PDA

View Full Version : AlienBees' B800 triggered by 430EXs (X3) triggered by a ST-E2?

Jarhead5811
05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
I've had my ST-E2 and three 430EXs for over a year and a half but haven't been very excited about them until ETTL disappointed me to the point I started experiment with manual settings. Man I'm kicking myself for wasting the last year and a half with ETTL and not trying manual. Which brings me to a decision point. I'm wanting a fourth light source.

I've been eyeballing YNs and Vivitars. As well as RF-602s Well, I finally checked out AlienBees' website and they're surprisingly inexpensive. I'm thinking I'll get this:

AlienBees' "The Beginner Bee" Package:
1- B800
1-CB1 Single Light Carrying Bag
1- LS3050 10-foot General Purpose Stand
1- U48TWB 48-inch Shoot-Thru Umbrella

This would be breaking the bank a bit. It seems that the B800 shouldbe able to betriggered optically by my existing setup until I get a RF based trigger setup?I posted an almost identical post on the Flickr Stobist forum and while some say the nearIR from my ST-E2 will set off the optical slave on the B800. Is there anyone that can confirm or disprove this?

Sean Setters
05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
hmm...I've never heard of the near IR setting off the optical slave of the AB. However, I don't have the supplies to prove/disprove it.

freelanceshots
05-07-2010, 01:06 AM
I have Alien Bee 800's where I've never heard or seen these units being able to read any infrared (IR)signals from their optical slaves. The only way to trigger them is to have a wireless trigger system set up, have a sync cord attached or have two units close enough together so that one optical slave can see the flash from the other unit. Correction, I might not have understood the question so disregard my post all together as I don't know what near-IR is.

Mark Elberson
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Or you could always add another 430EX to your arsenal :-)

FS: Canon 430EX Speedlite ("/forums/t/3565.aspx)

Obviosly if you're looking for a big light this isn't the right choice for you but if you're going to pick up another hotshoe then this is probably the best way to go.

Jarhead5811
05-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Or you could always add another 430EX to your arsenal :-)

FS: Canon 430EX Speedlite ("/forums/t/3565.aspx)

Obviosly if you're looking for a big light this isn't the right choice for you but if you're going to pick up another hotshoe then this is probably the best way to go.
<p style="CLEAR: both"]

I'll trade my ST-E2 for it. [;)]

(I'm trying to get a guy I work with to trade me his 580EX II for my ST-E2 and one 430EX. No luck so far but he seems interested.)

freelanceshots
05-07-2010, 08:01 PM
I say skip the EX flashes and go with the one or two Alien Bee 800's ($280 or 560), a Vagabond portable power system ($300), RadioPopper JrX studio kit ($160) and a variety of colored gels and your set. When ever I have the extra money laying around or I need all these tools to together to do a job this is what I'll have. I already have the AB 800's and a 580EX flash where I'll just need the extra mentioned item..

RadioPopper now even has a RP Cube where you can mount your 430/580EX flash unit, hook up a JrX studio receiver and control the full power output of the flash from your camera manually. When it comes to off camera flash manual is the way to go. I very rarely rely on ETTL to get the flash right even when its mounted on my camera.

Also no added cable to buy at as they come with everything you need plus RadioPoppers and the Alien bee units can use a telephone cord to connect each other together and communicate. I think that's a cool design feature.

Get some good stands from like Adorama where they offer some moderately built units that they make themselves for 50 bucks a piece, air cushioned, 13'.

http://shop.radiopopper.com/

http://www.alienbees.com/battery.html

http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/LTSP13AC.html

peety3
05-08-2010, 12:26 AM
This would be breaking the bank a bit. It seems that the B800 shouldbe able to betriggered optically by my existing setup until I get a RF based trigger setup?I posted an almost identical post on the Flickr Stobist forum and while some say the nearIR from my ST-E2 will set off the optical slave on the B800. Is there anyone that can confirm or disprove this?
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I actually think you don't want the B800 triggering on the near-IR from the ST-E2 - the signal comes out from the ST-E2 before the shutter is opened. If the B800 triggers only from the 430s (which are presumably lighting the scene, since they're in manual mode), you'll be OK; you'll only be OK if you're shooting them in manual.

I had (well, have...) a little mini flash with an optical trigger. With a 580II as trigger and 580IIs as main lights, I could never get the mini flash to actually shoot late enough to contribute to the shot - it'd pop (at best) on the trigger unit sending the manual flash power levels to the remote 580s. The ST-E2 might be IR enough that you'll be OK.

Jarhead5811
05-08-2010, 03:11 AM
I say skip the EX flashes and go with the one or two Alien Bee 800's ($280 or 560)

I've already got the three 430EXs and ST-E2. I'd like to keep the 430s for portability and ease of use (I know how to set them and don't have to learn a new device.) The ST-E2 will eventually go, one way or the other.A fourth 430EX would be nice but Mark would most likely have no use for one and also not like the imbalance in the trade (ST-E2s are cheaper than a 430EX).

Getting the B800 would just start me in the direction of using mono blocks. I'd like to have at least 3 AB lights (I could always supplement them with my 430s). I'm moving away from my interest in wildlife photography mainly becauseI only get a chance to do that three months out of the year. The money that might have gotten some longer lenses might get me a B1600 and aABR800 ring light. Along with stands and accessories. A battery to get more mobile would come later. (ThenI might go after those longer lenses I wanted.)

The ST-E2 might be IR enough that you'll be OK.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I was thinking the same thing but others on Strobist seem to think it would not work. I'm thinking I'll get the B800 and ordersome RF triggers if necessary after I've seen the results firsthand. I'd rather hold out for the RadioPopper JrX than a cheaper setup I'd eventually want to replace.