PDA

View Full Version : Its a shame...

freelanceshots
09-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I find myself visiting this site less and less because of the changes that are popping up that in my opinion make it hard to use. Thats a shame because I visited this site all the time to check stuff out. Major disappointment for me when this site started covering Nikon gear and I just have to share that. I don't care two flips about Nikon gear and I'll never own one. There are tons of other Nikon specific sites so Its just over kill to have another!

Daniel Browning
10-01-2010, 02:11 AM
I find myself visiting this site less and less...

Someone who makes valuable contributions to the forum would be missed a lot if they left.

because of the changes that are popping up that in my opinion make it hard to use.

Sorry to hear that. Personally, I haven't had any trouble at all.

Major disappointment for me when this site started covering Nikon gear and I just have to share that. I don't care two flips about Nikon gear and I'll never own one.

Wow.

Just... wow.

I never imagined that there were people out there who actually thought like that. I just don't know what to say.

There are tons of other Nikon specific sites so Its just over kill to have another!

None of the other sites are as good as TDP.

Jayson
10-01-2010, 02:30 AM
"like" on Daniel's post! I personally like to have the Nikon stuff on here. Nice to compare some things. Besides, Bryan has stated that he has Canon as his #1 priority numerous times. Never hurts to have more information from a good source. As for the changes on the site, once you use it a little bit, it actually is pretty nice.

Sean Setters
10-01-2010, 02:58 AM
To be honest, I've barely noticed the addition of Nikon info to the site. It hasn't hampered my use of the site in the slightest (but that's just me).

clemmb
10-01-2010, 03:06 AM
I also like to see the Nikon info even though I will never switch. The only thing I see that has significantly changed is the forum section. I do prefer the previous version but I am beginning to get use to this one.

Mark

Chris White
10-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Although the new forum section is an adjustment, I am getting used to it. I think we are all just used to the previous layout and change can sometimes be challenging. As we use it more it will be just as comfortable, and we may come to find we actually like the changes.

As far as the Nikon things, I really am not troubled by it. Extra information is always an advantage. Plus my friends who are not fortunate enough to own Canon now have a great site to find information at. [;)]

Chris

ddt0725
10-01-2010, 03:23 AM
To be honest, I've barely noticed the addition of Nikon info to the site. It hasn't hampered my use of the site in the slightest (but that's just me).
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Nope, it's not just you. I never click on those links so I don't even notice they're there. There are a few things about the forums I don't like such as the having to click on "rich formatting" every time but heck sure is better than crashing a few times a day!

Denise

thekingb
10-01-2010, 03:24 AM
I like the changes to the forum and find it much more user friendly, especially since I can post using my iPhone now.

As for the addition of Nikon gear...why do you care so much? Your post reads like Nikon gear is some sort of toxin that endangers the vitality of the site. I

clemmb
10-01-2010, 03:33 AM
The only thing I really miss is being able to click on your names and pull up a list of your posts/responses. Can I still do this and just have not figured it out?

Mark

wickerprints
10-01-2010, 03:38 AM
I for one welcome the addition of Nikon lenses because now we can see just how much sharper and more comprehensive the Canon selection is. :D :D :D

btaylor
10-01-2010, 04:14 AM
I like the changes. I think it

Fast Glass
10-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Major disappointment for me when this site started covering Nikon gear and I just have to share that.

That's no big deal, if you don't click on the links it dosn't bother you in the least.

I don't care two flips about Nikon gear and I'll never own one.

Well that just you, honestly I like alot of Nikon's gear and would be very tempted to get Nikon gearif it weren't for all my lenses.

There are tons of other Nikon specific sites so Its just over kill to have another!

None of the other sites are NEARLY as good or comprehensive as Bryans.

John.

bob williams
10-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Personally, I like the site

Iguide
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Good Day Everyone:

The bottom line is that some people do not like or do not do as well as other people in any given subject. Today in this thread the subject is change. Feelanceshots is neither more wrong or more correct than Danial Browning. Danial is neither more wrong or more correct than freelanceshots They are just different points of view of the same subject. To often in forums we tend to write our reactions more strongly than what we may do if we were in a face to face conversation. I know that I am guilty of that at times when I really don't mean to be, but it happens. Especially if I only know the person through this infernal contraption where our conversations are so much less personal than before this technology became part of our everyday lives.

