PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Lens Pistol Grip

felix.howitt
05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Canon 100-400 L IS and one of its main uses would be watersports.

Of course half the time I would be shooting from a moving boat an so a tripod isn't really very helpful, and as this is a heavy lens handholding could get quite uncomfortable after a day on the water..

Does anyone know if any kind of pistol grip or other handle to attach to the tripod mount on the lens is available?

I've seen a few on the internet, but most of them seem to be ether out of production or designed to mount to a particular lens..

Any help would be much appreciated :)

piiooo
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Welcome toour forum, Felix.

I use a BushHawk ("http://www.bushhawk.com/)320D mount with my 100-400 and it works very well for me. It can be used with any handholdable telephoto lens with a tripod collarand it can be adjusted tothephysique of any photographer. The only complaint is that the shoulder pad comes off and can be lost easily.They provide parts if you lose or break something.

Also, because you hold your camera/lens (=heavy)by themount (=relatively light) attached to the bottom of the lens (tripod ring), the whole thing may initially feel a little unsteady becausethe center of gravity is somewhat high.It does not take long to get used to it.

If yougive it a trymake sure you chooseshutter release cable specific to your camera.

Good luck

felix.howitt
05-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Ooh I hadn't seen the BushHawk. Thank you it'scertainly worth considering, don't suppose you know of a smaller version though? It seems they don't do one without the shoulder stock..

What kind of photography do you use yours for? Do you find the stock gets in the way at all?

piiooo
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey Felix,

Unfortunatelly, I do not know of anything smaller. Based on my experience with my BushHawk, Ihave tosay that anything smaller or lighter thanthat will result in decreased stability. The stock and the front grip are removable but I do not recommendtaking them offfor the same reason. The stock does not get in the way at all, at least in my case. I use mine for wildlife/bird photography. I find it comfortable when I walk through marshes with the camera/lens/grip on my shoulder and it is very easy to bring the camera to shooting position.

Take care,

Pete

Sheiky
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Perhaps it sounds stupid, but the tripod ring on your 100-400 has just a normal type of thread, which would easily fit a DIY handle... Like the handles you can screw on the sides of an angle-grinder and other technical machinery..

bob williams
05-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Perhaps it sounds stupid, but the tripod ring on your 100-400 has just a normal type of thread, which would easily fit a DIY handle... Like the handles you can screw on the sides of an angle-grinder and other technical machinery..

Great idea---and it works, I just had to try it. Pulled the handle off of my ryobi angle grinder and it fits perfectly---Now the down side, I am so used to the push-pull on my 100-400, The handle seems awkward and not really usefull---But, if this is what you're looking for, you found an inexpensive solution.

PIIOO, How do you like your Bushhawk---I have been thinking about one.

Bob

btaylor
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't suggest using the bush hawk at an airshow. You might get arrested because you'd look like you were shooting planes down with a bazooka with a 100-400mm attached to it [:D] [:D] [:P]

piiooo
05-22-2010, 12:46 AM

DIY handle is not such a bad idea. I remembed seeing articles how to make one in older DIY magazines. The most difficultpart to make would bea readilyaccessible and precise shutter release. Without one you need three hands: one to press the shutter button on camera, one to adjust zoom/focus on the lens andthe third oneto hold the grip. You may be better off withoutit...

BushHawk gives you the luxury of holding the grip and pressing on the trigger with your dominant hand and adjusting the lens or holding the front grip for additional stability with the other hand.

PIIOO, How do you like your Bushhawk---I have been thinking about one.

Like I said before, I do like it and I think it has its place in long lens photography. I take it with me when I go to places like woods or marshes. I carry it to my destination by the shoulder belt, upside down. When aiming, it does not feel like a shotgun, due to itshigh center of gravity, it kinda feelsoff balance, but I have to say I got used to it fairly quickly. It allowes the camera to be in horizontal or vertical oreintation. It is better if you buy some kind of quick release adapter. They recommend one on the website, but my Manfrotto QR4 works just fine.

I wouldn't suggest using the bush hawk at an airshow. You might get arrested because you'd look like you were shooting planes down with a bazooka with a 100-400mm attached to it /emoticons/emotion-2.gif /emoticons/emotion-2.gif /emoticons/emotion-4.gif

Yeah, especially if you have some kind of camouflage lens coat on your lens[:D]

piiooo
05-22-2010, 01:00 AM
There is another contraption worth mentioning: a monopod and a fishing belt with a rod holder. You mount the camera/lens on your monopod, but you extend the monopod just enough to reach your belt, then stick the end of the monopod into the rod holder in yourfishing belt. It takesmostweight of the camera off your sholdersandyou still haveboth hands available tostabilize and navigate your camera/lens.The monopod works better if it has a head, because it isused on a slight angle.

EDIT: Here ("http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=50329) is a link to asimilar solution.

neuroanatomist
05-24-2010, 12:17 PM
There is another contraption worth mentioning: a monopod and a fishing belt with a rod holder.

Manfrotto actually sells a monopod belt pouch ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Manfrotto+MONOPOD+BELT+POUCH&N=0&Initia lSearch=yes)for the same purpose.For what it is and does, it's way overpriced, even for 'camera gear'.

andnowimbroke
05-24-2010, 12:31 PM
They also have have belt clips like that for holding flags in parades. It's been a while since I've been in the scouts and can't remember exactly. It could have been a protective cup turned inside-out for all I know. Funding was a little weak in my part of the world:)