PDA

View Full Version : Post Processing with Canon DPP

Frank
05-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I have a Canon rebel xs. I have taken photos using RAW quality, but when I open them in DPP they only come in as JPEG. What can I be doing wrong?

Frank

neuroanatomist
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi Frank, and welcome to the TDP Forums!

Did you shoot in RAW only, or RAW+JPG? When you just look at the files directly (on the memory card), what file extension do they have?

Frank
05-08-2010, 05:17 PM
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]I shot in both formats. When I look at the card the file extension is JPEG.<o:p></o:p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]Thanks for your prompt reply'<o:p></o:p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<o:p></o:p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]Frank<o:p></o:p>
</div>

DavidEccleston
05-08-2010, 06:02 PM
When shooting RAW+JPEG, you should have doubles of each image, ie:

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.cr2
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.cr2

The CR2 files are Canon Raw files. If you used a utility to copy files from the camera, perhaps that utility doesn't notice CR2 files. Try using windows explorer or one of the utilities that ships with the camera to read the memory card.

If you were using explorer,and you're sure the camera is set for RAW+JPEG,and you still aren't seeing the CR2 files, then I have no idea what the problem might be.

Frank
05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
The camera is definitely set to RAW. I checked explorer and it only shows JPEG. I have also tried DPP and PSE. I will continue to hunt. Could it be the card.

Frank

scalesusa
05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Make sure that you have the updated version of DPP, otherwise it might not recognize the .cr2 files.

Set your camera to RAW only and see what happens.

Make sure you are using one of the modes like P, AV, TV, M I don't know about your model, but some of the Rebels did not take images in RAW when using the green square.

scalesusa
05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I just checked the manual, if you set it to RAW + JPEG in the advanced mode, but use one of the basic modes for shooting, you will only get jpeg. This includes the green box mode.

Make sure you are using the "P" mode to get raw.