Some people just don't like change. For what ever reason they are like that have been since they were little children and in some cases it can be are related. Throughout my life time I have seen that time and again as family and friends grow older some time it gets harder for them to understand what it new and trying to adapt to it brings about stress. Which I'm sure they and all of us would like to have less of. So if one person here of someplace else expresses a dislike for change try to be more patient with them. I will try and I hope others will also. I do know that my adult children &amp; I have some pretty interesting discussions over new and changing things in our world and it is often as hard for them to understand what life was like before they were here and what value it had and still has, just as I don't see or I probably don't want to see the of many of the new technologies in our everyday lives. I bet most of if not all of the folks that are members here have cell phones and can't understand how they ever got along without one. I know my son says he can't live without a cell. Conversely he can't begin to fathom how I live and run a business with out one, not only don't I not have one when they got one for me I threw it in the trash. Don't want it in my life, I don't need it.

I will say in this forum I find the spell check to be a real pain in the back side. I used to be able to right click on it and I could get suggestions for the correct spelling of a word. Now I have to go click on a button, that is just so unnecessary. But I'll bet that most of you here don't find it a problem. I' don't care for Nikon cameras and don't bother reading their reviews, however I do have a Nikon scope on my 30-06. Hard to figure and that is life.

So when someone expresses a view different that you try to be understanding and less harsh, I'll try also, because you just never know who had their corn flakes pooped on that morning and we don't need to make it worse for them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or us.

Godspeed

Wayne

Jeff Lucia
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
What makes the forum and the site valuable to me are the information and the people (Bryan and the members). The interface is just a tool, much like a camera.

I view the inclusion of Nikon information as a good thing, not some kind of contamination. There

Keith B
10-01-2010, 04:15 PM
It is ok to have opinions on this board as long as they match the ones of the few almighty.

I didn't realize that there were Nikon reviews here. I just see links that direct where to buy the gear.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
10-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I

freelanceshots
10-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I guess I'm one of those that does not embrace change on certain things. I like change when it means updates to the cameras as I'm sure we all do. I'm just confused with the new look and interface where I like the older versions and I though I'd just bring this up. I'm stuck in between the older generation of folks and the newer generation of youngsters. I've never used a phone to text someone where I will never have a phone with a little bitty screen that uses internet. It just makes no sense where it drives me crazy when my niece, nephew, and even my 40 plus year old sister type on their phones during dinner or most recently when my mother was in the emergency room and we where all sitting around trying to comfort her.

freelanceshots
10-02-2010, 01:25 AM
<span class="field-item-description"]"Someone who makes valuable contributions to the forum would be missed a lot if they left." -Daniel Browning-

<span class="field-item-description"]Awww....thats nice to say....thanks for that thought!

Jon Ruyle
10-02-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm married to Canon and forever belonged to Canon, I lust after Nikon and once in a while have an affair...just a fling here and there with Nikon and her exotic lenses, but at the end of the day I always come home to Canon though LOL :) :) :). and Bryan just made it more diffcult for me to be faithful by adding Nikon reviews. Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool, loving both of you...beaking all the rules!
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[:)]

Lucky you. I'm married to my *wife*.

(Um, just kidding sweetie, in case you're secretly reading this forum)

Alan
10-02-2010, 02:43 AM
It is ok to have opinions on this board as long as they match the ones of the few almighty.

Good one, Keith! [Y]

Iguide
10-02-2010, 11:11 AM
It just makes no sense where it drives me crazy when my niece, nephew, and even my 40 plus year old sister type on their phones during dinner or most recently when my mother was in the emergency room and we where all sitting around trying to comfort her.

