PDA

View Full Version : Lowepro Vertex 200 AW and/or Lowepro Pro Roller x200

deltasun
10-04-2010, 05:17 AM
I have an upcoming trip up to Alaska and would like to bring all my gear. Anybody have any experience with either of these or both? From the reviews I've found, it seems that bulkiness is the biggest complaint (for both). I'd like to hear from my fellow TDP'ers who have experience with these on overall thoughts/recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Roi

Richard Lane
10-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi Roi,

Check this thread out. I hope it helps!

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_gear1/f/9/p/4357/37317.aspx#37317 ("/photography_gear1/f/9/p/4357/37317.aspx#37317)

Feel free to ask me any other questions!

Rich

neuroanatomist
10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I have an upcoming trip up to Alaska and would like to bring all my gear. Anybody have any experience with either of these or both?

Disclaimer - I have experience with neither...

But, unless you'll be on paved paths the entire time, I'd be inclined to recommend against the Pro Roller. I do have and use the Lowepro Flipside 400AW - it's just slightly smaller than the Vertex 200 AW, and quite a bit cheaper. I find it to be very comfortable even loaded up and worn all day, and although it can't quite hold all my gear, it comes close. I am able to fit a gripped 7D,two white zooms (100-400, 70-200/2.8 II) and 3-4 'standard' black lenses (e.g. 10-22, 17-55, 100mm L Macro) all with hoods, plus a 1.4x extender and a 430EX II. Given that, you should have no trouble fitting all your gear into either the Flipside 400 or the Vertex 200.

The main difference seems to be that the Flipside opens from the 'front' (the side against your back) while the Vertex is a traditional backpack. I like that the Flipside can be opened and used as a platform to change lenses without removing it from my back. I also like that if I do set it on the ground to open it, the side that goes on the dirt is not the side that goes on my back. Also, will you be carrying a tripod? From trying out a Vertex in a brick-and-mortar shop before getting the Flipside, I found that having a tripod strapped on makes it less convenient to open the bag to get to the gear; the Flipside doesn't have that issue, since the tripod isn't strapped to the flap that opens.

Just my 2¢...good luck with your decision, and more importantly, have a great trip!

--John

deltasun
10-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks, guys, for the responses. I do like the Kata

deltasun
10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
I do like the Flipside 400, John. However, what I neglected to mention above is the need for a laptop compartment. :(

neuroanatomist
10-07-2010, 11:36 AM
I do like the Flipside 400, John. However, what I neglected to mention above is the need for a laptop compartment. :(

That would make a difference! I haven't (yet) found a need to carry a laptop along with my camera gear. For added photo storage, I might consider something like an Epson P-6000 - or even better (IMO) an iPad with the Camera Connection Kit.

Kayaker72
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Roi,

Alaska is great. That should be a really good trip.

In addition to the backpacks in the thread Rich referenced, I found myself also interested in the Tamrac Expedition series. Ultimately they were more backpack than I need at this time, but if you want to take "all your gear" plus a computer Tamrac, Lowepro, Kata and ThinkTank are likely very good places to start.

Brant