 PM
If you're like me you ctrl+f'd 'sound' and didn't find it. Try 'audio'.

Thanks! I Ctrl + F'd "shutter" which didn't find it. "audio" would have been the ticket [:)]

peety3
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Found it...man that 1Ds Mark III shutter sounds sweet /emoticons/emotion-11.gif
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. The 1D Mark III is mighty nice too. I was at an event in October, and between four of us there was a 1Ds2, a 1D3, a 5D, a 5D2, and a 40D. (Warning: biased opinion here) The 1D3 was the best of the bunch, the rest all sounded similar to each other but not nearly as crisp as a third-generation 1-series.