Good Morning All:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10" />
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\WAYNEA~1.DER\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" />
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables />
<w:SnapToGridInCell />
<w:WrapTextWithPunct />
<w:UseAsianBreakRules />
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-parent:"";
margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<p class="MsoNormal"]Some of the rudest and irresponsible behavior ( using one
while driving, talking and texting ) in our <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<u1:WordDocument>
<u1:View>Normal</u1:View>
<u1:Zoom>0</u1:Zoom>
<u1:Compatibility>
<u1:BreakWrappedTables />
<u1:SnapToGridInCell />
<u1:WrapTextWithPunct />
<u1:UseAsianBreakRules />
</u1:Compatibility>
<u1:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</u1:BrowserLevel>
</u1:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]-->society occurs with that little bit of technology is in
someone possession. Using it while the family is having dinner? You have got to
be kidding me. Talk about a lack of manners. Very little is more important than
the time we spend with our families. Not using an electronic devise, 99.9% of
the time there is no emergency drastic enough to treat other people in our
mists as they are less important than using a piece of technology that it not
sharable with the entire group simultaneously as the person using it.<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal"]Then we adults complain that the kids don&rsquo;t have any
manners and act in
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\WAYNEA~1.DER\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01 \clip_filelist.xml" />
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Style Definitions */
span.mceitemhiddenspellword
{mso-style-name:mceitemhiddenspellword;}
@page Section1
div.Section1
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
</style>
<![endif]--><span class="mceitemhiddenspellword"]<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]irresponsible ways
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Style Definitions */
span.mceitemhiddenspellword
{mso-style-name:mceitemhiddenspellword;}
@page Section1
div.Section1
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
</style>
<![endif]--><span class="mceitemhiddenspellword"]<span>. GEE I WONDER WHY!!
<p class="MsoNormal"]Nate:
<p class="MsoNormal"]I swear you are one of the most creative persons I have come
across in quite awhile. Not only an excellent bird photographer, but a writes/poet
who&rsquo;s pro&rsquo;s are witty and entertaining.
<p class="MsoNormal"]Absolutely Outstanding my good man!!!!
<p class="MsoNormal"]
<p class="MsoNormal"]Godspeed to All
<p class="MsoNormal"]
<p class="MsoNormal"]Wayne

Iguide
10-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true! Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. Usually the ones that have been on a forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue to try and offer information that you deem to have value. Sooner or later if they don't accept you, you will find other as supporters that have similar opinions and feelings of investment as yourself. Eventually you should be accepted as an equal member, but not always.

Godspeed

Wayne

peety3
10-02-2010, 11:48 AM
My only concern with the inclusion of Nikon is the additional delay in getting reviews on the site.

Keith B
10-02-2010, 02:27 PM
<div>

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true!Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. Usually the ones that have been on a forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue to try and offer information that you deem to have value. Sooner or later if they don't accept you, you will find other as supporters that have similar opinions and feelings of investment as yourself. Eventually you should be accepted as an equal member, but not always.

Godspeed

Wayne

Yes and the extreme sucking up to those few is tough to swallow and I think contribute to the issue.

My only concern with the inclusion of Nikon is the additional delay in getting reviews on the site.

Yes.

I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
</div>

Jon Ruyle
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM

Hi Guy' &amp; Gals:

Keith, that is so true!Not only here but in all forums I have ever been part of you see this happen. <span class="field-item-description"]Usually the ones that have been on a
forum longest act as if only their points of view are what is
important. Often they can and will ridicule a newer arrival with little
or no consequences, opposition and usually with support from other
members that feel they have more or less what they see as equal
investment. It happened to me hear, you just deal with it and continue
to try and offer information that you deem to have value.

I've noticed very little of what I would call ridiculing on this forum, so much so that I thought Keith was joking when he made that statement. But I have no doubt of what you say. Perhaps whoever it was who ridiculed you didn't even know he or she was doing it. Thoughtlessness and/or arrogance are much more common than outright malice. If I ever ridiculed you or anyone else, I never meant to and I apologize. I'd be very surprised if those who have been on the forum longer than me, and whoever it was who ridiculed you, don't feel the same way.

Disagreement is a different matter, of course. There is plenty of disagreement on this forum- that's what makes it interesting. From what I've seen, disagreements have usually been civil. But of course, I haven't seen everything- I'm not in any way suggesting that the ridicule you are talking about did not happen.

Yes and the extreme sucking up to those few is tough to swallow and I think contribute to the issue.

Keith- correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect you're not talking about praise come individuals receive for wonderful pictures or kudos to Bryan for his hard work keeping this site running.

It is true that there are some members whose opinions seem to be well respected. This is fine with me, and in fact I have a good deal of respect for several of the posters to this site. What would really be a much bigger shame than changing of site format or inclusion of Nikon reviews (even worse than being logged out, though that is pretty annoying) would be if discourse was discouraged by this respect.

I haven't seen: "I have 1000 posts and you only have five so I'm right and you're wrong" or "everyone else agrees with me so I must be right, you dummy." No doubt the problem manifests itself in more subtle ways and perhaps I am too dense to have noticed it.

I don't know what to say or what can be done about it, but I'm glad Keith and Wayne brought this up. There are few among us who can't benefit from a reminder of how much harm one does by discouraging a newcomer to a forum such as this.

peety3
10-02-2010, 09:23 PM
<div>I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
</div>

Logged off? As in your internet connection died? Or the browser window crashed? Or you weren't showing as still logged in, and had to re-log-in? NONE of those are things that the moderators can control.

