PDA

View Full Version : Shooting through window pane

Alan
05-22-2010, 08:25 PM
How much image degradation might there be when shooting through a typical, optically clear, window pane?

Scott
05-22-2010, 08:52 PM
32.75% closed and 0% open [:P] Sorry no idea, what are you shooting at and why through a window.

Alan
05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I want to capture some bird photos. I'm using my porch as a "blind."

neuroanatomist
05-22-2010, 11:22 PM
There will be some degradation - how much depends on the situation. There are many things you can do to minimize the impact of shooting through glass (or a screen):

Reduce/eliminate light sources in the room (to reduce reflection)
Make sure the window pane is clean (inside and out)
Get as close to the glass as possible
Use a wider aperture
Use a longer focal length

Hope that helps...

--John

DavidEccleston
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
In the recent 'post your images for the week' thread, my bison/buffalo shot was through the windshield of the car. On the RAW pane of DPP, I moved the left edge in, as the image was quite washed out. After that adjustment, it looks great. Perhaps not the sharpest ever at 100%, but still quite good. At the 50% view it looks as sharp as anything else I've ever shot.

Fast Glass
05-23-2010, 02:48 AM
If at all possible try not too shoot through regular glass, it is definitelly not that clear and will degrade sharpness and contrast significantly. But I'm also a perfectionist when it comes to IQand birds....[H]

John.

Alan
05-23-2010, 12:37 PM
There will be some degradation - how much depends on the situation. There are many things you can do to minimize the impact of shooting through glass (or a screen):

Reduce/eliminate light sources in the room (to reduce reflection)

Make sure the window pane is clean (inside and out)
Get as close to the glass as possible
Use a wider aperture
Use a longer focal length

Hope that helps...

--John
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Good ideas.

I've cleaned the glass. I'm using a 300 mm f/4 @ f/4. Sounds like I'm doing everything correctly. Thanks.

mikehillman89
05-27-2010, 08:48 AM
If you have one as well, perhaps try a circular polarizing filter, given there's enough light.