PDA

View Full Version : Markins Ballheads; any experience with them?

Luis Diaz Gimenez
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
<span style="font-size: small;"]I am looking for a decent ballhead that wont break the bank. I have been considering the Q3 model from Markins as it's not very expensive and looks well made. Does anybody in the forum have any experience with Markins? The heaviest gear I intend to use it with is a 7D plus grip with the 100-400 mm zoom. I really don't see myself buying more expensive prime glass as photography is just a hobby and not a profession for me. Have also considered theGitzo GT1830 Series 1 Basalt 3 Section Tripod to go with it. Getting your input would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Lane
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
<span style="font-size:small;"]I am looking for a decent ballhead that wont break the bank. I have been considering the Q3 model from Markins as it's not very expensive and looks well made. Does anybody in the forum have any experience with Markins? The heaviest gear I intend to use it with is a 7D plus grip with the 100-400 mm zoom. I really don't see myself buying more expensive prime glass as photography is just a hobby and not a profession for me. Have also considered theGitzo GT1830 Series 1 Basalt 3 Section Tripod to go with it. Getting your input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Luis,

I use a Markins Q20 Ballhead with a Really Right Stuff B2 LRII quick lever clamp mounted to a GitzoGT3541LS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod. I can tell you with 100% confidence that the Markins Ballheads are produced with top notch components and workmanship, and they work smoothly and flawlessly. It's like holding a piece of Art in your hands.

They offer a very nice gross weight to support weight ratio. Their ballheads have a gross and fine adjustment knob that will allow you to fine tune the the proper balance between tension and fluidity. It also has a panning knob, but not a panning leveler.

I noted your equipment up top. I realize price is always a factor, but I think you would be better off with the Q10. The Q3 is more of a lightweight travel ballhead for Small sized DSLR's with medium sized zooms. I wouldn't consider a 7D with battery grip and 2 batteries installed small sized. I do think that you could probably get away with it thoughbecause the 100mm-400mm has a mounting foot plate that will enable you to balance the setup a little better. Will you only be using the 100mm-400mm lens occasionally or will you be using smaller lenses more frequently, because this will impact your decision?

I know you said that you didn't plan on buying any longer glass (haven't we all),however it doesn't leave you any room for future growth. I do believe that the Q10 represents the sweet spot in the Markins lineup.

The Markins ballheads can handle a lot of weight, but you must also consider stability of the tripod and center of gravity. I put more emphasis on stability over weight capacity. FWIW, I also feel that carbon legs dampen vibrations better than aluminum legs. I'm not sure, what Gitzo Basalt Fiber is, (after checking their website) it sounds like some sort of Composite Carbon. Carbon is also warmer to hold in the winter.

I saw your pictures and they were beautiful, so I think that you may be selling yourself a bit short with a series 1 Gitzo. You should also be aware that the series 1 is pretty thin and lightweight and may not offer the best stability in certain situations and if you crank up the center column you will worsen stability and the center column also prevents you from shooting very low ground macro work, however, after checking, it appears that the center column is now removable and reversible.

What do you plan on using this setup for? For example, do you also require easy mobility, traveling, airlines, hiking, and what and where will you be shooting?

The Markins Q3 and Gitzo series 1 is a good setup for lightweight travel for smaller cameras and lenses up to 200mm. If you are planning on only buying a tripod and ballhead once (who does?), then I think the GT2830 3 section Basalt series 2 for $75 more and stable up to 300mm may be the better choice.

However, you should also consider one of these below, depending on how tall you are, and your portability and/or stability needs.

Feisol Carbon Fiber Tournament tripods are lightweight and are also compact for Approx. $300 and very well respected, they also offer an optional center column upgrade kit:

I believe that either one of these would suit your needs and you will be able to shoot closer to the ground, it folds smaller, is lighter, has carbon fiber legs, and it holds more weight then the Gitzo GT 1830 Series 1 and it's even less expensive, even if you add the optional center column.

http://www.feisol.net/traditional-tripods-tournament-tripods-c-24_29.html ("http://www.feisol.net/traditional-tripods-tournament-tripods-c-24_29.html)

http://www.feisol.net/center-columns-long-columns-c-13_18.html ("http://www.feisol.net/center-columns-long-columns-c-13_18.html)

I'm a big Gitzo Head, I also have a Gitzo 5 Series Monopod.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]I would probably go with either the Gitzo GT2830 (Series 2) / Markins 10 or Feisol Tournament / Markins 10 if you would like to save some money.

