PDA

View Full Version : T2i or 7D

VSUScotty
02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Looking for opinions on my upgrade decision.

I've been using a 20D with a 28-105 3.5 that was given to me. I want to upgrade equipment for the obvious reasons the new technology can give.

I'm debating between saving money for the lighter T2i that was just announced, or getting the 7D.

I mainly shoot recreational photos of either landscapes or people, depending on where I am. I also do some sports/ action photography and will eventually be getting a 70-200 2.8 IS.

Since I've been using a 20D, I like the controls on the 7D better, but learning the T2i couldn't be too difficult I would hope.

With either camera, I would replace my current lens. Probably get the 28-135 with the 7D or the 18-55 with the T2i.

Any input?

ddt0725
02-14-2010, 03:06 PM
OMG! I was faced with this same dilemma all week! Finally, decided on the 7D today upgrading from a T1i.
If you decide on the T2i, I will sell you my 18-55mmso you can just buy the body only and save some $$. I only used it a couple times and I just got it in September. Let me know if interested.

It is a tough decision. The T2i has made some very nice improvements over the T1i and the price is very atractive.Less weight isalways a plus. I probably would have gotten that and put the saved $$ toward a lens but since I sold my T1i yesterday, I don't have the patience to be without a camera for an entire month!

Denise

Brendan7
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Scotty,

Comparing the 7D and T1i is like comparing a BMW and a Lamborghini. The 7D is better at everything. If you can afford it, go for the 7D.

However, I will advise you to buy neither. You need a better lens, a 20D and L-series lens will give you far better results than a 7D and 28-135. So, I'll suggest you buy a 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens for your 20d. Glass is always the #1 factor, an amateur body and pro lens will make better images than a pro body and amateur lens. Get some good glass first, then buy a better body.

my 2¢: Glass before body.

Good Luck!

brendan

Brendan7
02-14-2010, 03:32 PM
It is a tough decision. The T2i has made some very nice improvements over the T1i and the price is very atractive.Less weight isalways a plus. I probably would have gotten that and put the saved $ toward a lens but since I sold my T1i yesterday, I don't have the patience to be without a camera for an entire month!

Denise, you said that your T1i was "slow and small". The T2i is both of those things, the 7D is in a whole other class of camera. Believe me, you made the right decision. The 7D is a huge step up for you, I'll think you'll benefit from it more than a T2i.

Good Luck!

brendan

VSUScotty
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks burns.

That definitely changes the way I am thinking. The lens may need ot be the first upgrade before the camera. My 20D was my father's, and thinking of it now, he purchased his 70-200 and 28-70 before switching to the pair of 1D's that he uses now. I've been told that the glass will always last longer than the camera b/c of technology changes.

Brendan7
02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
I've been told that the glass will always last longer than the camera b/c of technology changes.

True dat. Lenses have a 6-10 year product cycle, Bodies have a 1-3 year product cycle. Lenses also last longer, and are not subject to digital rot. In general, glass is a better investment.

brendan

iFloyd
02-14-2010, 04:44 PM
7D for sure!

Fast Glass
02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd go with a glass upgrade, it makes more sence in your position.

John.

HiFiGuy1
02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Skip the body for now, and get the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS that you had your eye on. The 20D is still a good camera, but as John says, glass is king. It will work on whatever body you may end up with in the future.

Daniel Browning
02-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Probably get the 28-135 with the 7D

That's $1900 right now, and I don't think it would be the best choice for what you want to shoot. Here are a few alternatives for a similar amount of money:

20D + 70-200 f/2.8 IS ($1800)

T2i + 70-200 f/4 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ($1900 - best for people/landscapes)

7D + 70-200 f/4 + Canon 18-55 IS ($2400 - best for sports)

It sounds like people and landscape is most important, so I suggest the second option: T2i + 70-200 f/4 + Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ($1900). It gives you the best all-around quality and capability I think.