Keith B
10-03-2010, 03:01 PM
<div>

Keith- correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect you're not talking about praise come individuals receive for wonderful pictures or kudos to Bryan for his hard work keeping this site running.

No. People's work should be praised if it is deserving.I feel if you give raving reviews of work that isn't deserving you can be doing injustice to that person also.I have given and received praise without feeling I received or given a smooch to the glutes. But a lot of the time the comments that accompany the praise are way over the top. I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site. Then there are people get all high and mightywho are praised fortheir advice when really they are just quoting Bryan and have actually never used the gear at hand. This burns me more than anything. I can see ISO and MTF charts and read Bryan's reviews myself but to me real world experience is what I want to hear about. I also get a kick out of those who seek out opportunities to talk down to folks. They must be walked on in their real lives and come here to re-establish their self esteem.

From what I have read Bryan seems very humble and not seeking praise. I'm pretty sure he is stoked just on the fact people spend so much time on this site. I would never say that he didn't deserve credit but let's keep it in perspective.
</div>

<div>I'm also concerned with the fact I got logged off 3 times trying to make this post. I'm begining to think the moderators don't like my posts.
</div>

Logged off? As in your internet connection died? Or the browser window crashed? Or you weren't showing as still logged in, and had to re-log-in? NONE of those are things that the moderators can control.

I get logged out of my account on this site. I was joking about the moderators throwing me off due to the content of these posts. But I guess it would seem totally feasible I'd come on here and complain that my internet connection would cut out. Sometimes I'll leave out the obvious because I'm giving the reader some credit. Obviously I have given too much credit to some.

Iguide
10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
<span class="field-item-description"]I haven't seen: "I have 1000 posts
and you only have five so I'm right and you're wrong" or "everyone
else agrees with me so I must be right, you dummy." No doubt the
problem manifests itself in more subtle ways and perhaps I am too dense
to have noticed it.

I don't know what to say or what can be done about it, but I'm glad Keith and Wayne brought this up. There are few among us who can't benefit from a reminder of how much harm one does by discouraging a newcomer to a forum such as this.

Hi John:

It is not very likely that you will actually see someone make references to their invested time or contributions being more valuable to a forum over a newer member as to why they say what they post. When it is done it is almost exclusively done with an underlying tone representing some form of superior knowledge or entitlement that they unconsciously feel. It almost is never made in a malicious way or in a way that openly puts someone or some one's ideas in extremely negative light or negative criticism. What we are really talking about is psychology and how people view their social position within a given community. In addition you can seen this exhibited in almost any community such as at small town meeting or a new member to a club or political post. This is a very common human reaction to any established group by some members of that group, &amp; that is all that I mean by commenting on this subject.

Godspeed

Wayne

Jon Ruyle
10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site.

IMO, this is the worst part. No one should feel like they cannot voice their opinion because it contradicts someone else's. I, for one, want to hear all sides.

DLS
10-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Well I

bob williams
10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site.

IMO, this is the worst of part. No one should feel like they cannot voice their opinion because it contradicts someone else's. I, for one, want to hear all sides.

As a once new and member and still a novice, there are many subjects that I don't offer opinions or technical explanations on beacuseI simply don't have the knowledge to assist the reader. However, as with any of us, there things that I do have experience with,and I gladly will voice my opinion regardless of whether or not it differs from others, and I will do it without hesitation. I think I am willing to do this becausethe vast majority of the TDP membership is open and interested in varying opinions. I have never been reluctant to post an opinion that differs from "the more experienced forum members" and when I have done so, I haveonly met with sarcasm a couple of times and usually it was with a smiley face on the end so no harm done. On the flipside, If I was in error, I have been corrected with normally a sound explanation.

The point is, even the "demigods" are here to help and usually do so in a friendly and constructive manner.Don't be afraid to challenge them; I have, many times, and have usually rec'd a solid explanation in return from which I have learned a great deal.

Reluctance to postandto offer a differing opinion, will ultimately only be your loss and possibly a loss to someone else who needs your view on the topic.

Don't hesitate to post, even if your opinion dffers from others----Just be courteous and respectfull when doing so. I think the great majority of the forum membership will do the same for you.

