PDA

View Full Version : Used 7D Camera Price Devaluation?

krstahl
03-11-2011, 01:57 AM
I may be selling my Canon 7D system because it is <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]too heavy for use as a Back Country camera.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] It takes beautiful photos and I love it, but the camera and case weight of +8# is too much when added to a 50# hiking backpack.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]However, If I sell, Idon't know where to start for pricing. What is a typical percentage devaluation (from new) of a DSLR body/lens system for items about 6 months old? I have a Canon 7D body, Canon24-70mm f2.8 L USM lens, 2 batteries, charger, <span style="font-size: 10pt;"]8Gb 60 Mb/s UDMA CF, B&amp;W UV haze filter, and all the other stuff that came with the camera/lens. This was not a kit. All but the filter are Canon parts. All parts are like-new condition except the manual has a few turned-down pages.

<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I am not fishing for a buyer, <span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA;"]<span style="font-size: 10pt;"]I just have no idea where to start if I do decide to sell. I have checked eBay and there are notvery many 7Ds out there, nor are there any 24-70 f2.8 Llenses. If the devaluation is too much I may have to "eat" the cost on this camera and keep it while trying to figure out how to buy a lighter, and less versatile, camera.

HDNitehawk
03-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Canon sells a refurbished for $1,359. Personally I wouldn

erno james
03-11-2011, 05:38 AM
Man, I hate to see a camera like that go. If at all possible, I would try to hang onto your 7D and kit and buy something else. If it

Steve U
03-11-2011, 06:04 AM
You have a great camera with the 7D, I would not give that up. I would consider selling the 24-70, while it is a fantastic lens, it is not the lens most people grab when going hiking.

Why don

Kayaker72
03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I

nvitalephotography
03-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I can tell you what I have seen them go for on ebay. Keep in mind these numbers are from about 2 months ago when I was looking for a new lens, so things may have changed a little bit.

I saw the 24-70 f2.8 go for about $1000 regularly.

B&amp;W UV filters around $40-50.

I havent really looked at 7D

dsiegel5151
03-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Someone is selling a 7D on my local craigslist for $1300. To tell you the truth, I almost called him/her to check it out (I

JJphoto
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
the earthquake may cause the shortage of supply, the news said Toyota in Japan has to stop producing cars, not sure Canon will have to stop so you may want to wait a bit if you really want to sell.

Chris White
03-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I concur with the others before me, if at all possible I would keep the 7D and either add a P/S of maybe a reble like the T1i with the kit lens. It is light and Adorama has a refurb for $550 here:

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html ("http://www.adorama.com/ICADRT1IKR.html)

I agree with JJ, you may see a shortage of bodies. I do not know what supply chain is, but I have noticed the last few weeks that the 1D IV are "<span class="red"]Temporarily out of stock" at a lot of reputable dealers. If nothing else, your 7D may hold more value if the supply is short for a while.

<span class="red"]Still, I would keep the 7D. Just my $.02

<span class="red"]Chris

krstahl
03-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Thanks for all the good comments. I have recently looked fairly seriously at the G12 as a backpacking camera. I just don

Emsdad
04-05-2011, 09:32 PM
My first post! I

Fast Glass
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I would not sell your 7D, you are not losing much weight. Only 10 onces if you go to a Rebel. A lighter pack, fewer lenses, lighter lenses or lighter tripod will make much more differance. I do not like Rebels very much and have had poor experience with them. If you go to a 60D it

greggf
04-06-2011, 05:14 AM
I

rslhc
04-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Before going the eBay route, check the percentage of the fees involved with both eBay and PayPal. Selling your 7D for $1300 doesn

krstahl
04-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Emsdad,

I am still considering selling the 7D. It

Fast Glass
04-07-2011, 06:04 AM
This is what I recomend to maintain a light weight setup.

60D lighter than 7D

24-105mm or 17-55mm, both weigh the same and lighter than 24-70mm

70-200mm f/4 IS, a light weight zoom

10-22mm or third party equivalent also very light

Carbon fiber tripod

Light weight ball head

The lightest weight pack you can find

That would weigh 5.7 pounds for your lenses and camera. Add about a pound for a light weight pack and you don't have to take your tripod with youif the hike is long. You could keep your 7D and only add 5 oz .

The ultra wide is optional and it's up to you if you use that focal length or not. That would save almost a pound.

That would make a extremely high quality setup when you want to lug around your gear. For hiking get a Canon 18-200mm with a 60D or your 7D and nothing else and that would only weigh 2.7 pounds. It has IS and you don't need to have a tripod and only need a very light soft padded case for it.

I do not like point and shoot's at all and do not recomend them. But that's up to you to decide if they are good enough for what you want to use it for.

Don't sell your 7D![:(]

Cheers,

John.

Steven23
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
i would lose the backpack and just eat nature, like the good old days of around 1500

Emsdad
04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey, thanks for the response. You

Kanonia
04-15-2011, 01:12 AM
Hi krstahl,

Interested in the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. Can you email me; macthenhan001@gmail.com

Thanks,

krstahl
04-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Thanks to all of you who weighed in on this thread as to what a proper price devaluation should be for my 7D and lens. With the camera "shortage" out there right now because of the tsunami in Japan, I could probably get top dollar for this camera. However, as I keep using it, I fall more deeply in love with it. Therefore, I have decided to keep the 7D which should make many of you happy that I took your advice. And, it should disappoint a couple of you that would like to have purchased all, or a part of, my 7D system.

What pretty much tipped the scales towards keeping it is two fold:

1) The G-12 (and similar products) just do not have the image quality of the 7D and I have become kinda used to that great quality as long as I pay attention to what I

Dr Croubie
06-02-2011, 06:27 AM
If you can afford it, I hear the Leica M9 with a 35/1.4 is a nice lightweight travel camera... :P

but sticking with canon dslr for now, 550/600d + 15-85 is a good option for hiking, same sensor, just worse AF and FPS (does that matter when using high-F for landscapes?)