PDA

View Full Version : Display Focal Length

LJ2b2c
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I just upgraded to my first DSLR (T2i), and have a quick question. When using the camera to review the pictures you have taken, is there any place that displays what the focal length was for the picture? I know it is in the EXIF data, but it would be nice to see without having to download the picture to my PC.

Sean Setters
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I just looked through the T2i manual, and I'm not sure it's possible to display the focal length of a given image in-camera. I thought it would be displayed if you hit the "DISPLAY" button a couple of times, but that seems to be just about the only relevant information that isn't readily available.

Anyone else?

neuroanatomist
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Not as far as I know. You need to remember, or check the EXIF data on your computer later. Or, use a prime lens... [:P]

LJ2b2c
07-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Is this just the T2i, or is this true for most DSLR's

neuroanatomist
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Is this just the T2i, or is this true for most DSLR's

True for all of the Canon ones, AFAIK. I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Jon Ruyle
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Or the rebel XT, 1DIIN, or 5DII.

I was quite annoyed by this at first. By now it is just one of those Canon stupidities I've gotten used to.

TucsonTRD
07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I can say from personal experience that neither the T1i nor the 7D can display the focal length during image review.

Or the rebel XT, 1DIIN, or 5DII.

I was quite annoyed by this at first. By now it is just one of those Canon stupidities I've gotten used to.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The 50D can't display the focal length either AFAIK

Sheiky
07-13-2010, 05:59 AM

Perhaps a stupid question, but why would you need to see the focal length when viewing your photo in-camera? I'm not seeing the need for it.

LJ2b2c
07-13-2010, 09:29 AM
After reading some of the reviews of the kit lens that came with my T2i, they seem to indicate that it is sharpest within a certain range. After taking a few pictures, I was trying to see how they fell within that range.

neuroanatomist
07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
why would you need to see the focal length when viewing your photo in-camera?

After reading some of the reviews of the kit lens that came with my T2i, they seem to indicate that it is sharpest within a certain range. After taking a few pictures, I was trying to see how they fell within that range.

Well, I can think of worse places to judge image sharpness than reviewing them on the 3" LCD on the back of the camera. But honestly, I'd have to think really hard, and probably not have much luck. A 12" VGA computer monitor smeared with vaseline might be worse, for example.

If you want to critically review your image sharpness/focus, the camera isn't the place to do that. Same goes for evaluating exposure based on the image itself - the histogram(s) should become your best friend(s)!

LJ2b2c
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
You are right, the camera display is not the place to judge the sharpness of the photo. However, if you know that the lens you are using has a sweet spot, you can use that information to shoot in that range.

neuroanatomist
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
You are right, the camera display is not the place to judge the sharpness of the photo. However, if you know that the lens you are using has a sweet spot, you can use that information to shoot in that range.

Makes sense - determine the sweet spot by review on your computer, then just use the markings on the lens barrel to tell where you are when you shoot.

I'll point out that with the exception of the prominent barrel distortion at the wide end of a wide/normal zoom lens, aperture is going to have a much more significant 'sweet spot' effect than focal length. On an 18-55mm kit lens, for example, going from f/4 to f/8 will yield a much bigger improvement in sharpness than any focal length you might choose.

LJ2b2c
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
OK ---- Thanks