PDA

View Full Version : Train

bob williams
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Here is one from my archives, though some technical errors, it's still one of my favorites--

Canon XTI, 24-105L @105MM, 105MM, F11, 1/250

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/Narrow-Gauge-Rail-Silverton-Co.jpg

Shea Design
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Nice! Was it a panic shoot? I know trains can come up quick..

-Shea

bob williams
03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
No, Infact I waited for it for about 45 minutes, but when it came, I realized my shutter was way to slow. I needed to keep the aperture fairly tight for DOF, but failed to raise ISO toget shutter speed up. And........it was too cold to wait another 6 hours for the next train.

Shea Design
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
f/11 1/250th iso 200 Seems reasonable (for shake), even for handheld, maybe a bit dark on the meter...

BTW - I don't usually recommend auto anything in photoshop, but auto color really neutralizes the blue cast of this shot, if you are interested in such things.

-S

bob williams
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
f/11 1/250th iso 200 Seems reasonable (for shake), even for handheld, maybe a bit dark on the meter...

BTW - I don't usually recommend auto anything in photoshop, but auto color really neutralizes the blue cast of this shot, if you are interested in such things.

-S
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Shea, I'll give it a try. The haze was very thick the day I took this shot, But maybe your trick will help neutralize some of that. Regarding the shake/movement, I chased this train for about 3 hours, and it seemed that almost all of the shots had a bit of movement blur. The one thing I thought about after seeing the results is that this train had a lot of side to side movement as welland I was always shooting it as it came towards me; With static objects I tend to do ok as far as camera shake goes, but I still need to work on camera shake when tracking a moving subject.

I do plan to go back there some day just to try this shot again.

Thanks again for your input, It's appreciated.

Bob

Alan
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM

-S
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bob, Shea is right about the blue cast. I also looked at it, and did some further work on it, as well.

I love this train shot, and it wouldn't take much to jazz it up with a few color corrections.

btaylor
03-08-2010, 11:33 PM
That is some amazing scenery Bob. I think the wide (ish) depth of field was a good choice here to retail some detail in the mountains/trees etc.

Where was it taken?

Oren
03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Really great shot and composition!

The only problem is the cropped train at the bottom.

bob williams
03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Bob, Shea is right about the blue cast. I also looked at it, and did some further work on it, as well.

I love this train shot, and it wouldn't take much to jazz it up with a few color corrections.

Alan, Please feel free to "Jazz it up", I played with it a little this morning in PS, but the auto color/levels didn't do much.I will work on it again tonight.

Question: Will any of the filters help with the haze?

JJphoto
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Bob, great shot! I think the number 486 is a lucky number on the train.[:)]

Alan
03-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Question: Will any of the filters help with the haze?
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bob, I'll post a rendition later.

Filters rarely help with removal of haze, in my experience. Your best bet is to increase the contrast. Setting the white and black points will do wonders on haze removal, too.

peterborough_photography
03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
great shot, nothing to take away really :-)

Todd Ovick
03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
bob, i love this shot! i did a quick color balance using NIK software color efx pro to take out some of that blue/cyan hue in the foreground.

EDITED POST:Bob, i tried the auto color that shea design suggested and got some good results and did some minor curves adjustments for contrast which brought your image to much the same as my original post as well as Alan's edited image. I think the curves adjustment might be the antidote to your haze question. Maybe Shea or Alan can suggest other options.
<div></div>

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.03/Narrow_2D00_Gauge_2D00_Rail_2D00_Silverton_2D00_Co-copy.jpg

Alan
03-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Todd, you're good. Very good. You beat me to the punch. Not knowing exactly what Bob saw, I didn't change a whole lot in the green trees, in the background.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.34/Narrow_2D00_Gauge_2D00_Rail_2D00_Silverton_2D00_Co-2.jpg

bob williams
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for all of your comments and feedback. Sorry, It me so long to get back to you. Anyway---This is why I love this site; everyone sees something different---but....after reading the comments and looking at the revisions, I was surprised that no one mentioned the blown out spot at the top right of the photo. I have looked at and adjusted this shot many times and never noticed it--thanks to this site I finally did.

Alan and Todd, thanks fortaking a shot at this---I like both a lot. Alan did a great job of neutralizing the haze, But I think that Todd got the green trees without turning the rocks green---Now I have to go back and see if I can do both.

Thanks for the comments,

Bob