If sports and action is most important, then I suggest the 7D+70-200 f/4, and replacing your 28-105 with the kit lens (18-55 IS). Your people/lanscape shots will be a huge step up from the 20D+28-105, but they wont be as good as the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

The 20D and f/2.8 will still be much noisier than T2i at f/4. And sometimes you will have to stop down to f/4 anyway to get sufficient DOF, making the noise situation even worse.

For sports/action at high speeds (1/500+), the I.S. will be no benefit, so you can save a lot of money by getting the non-IS version. But then the same lens wont be as useful for landscapes or people. (If people are more important, go with the f/4 IS.)

The T2i has many features over the 20D that I consider vital, such as live view, video, screen size, anti-dust, etc. Your mileage may vary, but I would much prefer the T2i with 70-200 f/4 IS than the 20D with 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

In turn, the 7D has many vital features over the T2i: microadjust (makes autofocus much sharper for me), frame rate, autofocus, ergonomics, build quality, etc. It's really great for sports/action.

Hope that helps.

Steven23
02-15-2010, 01:40 AM
I agree, the 70-200/f4 should do well saves a ton of money unless you that extra stop of light. Most cases you don't.

scalesusa
02-16-2010, 02:53 PM
The 20d had a much larger body than the T2i, my hand is too large to comfortably grip the Rebels.

Don't believe everything you hear about getting a better lens. As long as you stop it down a bit,your lens will our resolve the sensor of any current digital camera. Certainly, "L" lenses have better construction, faster autofocus, and are sharper at wide apertures and the edges, and have less CAbut at F8, there is not much difference in sharpness among them. IS is a great feature for those who move their camera around when photographing still objects. A high shutter speed also fixes that.

Now that I've said that, if you do purchase "L" lenses, they do not seem to depreciate in value over the years like a body does, so its not likke buying a body that will lose most of its value in 5 years. In 5 years, your "L"lens may very well appreciate in value.

The actual sensor IQ of bodies has not really improved that much. a 8mp 20d will take excellent images. a 5D MK II has the same pixel density as your 20D, just a larger sensor.There are some useful features on the 7D, like that large bright viewfinder and large bright LCD on the rear, and the improved autofocus. However, if you are going to spend that much, also consider a good used 1D MK III for around $1900-$2000. They are far better overall than the 7D. Another thought is to upgrade to a used 5D or a new 5D MK II.

Sheiky
02-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Don't believe everything you hear about getting a better lens. As long as you stop it down a bit,your lens will our resolve the sensor of any current digital camera. Certainly, "L" lenses have better construction, faster autofocus, and are sharper at wide apertures and the edges, and have less CAbut at F8, there is not much difference in sharpness among them. IS is a great feature for those who move their camera around when photographing still objects. A high shutter speed also fixes that.

Yeah you might wanna take every picture at F8 minimum and with a shutterspeed of 1/500 to compensate for the loss of IS. You're probably going to shoot full time at iso 3200+

Should be worth it I guess...[:(] No really I don't get it at all, that would be very frustrating! And you would probably be better of with a high level point and shoot.

I second Daniels opinion.

malfunctions
02-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I just clicked the 'quick reply'... I too have a 20D and perhaps I am on a mission. It is not the back, it is the front. The front end of the system is the mission. Focus on the lens and the rest follows. I am not disappointed with the camera body with my focus being on the lens. The rest is detail that can be argued about later. Good luck!

ddt0725
02-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Denise, you said that your T1i was "slow and small". The T2i is both of those things, the 7D is in a whole other class of camera. Believe me, you made the right decision. The 7D is a huge step up for you, I'll think you'll benefit from it more than a T2i.

Good Luck!

brendan

Well, I have had a total of maybe 2 hours to try out my new 7D & 17-55mm lens but in that short amount of time I was in complete heaven!! Wow, what a difference! Granted, the 7D is alittle heavier & the grip area is a tad bigger than what my hands wouldbe really comfortable with but with that comes a much more solid feeling camera. I haven't had time to start reading the book yet and this most definitely is a learning curve for me but I am going to be enjoying every minute of the challenge! This camera is much faster than the T1i was and with the new lens, things are looking much better! All I have right now is photos of my dogs but hopefully this weekend, I'll get outside with it.

Denise