PDA

View Full Version : 5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

matrixman45054
03-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm graduating from college in 41 days (not that I'm counting ;))and I'm looking to upgrade my Rebel Xt as a graduation present. I will have between $2500-$2800 to spend. Should I get the MkII and get started with modeling photography right now, or should I suck it up and wait another 9 months-ish and hope that the MkIII has been announced?

Sean Setters
03-27-2010, 10:36 PM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't enjoy something you don't have. There will always be a better camera on the horizon. Buy now, enjoy now.

bouwy
03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You can't enjoy something you don't have. There will always be a better camera on the horizon. Buy now, enjoy now.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hey Hey - Well said Sean.

matrixman45054
03-27-2010, 10:47 PM
That's very true. I think the 2 things that I really would like out of a newer 5D would be the 19pt autofocus and also the better noise reduction. That beng said though, I know of some pros who still use the 5D MkI, so sometimes it isn't the gear as much as it is the photographer.

Julius
03-28-2010, 02:54 AM
I have the 5D MII and the 1D MIV but still use the 5D MII the majority of the time for it's image quality. As long as you have good glass, you can't go wrong.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
03-28-2010, 05:15 AM
The ultimate purpose of a camera is to make photographs, no camera = no photographs, imagine all the moment you would miss if you didn't have a camera now! Get the 5D Mark II and start shooting!

Jarhead5811
03-28-2010, 11:11 PM
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
Awww...come on you don't think holding out for five years for the 63mp 5D MV would be worth it? [;)]

scalesusa
04-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Right now, a canon 5D can be had for about $2250 by using microsoft cashback on ebay and buying from a good seller like Adorama or Beach camera.

If and when a MK III comes out, there is no way to know what the initial cost will be, or even how long you will have to wait to actually get one. It will cost more, count on that.

I ordered my 5d MK II the day it was announced, but did not get it until early December. Many people delayed and then waited much longer than I did.

Brendan7
04-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Get neither and buy the 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM lens.

Okay, 5D2.

btaylor
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Go the 5D MkII - I pulled the trigger on it (with BG-E6 batterygrip)and the 24-70mm f/2.8L last night. I'll be on bread and water for the next month but I don't care. [&lt;:o)]

alexniedra
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
It will cost more, count on that.

I wouldn't be to sure of that. The 5D Mark I retailed at ~$3000 USD at its release. The 5D Mark II, on the other hand, had an initial MSRP in the neighbourhood of $2700. Will this trend continue? I sure hope so. [:)]

scalesusa
04-28-2010, 11:18 AM
The 5D MK II cost more than the original 5D at the time the 5D II was introduced, because over the years, as it became old technology, Cannon cut the price. The same is happening with the 5D MK II, Canon is dropping the price and discounts are easy to find.

By your way of thinking, the 1d MK IV would have cost less than a new 1D MK III! Its not going to happen.

andnowimbroke
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Here's my take on it. The only reason I'd wait for the MarkIII is to get a bigger discount on the MarkII. I'd be willing to bet the price of the new one will be at the higher end, if not, beyond your projected budget. Besides, we still don't know even IF it's coming out. We're talking at least five months away at best and you might only be saving one hundred dollars. You could prolly buy one now (don't be scared of refurbs) and sell enough pictures to cover that difference, and if the MarkIII never happens...it's just like Mr. Setters said:) OTOH, The 70-200mm dropped One hundred bucks in price one month after I bought it...then the new one came out th enext month. I think they sell the 70-200 MarkI's at Big Lots now. I feel soooo sick.

neuroanatomist
04-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I think they sell the 70-200 MarkI's at Big Lots now. I feel soooo sick.

Lol. Have you looked lately? Since the MkII came out (and sells at full list price), the price of the MkI version has actually gone UP - I presume that's because with the higher cost of the MkII, even a higher price on the MkI looks 'cheap' by comparison. Now, if you bought just before a rebate started, well...that causes queasiness! (I lucked out there with my 7D - I ordered it from Amazon just before the late winter rebates in March, but when CanonRumors broke the rebate news, it hadn't shipped yet, so I was able to cancel and reorder once the rebate was in effect.)

If it makes you feel less sick, everyone who currently has the 70-200 2.8 MkI in stock is selling it for $1900 - only $100 less than full list price!

starlight
04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Without any hesitation whatsoever, I can say get the 5D2. It's image quality is simply awesome. You're basically getting a 1D3 sensor with better guts and incredible low-light capabilities...and the 24-105mm lens is worth the extra few hundred dollars...

Then get the best glass you can afford...

I anticipate that I'll still be using my 5D2 at least 3-5 years from now.

andnowimbroke
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks, I do feel less sick now. I think I got mine in November when the price dropped $100 and was excited. Then a month later it dropped another $100 with an instantrebate I think. Then Canon announced the MarkII. I email Amazon and then Adorama (who it came from) to see if I could send it back for the new one (price was unknown at the time)or get a $100 credit. Their policy is only good for two weeks and I was at four, and they had no idea when the new one would be out. Missed it by that much. That's when I found out about CR and check them regularly (just in case).

Dallasphotog
04-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I just bought my second 5D MKII. Now the company will haveit's own copy. We absolutely love the camera for headshots, products and event coverage...and we are starting to use the video quite a bit more.

I'm sure the next camera will have cool new features, but the MKII is an outstanding tool.