PDA

View Full Version : 580ex II External Metering

Joel Bookhammer
02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
In Brians review of this flash unit he mentioned the ability of manually putting in information such as iso and aperture, and the flash figures out the correct output.Does anyone have any experience with using external metering off camera? DO you prefer to use this rather then the regular manual mode? With my current set up im using a non canon off camera flash trigger, and ettl is not possible so while im going to try both modes out myself I'd like some input on with other people think of the external metering mode.

thanks

joel

Fink_Studios
10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
I would personally say if you are doing any external metering than you need a seprate light meter such as a sekonic 758 as there are many models to choose from this is one with a ton of features but I would look into purchasing a light mete if you are very serious about this topic.

Good luck and keep taking pictures

apersson850
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
The 580 EX II doesn't expose very well in many cases, when it meters on its own.

And if you use it as a slave to the internal flash controller in the 7D, it often overexposes gravely. But that's a fault of the camera, not the flash.

apersson850
10-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry, posting error. Is there no Delete function here?