PDA

View Full Version : anybody using Cokin or Lee filters?

Bill W
07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
If you have experience using them would you kindly give me your thoughts.

I'm interested in sunrise, sunset, twilight, long exposure.

Thank you for your input

Bill

Carlos Lindado
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Hello, I have the ND8 (neutral density, -3 stops), circular polarizer and UV0 Cokin filters. The ND8 and CP work well, but the UV0 is terrible, it produces a red fringe in the image and I lose about 1/3 stop.

neuroanatomist
07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Bill, do you mean specifically the rectangular graduated ND filters? If you're looking for standard NDs, etc., you'd be better off with good quality round filters (B+W, for example).

canoli
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Here's a deal if you want to check out the Cokin P holder together with a HiTech filter. I've used this setup for the type of shots you mentioned and it works well.

http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html ("http://www.2filter.com/prices/htpackages.html) (the website is a little disorganized but this link takes you right to the Cokin/HiTech deal)

You pick a GND from the list - specify soft edge or hard - and you get that and the Cokin P holder for under $60. It turns out you kinda need both; some shots call for a gradual transition, other times where there's a line of trees for instance on the horizon, that's when you'll want a hard cut-off.

What struck me most about these HiTechs is the amount of light they let through. I bought their recommended 0.6 first and quickly discovered I needed more light-stopping power, so I bought a 1.2 as well. Sometimes when it's midday and the sun is strong I need both together to get a balanced shot. The Cokin P holds up to 3 filters at one time, which is nice.

If you call and speak to the owner (sorry can't remember his name) he'll give you tons of info about filters in general.

Happy hunting!

Bill W
07-17-2010, 08:36 AM
John....yes, I'm curious about the P kit. For the short money investment; I thought it might be worthwhile tosee ifI like the results and will I use them enough to warrant the B&W's $$$.

Canoli, thanks for your input and link....yeah, you're right, it's not the neatest site to browse. But the companies address in NH isn't too far from where I live....just might take a photo ride and stop in while in their area.

Regards

Bill

canoli
07-18-2010, 11:42 AM
That sounds like a great idea Bill - I'd love to hear about it if you go. Like I said they were great over the phone, very helpful.

Iguide
07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
canoli ("../members/canoli/default.aspx)

Ditto on posting the web address.

Bill W.

You may not realize it but Gilsum NH is not in NH,,,,,, but rather northern Massachusetts. Everything south of Plymouth has become northern MA.[;)]

That's just a joke on you flatlanders down there so don't get all huffy and tell me I need to be more open minded or something.[:)]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
<div id="refHTML"]</div>

neuroanatomist
07-19-2010, 08:17 AM
John....yes, I'm curious about the P kit.

What lens(es) and body would you be using it with? The P-series is intended for as wide as 28mm on FF (18mm on 1.6x). If you plan to use it with a wider lens, you will likely get some physical vignetting, despite the 82mm mounting ring. They also have a Z-Pro series (20mm FF/12.5mm crop) and an X-Pro series (15mm FF/9mm crop).

neuroanatomist
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
John....yes, I'm curious about the P kit.

What lens(es) and body would you be using it with? The P-series is intended for as wide as 28mm on FF (18mm on 1.6x). If you plan to use it with a wider lens, you will likely get some physical vignetting, despite the 82mm mounting ring. They also have a Z-Pro series (20mm FF/12.5mm crop) and an X-Pro series (15mm FF/9mm crop).

As a side note, although B+W is excellent for round/threaded filters, they are not the place to go for rectangular filters. Well, technically their parent company, Schneider Optics, does make rectangular filters - very nice ones. They are glass filters, much more durable and scratch-resistant than the usual resin filters. They are also twice the cost of the Singh-Ray graduated resin filters (which are among the most expensive resin versions).

Bill W
07-19-2010, 09:13 AM
John...myequipment; 7D, 17-55 IS 2.8 and the 100-400. 70-200 isn't in my bag.....September?

Yes...I went to B&amp;W to browse...$$$ and I've visited Singh-Ray $$, but as I stated earlier; I just want to give it a try to see if I'd have a long term interest in using filters....if so, then I'd consider purchasing the more expensive ones.

Bill