PDA

View Full Version : HEART BROKEN: Cracked LCD control panel

jlau
08-25-2010, 12:52 AM
*Deep breaths*

The camera appears to be working fine. I just dropped something and it hit the LCD control panel and now theres a small but incredibly noticeable crack in the glass. I'm going to assume this isn't covered by any warranty so how much would it cost to replace the glass cover?

My camera is the Canon 7D.

peety3
08-25-2010, 02:00 AM
My standard answer: contact Canon. You should be able to call in and get an estimate for that element. Obviously, you could then send it in and find out that more is broken, but at least you'd know a baseline price.

deltasun
08-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Sounds like it may just be the outer panel. I took my 40D to a local, but reputable place. They told me it would have been around $300 at Canon, but mine came to $170.

Regardless, it's not going to be too bad.

jlau
08-25-2010, 02:27 AM
It is just the outer panel. Thanks though! At least I know now that it can be fixed for a small price.

Now I'm going to mull over whether or not i should leave it or get it fixed.

<3

neuroanatomist
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Now I'm going to mull over whether or not i should leave it or get it fixed.

Unlike many Canon dSLRs, your 7D is a weather-sealed body (when used with a weather-sealed lens). The crack in the panel is a potential gap in that sealing, so if you shoot in inclement weather I'd strongly consider getting it replaced.

jlau
08-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh. Thank you for pointing this out to me. That didn't even occur to me. I will keep that in mind for future shooting until/if I get it fixed.

<3

scalesusa
08-27-2010, 08:41 PM
One day, you will want to sell it, and then will have to get it fixed. Better to do it now. Did you buy it with a credit card? Some credit card companies have a warranty on things that were bought with the credit card, even dropping or losing it.

Don't overlook this, check.