PDA

View Full Version : How can I take better pictures of this scene

JJphoto
03-01-2010, 02:44 AM
these two pictures show there are 3 nets on the tree, and from the cropped one you can clearly see baby heronses. I took this picture from far distance( from the east to west in the afternoon) the tree is pretty high, but I can get close to the tree in any direction. because I can't fly like a hummingbird, so i really want to hear some suggestion from you guys,and I'm going to take some pictures on Friday.my longest lens is 300mm plus 1.4X TC and 1.6X cropped body.

no helicopter please!

thanks!

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0035.JPG

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0034.JPG

Bill W
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
JJ....I have similar situation w/my GBH rookery, it's surrounded by water and I shoot w/a 100-400 on a 40D.

My suggestion for you is to try to rent a larger lens, e.g. 500 f4 and to shoot facing the west in early morning light and vice versa in the later afternoon light.

GBH rookeries are great location for shooting....good luck

mbaltrusitis
03-01-2010, 11:35 AM
You are not too far off with your current composition. I would definitely consider returning at sunset/sunrise depending on which will give you better cover. If you can't get more color in there though, it would make a very nice looking B&W conversion, great shapes in there.

Rodger
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Looks like a nice spot! I agree with the others' suggestions. I think the composition is good, but go back at another time.

I would go there a half hour before sunrise and stay a half hour after. Same with sunset, although I wouldn't stay after lol. But nature photography isn't my forte.

-Rodger

Dan Fleming
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I would suggest evolving wings... [:P]

In all seriousness different light, or time which would achieve different light, is the ideal. (seeing as that is what everyone is saying!) If you can figure out some habits of those birds, when they are most likely to be in the nest, when the parents feed flightless young etc that could improve the interest level too.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
why can't you get close? Is the area fenced off?

Chuck Lee
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM
why can't you get close? Is the area fenced off?

I would guess altitude. The closer one gets the higher the nests.

Not quite as easy as water fowl at sea level..........LOL!!! [:D] (forgive me, I couldn't resist..[6]) You know I admire your work.

I had that problem with shooting an architectural shot not too long ago. Mounted my camera on my Paul Buff 13 foot light stand. Stood it up in the back of a pickup truck and fired the remote release with 10 sec timer to allow all vibration to settle. I was shooting at 17mm on a full frame camera. I could not begin to think how difficult the composition would be at this compound focal length. ? 448mm equiv. ?

Obviously, the higher the better and the longer the focal length the better. Also, remember relative humidity and try on a evening or morning that is fairly dry. Atmosphere is a killer on long range shots. Try to pick a day after a high pressure system has moved in.

Oh, and good luck!!

MattG
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree about the natural light. If possible try to get more colour involved. It seems a bit flat with the grey sky. Early mornign or late afternoon is always nice.

The first photo is balanced well with the virticle lines of the trees and the round nest aligned in a triangle shape.

Just figure out a way to add some sun light.

MattG

Rodger
03-01-2010, 09:00 PM
If possible try to get more colour involved. It seems a bit flat with the grey sky.

I believe that on the close cropped one, the grey background is actually the mountain in the background. In which case I would advise possibly changing angles. Then again, I'm not looking at the whole scene as the shooter is.

Good advice. I hope to see another version soon! It looks like a great location!

TheRoff
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
In addition to better light think about using a polarizing filter, maybe even a warming polarizing filter. It will cut haze and warm the colors.

Larry

btaylor
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I know you said no helicopters but....

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080909/Draganflyer-X6-DSC_3296-Extracted-Clear_540x405.png

THAT looks like fun.

Dan Fleming
03-02-2010, 12:04 AM
I know you said no helicopters but....

now if only it could hold an SLR!

Scott
03-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Nice one Ben

JJphoto
03-02-2010, 03:39 AM
thanks all for replying my post.

Bill, I know in this situation, the longer lens is always better. I'd like to try my 300mm first to see how it looks like.

Mbaltrusitis, the bad news is that this park will open at 7;30/AM and close at 5:00/PM. but your B&W idea really makes me excited, I can't wait to see the results.

Whatsreal, I don't expect to get either perfect lights(due to park schedule) or good BG(just the sky),so yes, capturing some interaction between the baby birds and their parents will be the only interesting thing here.thanks for the suggestion.

Nate, Sorry, I think it's my "not very good English" misled you.I was going to say I can get close to the tree. I just worried about the bad angle and BG cause the tree is pretty high. Do you have any suggestion for that?

Larry, I havn't tried any filters since I got my lens, I think I should try(maybe not this time though), thanks for your suggestion.

Chuck Lee, thank you for pointing out the weather factor, I never thought about that. but sadly, I don't have choices, Fridays are my only days to go out shoot(sometimes on Sunday for couple of hours). also car can't reach the spot, so using car or truck is not an option.

Btaylor, your helicopter with the camera looks very nice, however, I was wondering if it will makes the baby birds cry[:'(]?

also thanks Radger, Mattg ..., thank you guys for your comments too.

So I'm going to shoot on this Friday, please no rain and don't get bit by snake(I don't know if there is any).

JJphoto
03-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Ok, I went to shoot the GBH rookery. kind of disappointed, I didn't have enough time to wait for something great, also 420mm plus cropped body still wasn't long enough to get good shots.anyway, here is couple of shots I took at about 4:00/pm and I thought you guys might be interested to take a look. the first picture is an uncropped picture just to show how close I could get.I'll try to shoot in the morning as soon as I get a chance. I also tried B&W, it didn't seem like excited either. thanks for viewing.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0041.JPG

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0040.JPG

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.54/DPP_5F00_0039.JPG