PDA

View Full Version : newbie going crazy on DARK SHOTS

trosky
03-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Ok, guys i have a huge question. actually the question is really small, but has a huge significance. lol.

I have miopia, so i use glasses, and sometimes contacts. for some reason the Automatic focus of the camera has always a step further than my sight, and i've ajusted my viewfinder to my eyesight.

With this info given.. here's my problem.

Im using a Rebel T1i, and i can't take pictures at night. The camera doesn't recognize any focal points so it spends most of the time trying to focus on something, i can't see CRAP either through the viewfinder, and im using the 430ex flash, but the beam i guess isn't visible either... I've tried using the button on the camera to light up the flash so i could see something, but for some reason the AF doesn't work while im pressing that button.

Yesterday i did some beach shots, and the sunset was PERFECT!!! but the subject was BLACK, and pointing at the sun the camera on a 28-70 2.8 L lens and i couldn't focus. I had to resort to using a flashlight to light up the models face and actually using the AF to see the model's face and then shooting with the flash triggered by some DSLRKIT remote flash trigger (some cheap stuff from ebay).

What ideas can you experienced photographers give me for these dark scenarios?

elmo_2006
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
...what setting or creative setting are you using? I.e. Are you in Tv or AV or M mode etc...

crosbyharbison
04-01-2010, 01:17 AM
I'd suggest Lasik

neuroanatomist
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Do you have the AF assist turned off (C.Fn-8)? Are you using automatic focus point selection, or manual? It wouldn't surprise me that AF fails with the camera pointed directly at the sun. What sort of shot were you trying for with the person on the beach at sunset? Properly exposed subject with background blown out? Properly exposed sunset with the subject as a silhouette? Properly exposed sunset with fill-flash for your subject? Metering would be different for each of those (for the first, center AF point and spot metering, for the second, spot meter on the sky to one side of subject and recompose with AE lock, for the thirdspot meter on the sky to one side of subject and recompose with AE lock, use flash but with some negative flash exposure compensation).

Personally, when I had my T1i with a 430EX II mounted on it, it could AF on pretty much any subject (even a blank wall) in a pitch-black room.

trosky
04-01-2010, 01:26 PM
yeah im going for that.. saving some $$$

trosky
04-01-2010, 01:26 PM
elmo i usually shoot in manual.

trosky
04-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Do you have the AF assist turned off (C.Fn-8)? Are you using automatic focus point selection, or manual? It wouldn't surprise me that AF fails with the camera pointed directly at the sun. What sort of shot were you trying for with the person on the beach at sunset? Properly exposed subject with background blown out? Properly exposed sunset with the subject as a silhouette? Properly exposed sunset with fill-flash for your subject? Metering would be different for each of those (for the first, center AF point and spot metering, for the second, spot meter on the sky to one side of subject and recompose with AE lock, for the thirdspot meter on the sky to one side of subject and recompose with AE lock, use flash but with some negative flash exposure compensation).

Personally, when I had my T1i with a 430EX II mounted on it, it could AF on pretty much any subject (even a blank wall) in a pitch-black room.

bro, i have to be honest.. I was reading yoursuggestionsand i found myself LOST. lol. U mention so many things that i've never used lol. Im going to read & read over and over it, until i know exactly what you are talking about.
<div>I checked on the C.FN8 and it's enabled. The automatic focus selection i don't know what u mean by it, but i have AF on AI servo. I was able to do AF straight at sunset with the subject in front and it focused well.</div>
<div></div>
<div>I'll have to read about the Metering and AE LOCK because i still don't understand what it is, what it does or what it's for. If someone would b kind enough to give me simple and quick explanation. lol.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Question.. do you always trust on AF for quick shots? or MF is your primary choice all the time?</div>

neuroanatomist
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
but i have AF on AI servo

In AI-Servo, there is no focus confirmation (no beep, no green dot in the viewfinder). If that's why you think it wasn't 'finding focus' you're right - it's not supposed to (well, it is focusing, but it's not confirming that for you). AI-Servo is for tracking moving objects - running sports players, flying birds, etc. If you're shooting a person posing for a photograph, you should be in One Shot (or at least AI-Focus, which starts out as One Shot then automatically switches to AI-Servo if the subject moves).

I'd suggest that you get yourself a guide book to the T1i - and read it!

trosky
04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
im on it already :)

nickds7
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Once you switch it out of AI-servo, you will see that the IR beam on your flash will make the difference between focusing and not focusing in a dark area. I use it in night clubs a lot, and even with fog hampering it, it still works at decent distances/