Bob.

ddt0725
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I was the target of much patronizing for many months on this site by a member who hasn

neuroanatomist
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM

IMO, this is the worst of part.

Wait, wait...if the two of you don't qualify as 'demigods on this site' then no one does! [^o)]

No one should feel like they cannot voice their opinion because it contradicts someone else's. I, for one, want to hear all sides.

I can't agree more with this statement. Sure, opinions differ. But no one's opinion is more valuable than anyone else's, they all have merit. As long as we're honest and act with reasonable online decorum and etiquette, it's all good! I, for one, have learned a tremendous amount from others on this forum, both from the 'regulars' and from new contributors.

Iget logged out of my account on this site. I was joking about the moderators throwing me off due to the content of these posts. But I guess it would seem totally feasible I'd come on here and complain that my internet connection would cut out.

Fine, you checked your internet connection. But did you make sure your computer was plugged in when you got logged off?!? [:P]

Seriously, I think there's something odd about the way some browsers handle cookies from this site that causes the issue. In another thread, people (me included), complained about that issue with Safari. I recall one morning that I got logged off about four times in a row while trying to post one reply (which I had to recreate once, then I learned to copy the text to the clipboard before clicking Post and getting logged out yet again). Then I tried turning off cookies, and I no longer get logged out.

Sheiky
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Right...where do I begin. I had not even read a word in this entire thread until now. Now I'm trying to catch up all the threads that I'm behind reading, since the new design and all the errors. I even have to use Internet Explorer to use this forum as I like it. No log outs and stuff.

Anyway I hope I'm not going to enlighten the fire too heavily, because while reading it intrigued me.

I find myself visiting this site less and less because of the changes that are popping up that in my opinion make it hard to use. Thats a shame because I visited this site all the time to check stuff out. Major disappointment for me when this site started covering Nikon gear and I just have to share that. I don't care two flips about Nikon gear and I'll never own one. There are tons of other Nikon specific sites so Its just over kill to have another!

I can see myself in this story. To be honest I've had my quiet moment here as well since all the changes and errors. I can also see your point with the Nikon stuff. I often make jokes of being anti-Nikon, but truly I personally don't really see the point of adding it here either. I must also say that I haven't had any trouble with it so far, other than scrolling trough a long list while checking the charts. If that's all there will be, I'm not complaining. However I do feel that the strength of all intelligence on Canon gear that is gathered here is mostly due to the fact that it's a Canon only site. And I like that. I cannot imagine someone asking advice about Nikon gear in the forums and receiving proper Nikon advice....pretty much never. Or at least for a long time.

There are also some other things that stood out for me.

No. People's work should be praised if it is deserving.I feel if you give raving reviews of work that isn't deserving you can be doing injustice to that person also.I have given and received praise without feeling I received or given a smooch to the glutes. But a lot of the time the comments that accompany the praise are way over the top.

You're so right here. I actually didn't like the national biggest photography site because of this phenomenon. The ugliest photos getting great reflections and so. There are also some difficulties here I think.

1 - Opinions differ. And so does skill level. I for instance like most of your work, but then I'm a newbie myself in that sort of shots, so in your eyes I might be overpraising you.

2 - There's also been some issues with the show and tell. There is a section here for critique threads and one for show and tell. Often this goes well, but I've also seen show and tell threads where the OP's pictures literally were burned down to the ground. That's a shame...

I have seen people give bad advice about gear without being able to correct them because they have become a demigod on this site. Then there are people get all high and mightywho are praised fortheir advice when really they are just quoting Bryan and have actually never used the gear at hand. This burns me more than anything. I can see ISO and MTF charts and read Bryan's reviews myself but to me real world experience is what I want to hear about.

I'm not seeing myself as a demigod, but I do recognise myself in one of those who gave bad advice at certain points. I pledge guilty [;)] Seriously, it's hard to get objective advice I think. Experience is also a big factor here. While I might have called my Tamron 17-50 verygood over time. I actually thought it was, however now that I'm further in time I do see that my opinion differs. My Tamron actually suffered from quite some chromatic abberations, but I'd never really noticed it until later on. So technically speaking my advice was sloppy. In other words, real time experience and knoledge about certain things also comes down to your personal style. I must say that I often think we got to technical around here and sometimes a softer, but creative shot is better than a supersharp, technical correct, but boring one. In some circumstances we give to much credit to the technical data and forget the more important things.

Anyway there are also times where I do not respond on a thread, because I feel like I have nothing to say. That's ok, because you can't know it all.

