PDA

View Full Version : Patio Construction

Sean Setters
06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
We're building a patio in the backyard in order to have a gazebo and furniture out there. My mom asked to see how it was going. Unfortunately, Amber and my father had already pulled the tarp over the site before I got the chance to take a picture. So, just for fun, I thought I'd make a movie to better illustrate what was going into making the patio.

Canon 7D, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 85mm f/1.8, & 50mm f/1.4

B&W .6 ND & Fader ND Mark II[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq9IX_Rpy9g&hd=1:640:385]

btaylor
06-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey Sean,

what software do you use for video mate? I like the narrow DOFyou're able to getwith the ND filters on.

Sean Setters
06-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Believe it or not....Windows Live Movie Maker. ;-)

However, that's after being converted to an AVI using MPEG_Streamclip.

Ghosthex
06-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Not much patio making going on here. Must be union guys building this gazebo. Just kidding. The video is very sharp. I have never looked at any video filmed by an D-Slr until now. Its peaked my interest. Maybe a 7-D might be in my future. Hopefully the tarp comes off and a gazebo pops up soon dude.

Sean Setters
06-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Not much patio making going on here. Must be union guys building this gazebo. Just kidding. The video is very sharp. I have never looked at any video filmed by an D-Slr until now. Its peaked my interest. Maybe a 7-D might be in my future. Hopefully the tarp comes off and a gazebo pops up soon dude.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

We've come a long way in a week. The deadline for the patio being usable is July 10 (Amber's birthday...we're planning a cookout), so it's gotta be done before then. :-)

NFLD Stephen
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
The deadline for the patio being usable is July 10 (Amber's birthday...we're planning a cookout), so it's gotta be done before then. :-)

No problem!I work in construction and believe me the only way to get anything done is to set a firm deadline. Once a date is set you've got something to work towards, especially considering the potential consequences of not having it ready for Amber's birthday....

Nice video BTW.

Stephen

Sheiky
06-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I like my construction better with loud noises, hammer bashing, drills screeming and heavy metal [:P]

Looks great Sean, no focus-pulling in your video [:D] looks like a great place to hang and relax when it's finished [Y]

By the way, nice backyard, looks pretty big to me. i can imagine some great barbeques going on there [:D]

Sean Setters
06-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Looks great Sean, no focus-pulling in your video /emoticons/emotion-2.gif looks like a great place to hang and relax when it's finished /emoticons/emotion-21.gif

By the way, nice backyard, looks pretty big to me. i can imagine some great barbeques going on there /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

Actually, it's not that big....until you're trying to mow it with a push mower, then it seems a little too big. ;-)

Dave Johnston
06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Actually, it's not that big....until you're trying to mow it with a push mower, then it seems a little too big.

Amen to that... it has been in the 100's here for the past week, so pushing anything outside seems like torture. Great video though. Seeing that stuff makes me want TO MAKE MOVIES!!! Sorry for the virtual shouting, but I really really want to get into that stuff, I have all these ideas for it, but can't really make it happen.... yet.

Such is life.[N]

Dave.

Sean Setters
06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
To be fair, I've had the 7D for quite some time and I've done very little video stuff with it. However, I've been looking into it a bit more lately...

Jarhead5811
06-29-2010, 10:52 PM
July 10 (Amber's birthdayThat's funny, mine is the 5th and wife's is the 15th, she'll be thirty and I'll be.......................

...older [:)].

BTW-Cool video, I like the shallow depth of field especially. Make's me want to upgrade.

ddt0725
06-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Awesome video, Sean! Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it's done! I just finished mine late last fall so this is the first summer of being able to enjoy it &amp; it's made a big difference ...the backyard is sure getting used alot more!!!

BTW - My birthday is the 25th, I'll be well ...still the youngest grandma in town!!

Hey, sure would be nice of you to invite us all over for a party!! [;)]

Denise

Sean Setters
06-29-2010, 11:05 PM
BTW-Cool video, I like the shallow depth of field especially. Make's me want to upgrade.

Speaking of that...I filmed all of the above at a shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/80 second (double the frame rate...which is what I've read is optimal). In order to achieve the shallow depth of field at that shutter speed, I had to use the Fader ND Mark II. In my testing, I've found that it does cause some loss of sharpness and does tend to throw autofocus off a bit. However, for video, it's especially well suited. That said, I'll still use it for stills whenever I want shallow DOF in broad daylight--but I'll likely be using a tripod, LiveView, and 10X magnification to manually focus.

Considering it's less than 1/3 the cost of a Singh-Ray Vari-ND, even with its shortcomings I think it was well worth the money.

Sean Setters
06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Hey, sure would be nice of you to invite us all over for a party!! /emoticons/emotion-5.gif

Come on over if you're in the neighborhood... ;-)