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Please feel free to add some additional information and I'm sure we will come up with some sort of consensus.

Rich

peety3
07-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I've rented the Lens Rentals "Lightweight Tripod Kit", which is a Q3 on a set of Velbon El Carmagne 640 legs. I used it with a 1D Mark III and 70-200, so similar weight but not the challenge of a shifting center of gravity. I'd guess that a Q3 is fine for you, but would just suggest getting an appropriately long lens plate for the 100-400.

Although pricey, I plan to get a Really Right Stuff L-plate for each of my cameras. I don't like the weight of the camera and lens off-center when the ballhead is rotated for portrait orientation, so the L-plate would fix that.

Richard Lane
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I also have the Really Right Stuff L-Plate for my 7D and it works as expected. Since the L-Plates are more expensive, and you mentioned that you have more than one camera body.

I have found that if you have a specific Camera Body that you only use telephoto lenses on that also have a foot mount, then you don't need an L-Plate for that Body, since you<span style="font-size: small;"]<span>would be able to just turn the body of the lens for vertical orientation. Although, I have two 7-D Bodies, I only bought one L-Plate, because my 300mm/2.8 rarely leaves one of the bodies and if does it's usually replaced with the 70-200mm/2.8 which also has the rotatable foot plate for vertical orientation.

I know it's common sense but I thought I would just mention it, in case you want to save a little money. In an emergency, you could just switch the plate.

I would definitely recommend it though!

Rich

Luis Diaz Gimenez
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Richard, Peety3, thank you very much for yourreplies. It is veryreassuringto learn that you have had a good experience with the Markins gear. Besides the cost factor, I also considered the portability of the gear as I would like to take it with me whenever possible when I travel. Light weight is a plus in my list of features. I have also considered the 2 series of Gitzo legs and because of your advice, might end up getting that instead. I will see into the Q10 and see if I can afford it. Your advice is greatlyappreciatedand will be a major factor in deciding to spend more money. A balance or compromise between portability and stability is what I am looking for. I am learning that their is no such thing as a "definitive" gear but at the same time, I like to be able to enjoy photography and I am looking forward to getting out and taking more pictures ... hiking, at zoos or of my family on vacations. Again, thank you all for the kind advice.

Richard Lane
07-24-2010, 12:09 AM
You're welcome, If you want a balance between portability, stability, future upgradeability and a larger credit card balance, then I would get the Gitzo Series 2 with the Markins Q10.

If it comes down to cost, which is certainly a factor, then I would rather see you get the Series 2 tripod with the Q3 ballhead, instead of the Series 1 Tripod with the Q10 ballhead.

If you have unstable legs then the ballhead will hardly matter.

Rich

Richard Lane
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Richard, Peety3, thank you...

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]

<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]Close..., but, I just noticed that Richard Petty #43 was a Race Car Driver.

OK.., I guess I have way too much time on my hands.

Rich

peety3
07-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Besides the cost factor, I also considered the portability of the gear as I would like to take it with me whenever possible when I travel.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Disclaimer: I'm the nut who will take a 28-pound camera bag on every trip because there might be a shooting opportunity, though admittedly I don't hike. Just last weekend, I flew to Florida to visit my great uncle for what may be the last time; I took two bodies, three lenses, two flashes, PocketWizards, and three light stands (one can fill in as a poor-man's travel tripod, since I don't have a good tripod). Shot about 70 frames, though 50+ were in 7-shot brackets for HDR. 11 keepers out of the whole weekend.

If I had the LR "lightweight tripod kit", I would take it everywhere too. It'd go in the suitcase on trips, or with the light stands locally. I would have taken it to Florida last weekend. Prior to renting that tripod, I had no idea what a good tripod meant. Now that I've seen the light, it's high on my list, and I'm renting two (one w/ ballhead, one w/ gimbal) for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Luis Diaz Gimenez
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Richard, good point there and it certainly makes a lot of sense to invest in a more stable tripod. Now, about the race car driver...