PDA

View Full Version : DATE keeps changing - 5D

canoli
05-23-2010, 10:20 PM
It doesn't happen every time I change batteries - the main battery - it's happened maybe 3 times since I got the camera a couple weeks ago. The date/time battery is rated for 5 years and I assume it's the original.

Only thing - I figure when a battery dies it dies. But I can set the correct date just fine and it'll stay for...a few days? a week? I don't know it's pretty random.

Is this the sign of a failing battery you think?

(it's the 5D not the MkII)

Thanks you guys!

scalesusa
05-23-2010, 10:46 PM
There is a secondary button cell, for date / time. Replace it. see pg 41 0f your manual.

canoli
05-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I was asking if this symptom sounds like a failing battery...

btaylor
05-24-2010, 05:30 AM
I was asking if this symptom sounds like a failing battery...

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes it does. But not the main battery, the small Li-Ion button battery that's hidden inside the battery compartment by a plastic cover. It keeps your date/time constant, not the main battery. I believe that is the one scalesusa is referring to.

canoli
05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks you guys - will p/u a replacement today, hopefully that'll take care of it - a CR2016.

just seemed strange the way it's failing...

Sheiky
05-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Seems pretty normal. It happens once in a while with your pc as well when the battery of the motherboard dies and your bios is reset every time when you totally plug-out your pc.

At least I hope it solves your problem, but I'm pretty confident that it will [;)]

canoli
05-24-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes sir-ee! Replaced the little CR2016 and I didn't even need to reset the date - put in the new battery and the correct date was already there - somehow.... I thought for sure I'd have to set it manually...

I just love this 5D! [:D]

Sheiky
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I just love this 5D! /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

Great! [:D]Enjoy!