PDA

View Full Version : Help with how to shoot birds

Brendan7
01-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi all,

I've been using a DSLR for four months. So far all my shots of my favorits subjects – birds – have been in my backyard. I am thinking of expanding my backyard shooting possibilities. Should I build a legit "songbird setup"? Does anyone have suggestions for a makeshift one? Should I use a blind? That's something I'm looking at. One other thing, often when I am close to the birds only chickadees and nuthatches have the guts to come to the feeding stations, perches, etc. Is this because of my big white lens? (300mm f/4)? Should I buy a LensCoat? So far I haven't found a good trip-worthy sanctuary or refuge inside of ninety minutes away ( I live in Philadelphia).

Just looking for some advice from some fellow bird photographers. [:D]

thanks,

brendan

oh just for kicks here's my best recent image:

7D + 300mm f4l is usm @ f/5.6, 1/200, ISO 320. Manual Exposure, Handheld, Mode 1 IS.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/IMG_5F00_2207.jpg

Oren
01-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Well I'm not a bird photographer, but you've got a 7D and yet you shoot at 1/200 ISO 320... try ISO 800 or even 1600 with a faster shutter speed (and maybe IS turned off).

Great picture btw [:)]

Brendan7
01-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Well I'm not a bird photographer, but you've got a 7D and yet you shoot at 1/200 ISO 320... try ISO 800 or even 1600 with a faster shutter speed (and maybe IS turned off).

Great picture btw /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Joel Eade
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Hi Brendan,

I think Oren is correct. You're picture is well composed and looks sharp but is underexposed which really hinders your ability to bring out the details. Try some shots with the ISO at 1600 and try to get the shutter speed higher...say around 1/400 or faster. It's very different from film, if you get the exposure right the higher ISO won't hurt you.

As far as set ups go I think Alan Murphy is one of the best: http://alanmurphyphotography.com/blog/ ("http://alanmurphyphotography.com/blog/)

Joel