PDA

View Full Version : best way to eliminate unwanted objects from images

Brendan7
01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi all,

When I have time I photograph birds in my backyard. It makes for a nice weekend hobby. Anyway, I often put my setup near a birdfeeder to attract more birds (reading Alan Murphy's guide to setup songbird photography, working on a new setup). I often find myself with photos like these:

/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_1638.jpg

As you can see, there is a birdfeeder underneath the bird's tail. What is the best way to remove these kinds of distractions?

Recently I have been using Gimp (free photoshop, basically) and its clone tool. Here's the edit:

/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_16382.jpg

Am I going the right way with this? I am no pro with post processing and would like a few tips; is this how it's supposed to be done?

thanks for all of your help [:D]

brendan

Matt.s.Maneri
01-26-2010, 05:55 PM
First I would suggest trying to compose the shot without the feeder in it, maybe get in closer.

If your only able to get a well composed picture with the feeder in it I would stick with the method your using.

Oren
01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Well it seems that you did a pretty good job - both with the clone tool and with getting the shot itself [;)]

What I'd like to suggest is: selectively sharpen the bird a bit more.

btaylor
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Spot on with the cloning there Brendan. As someone mentioned previously it's nice to be able to get the shot without things in it you don't want but sometimes it's unavoidable.

I have no problem cloning certain parts of an image out if I have to -I think post processing is a big part of the photography process these days and should be taken advantage of it the opportunity exists to enhance an image.

Gimp's a pretty handy tool for the price too [:P]

Brendan7
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
What I'd like to suggest is: selectively sharpen the bird a bit more

right... (sigh of relief)

good to know I did an acceptable job.