PDA

View Full Version : Senior Pictures

Joel Bookhammer
01-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Im just really getted started in shooting pictures for other people, I love photography and find it rewarding. This image is one I did for free fora friend, she needed senior pictures and was short on time, there were alot of nice images from the shoot at a variety of locations includeing old ruins, a mountain meadow, dowtown urban shots, and the last ones were in a lake....yes not near or by but she wanted to go in, the light wasnt good but it was fun. Let me know what you think.

40D 24-70 2.8 at 35mm 5.6f shutter speed of 1/60th

/resized-image.ashx/__size/400x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.61/IMG_5F00_9012b.jpg

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
You need to use fill flash. For this image, fill flash can lighten up shadow areas like her eye sockets.

Jessica Robinson
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree that the subject looks a little dark - and with her black shirt she blends into the wall a little. I have no experience using any kind of a flash, but it sounds like Sinh has a good suggestion. Do you have any other photos from the shoot to share? Sounds like you had a nice variety of locations!

My biggest hurdle to overcome is my shyness, so I end up doing a lot of portraits for friends for free. I'm hoping once I feel confident in my abilities with them that I'll actually be able to charge people. ;)

Joel Bookhammer
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I do have more pictures from the shoot hopefully later this evening I can post some. I intentionally made the image dark but not as dark as its appearing, I just got a new monitor because my old one crashed and havent had a change to calibrate it yet, but I do agree that alittle bit of fill flash would help.

I feel the same way Jessica, I dont feel my abilities are up to my standards and not sure if they will ever be but friends are always a joy to photograph, my sister is in a local band so hopefully sooni can do some "band cover shots" for fun.

Joel Bookhammer
01-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Here is my favorite picture from the mini shoot, We were walking around the girls hometown looking for somewhere interesting and this narrow alley and iron grate caught my eye.

/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x900/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.61/IMG_5F00_9009ab.jpg

40D 24-70 2.8 at f 5.0 1/80th and iso 200

Jessica Robinson
01-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow - looks like a completely different girl! Definitely different from the ripped jeans look. :) Looks nice - I like the lighting on this one better. Was this shot handheld or on a tripod?

Jeff
01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
The second shot makes me dizzy. All the bars and shallow dof.... whew. The first one definitely needs help and the second is a complete turn around when it comes to quality - very nice quality of light and pose, but the bars are distracting.