PDA

View Full Version : Focus Stacking?

bob williams
11-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Focus Stacking? I understand the term, But I have no idea when it is best used or how to do it-----methods, software, basic instruction would be appreciated---Nothing long or detailed, just a basic understanding on what this is and how you do it would be very interesting.

Thanks,

Bob

elmo_2006
11-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Focus Stacking? I understand the term, But I have no idea when it is best used or how to do it-----methods, software, basic instruction would be appreciated---Nothing long or detailed, just a basic understanding on what this is and how you do it would be very interesting.

Thanks,

Bob
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Interesting topic, but maybe this link may be of some assistance as it mentions software and some sample shots.

http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/ ("http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/)

ddt0725
11-06-2010, 02:57 AM
Interesting topic, but maybe this link may be of some assistance as it mentions software and some sample shots.
<p sizset="41" sizcache="21"]http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/ ("http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/articles/macro/focus_stacking/)

I have been looking into this also and I read that article the other day and found it informative but also found downloading the suggested program confusing as far as which version etc. Anyone know of any other programs to use?

Denise

Alan
11-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Bob, I have some experience with this. I use Photoshop CS5 to do the focus stacking, but there are other programs out there that can accomplish it.

Basically, you take 2 or more pictures, with each of them focused on a different part of the image. You load the images into the program, which "stack" the images one on top of each other. After you highlight all the images, you do blend of the images, and the program finds the areas that don't match and eliminates them.

In Photoshop, this is called a script.

It works best with static objects, like a landscape scene, where things are not moving (wind can cause blurring, depending on what is moving in the wind).

For me, most of my focused stacked processes are done with 2 images. I use the back AF button (disconnecting the shutter button from focusing). I set my camera to f/8, focus something close in the foreground (let's say, a rock or a bush), then move the camera to where I want the final image composition to be. I take the shot.

Without moving the camera, I hit the back AF button again, which will be on the background object (whatever that might be). It now refocuses on that object. I take the second shot.

These two images are put into Photoshop and a script is run on them, like described above.

The result is that Photoshop throws away all of the out of focus areas. The two images are then "flattened" and the resulting single image is in perfect focus from the foreground to the background.

It makes it possible to take a picture that has a very deep depth of field, without using high f/stops. I've found that the images are sharper than hyperfocal distant focusing, too.

Another great use is macro shots. You can get really close to, say, a flower, and take several manually focused images, stack them, and get a nicely focused flower from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Alan
11-06-2010, 03:56 AM
Here is an example of one I did while in the Grand Teton park. It's a shot of the Old Patriarch tree. The first and second shots are the foreground and background focused. The third is the stacked image, followed by a slight cropping and further adjustment in Photoshop.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/3113.foreground.jpg

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0636.background.jpg

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/0410.Old-Patriarch.jpg

NFLD Stephen
11-06-2010, 12:06 PM
This is a very interesting subject! I had never heard of focus stacking before.

I would be interested on what would happen if you used a very narrow depth of field and focused on two separate obects/points. Could you create a photo with two distinct focus planes and keep the other areas OOF? You would have (for example) one object in the foreground in focus and one object in the background in focus with the area in between OOF. Is this possible? I guess it would depend on how the blending of the two photos was done via software....

Stephen

doggiedoc
11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I

ddt0725
11-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Beautiful photo, Alan. I

doggiedoc
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Denise - You can download a 30 day trial of CS5 from Adobe. It

bob williams
11-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Alan, Great Explanation---Thanks a bunch.

Bob

ddt0725
11-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Anyone use this?

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html ("http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html)

Sheiky
11-07-2010, 12:58 AM
I would be interested on what would happen if you used a very narrow depth of field and focused on two separate obects/points. Could you create a photo with two distinct focus planes and keep the other areas OOF?

I guess you can...it's a software thing. But I'm as interested as you are [:D]

I do think it would look very unnatural and maybe even weird, but who knows...it's sounds very creative!

Alan
11-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Anyone know if this can be done in Elements? I don't have PS.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Denise, the answer is no, at least for Elements 8. I don't know if the version 9 includes it.

doggiedoc
11-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Here is my attempt using Photoshop CS5. It took some trial and error.

/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/4721.FocusStack.jpg

With the camera on a tripod I focused on key aspects of the subject like the words Nerd, Calculus, Canon... ect. Shot with my 40D and EF 50mm f/1.2 at f/1.2 on Aperture priority and manual focus.

doggiedoc
11-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I used 6 images for the final image but for the sake of uploading, these are the 3 key focal points.

/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/3617.IMG_5F00_2683.jpg

/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/7215.IMG_5F00_2688.jpg

/resized-image.ashx/__size/1024x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/13/6472.IMG_5F00_2690.jpg

NFLD Stephen
11-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Hey! I

doggiedoc
11-07-2010, 02:34 AM
They don