I'll try to think about all these different views the next time I'm replying somewhere and I hope this will get us to a better understanding of eachother.

I hope I'm not pulling anything out of perspective. If so let me know. I kind of lost the red line I had in mind so I hope it isn't too chaotic [;)]

Jan

PS: for the old-school members...I'm only 24, so I consider myself young and member of the digital generation, but I also hate it when people use their mobiles in the most riduculous situations. I can name you some, but I guess that point is already made.

freelanceshots
10-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Just to comment quickly I have been using the site more and more and I

ddt0725
10-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Anyways that was just me being in a bitchy mood I guess.

No problem, even I have had a bitchy moment or two![:D] I think we all are starting to adapt to the new layout and new inclusions. I have one question to throw out there ...how the heck do you quote multiple people in one post!? When I hit rich formatting to get the quote option, all I see in the thread is the post from the last person. I wanted to quote Jan here also on his last post but I guess I'll have to just post twice.

Denise

JJphoto
10-14-2010, 04:11 AM
I have one question to throw out there ...how the heck do you quote multiple people in one post!?

I used to use copy/paste to achieve that in the old software, but the copy/paste doesn't work in new software, the hint says that my firefox setting is not right, but I don't know how the heck to set it right, anybody can help? thanks

ddt0725
10-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Anyway there are also times where I do not respond on a thread, because I feel like I have nothing to say. That's ok, because you can't know it all.

I leave alot of the technical stuff to the technical advisors here, I know people will be better educated by you &amp; many others here. Maybe someday, I will be able to help a newbie when it comes to that sort of thing! [:O]

Often this goes well, but I've also seen show and tell threads where the OP's pictures literally were burned down to the ground. That's a shame... I remember being told my bird shot wasn't good enough to be in a "Post your best bird" thread shortly after picking up a dslr camera for the first time and new to this site.I removed the photo &amp; apologized even though at the time, it was one of my best![:P] I also got racked over the coals a few times in show &amp; tell.I almost put the camera away for goodanumber oftimesbut I'm sure glad I didn't! Many others here helped metremendously and encouraged me to keep at it. I do feel encouragement helps a great deal more than negative feedback for those in the very beginning stages.

Denise

neuroanatomist
10-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I have one question to throw out there ...how the heck do you quote multiple people in one post!? When I hit rich formatting to get the quote option, all I see in the thread is the post from the last person.

I'm sure there are other ways, but I do this:

After hitting Rich Formatting, I open the original thread in a new window (in Safari, that's as easy as Command-clicking the back button, but in the old software the little blue thread tree above General Discussion at the top was clickable links, which made it easier!).

Then I either:

1) In the full thread window, copy the text I want to quote from someone else, return to the rich formatting post, select a single word of the reply (your post in this case, Denise), click Quote, then overwrite the word I selected with the pasted text, and overwrite your name in the quote user="ddt0725" at the start of the quote with the user name of the person I'm actually quoting.

or

2) In the full thread window,Click Reply then Rich Formatting for the other person I want to quote in the reply, quote the text I want, then copy the quoted text including the tags from the second reply window, return to the original reply window, and paste it in.

The first method means you can quote anyone from anywhere: [8-|]

Blast medicine anyway! We've learned to tie into every organ in thehuman body but one. The brain! The brain is what life is all about.

Of course, you can always just post separate replies to each person you want to reply to, and in that way increase your post count and maybe that furthers your advancement to demigodhood?!? [:P]

I used to use copy/paste to achieve that in the old software, but the copy/paste doesn't work in new software, the hint says that my firefox setting is not right, but I don't know how the heck to set it right, anybody can help?

Wow, no idea why copy/paste wouldn't work for you in Firefox...it seems o work fine for me in the rich formatting editor and elsewhere... [*-)]

Sheiky
10-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Just to comment quickly I have been using the site more and more and I'm get used to the newer look and functions. Still not a Nikon fan and would always prefer to use my canon but to each is own. Anyways that was just me being in a bitchy mood I guess.

Grumpy old man [;)] [:P]

Just kidding, everybody has theirgood and their lesses days. Don't worry about that.

...how the heck do you quote multiple people in one post!? When I hit rich formatting to get the quote option, all I see in the thread is the post from the last person.

I open the same thread a number of times and I use rich formatting for each part that I want to quote. I use one of the tabs as my main tab where I copy paste the quote"codes" to. A bit a hussle, but it works [:P]