PDA

View Full Version : Anyone look at camera prices lately!? WOW!!!

ddt0725
04-05-2011, 12:29 AM
[:O] Have I been living under a rock the past week or what!? The 1D MK IV is $6,000 now on Amazon and the 7D is $2,100! A year ago I paid $1550 for my 7d!

And I actually thought I might be able to afford a used 1D MK IV at some point soon ...HA! HA! HA! [:'(]

Due to supply shortage, people that do still have them in stock are sure taking advantage of the situation!

Hmmm...keep my 7d or trade for a used 1d mk III?

Denise

Alan
04-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Denise, if you look closer at Amazon, it's the same price it's always been: $1700.

If you buy it from "the Portable Guy," you're going to get hosed, and pay much more than it's worth.

Alan

ddt0725
04-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Oops ...I thought it was out of stock at the "normal" price.

HDNitehawk
04-05-2011, 01:17 AM
B&H raised the price listed on the 1D IV to its suggested price of $4999. Mine was around $4600 when I bought it.

But both Adorama and B&H are out of the 1D IV

ddt0725
04-05-2011, 01:24 AM
That

Chris White
04-05-2011, 01:43 AM
I have been watching this for the last month or so, before the earthquake and tsunami, and for some reason the 1D IV has been scarce from reputable dealers. Since the earthquake and tsunami, the 7D and 1D IV have both been very scarce and the 5D II spotty. It seems the prices on all of them has gone back to at least list when they are available.

JJphoto
04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Oops ...I thought it was out of stock at the "normal" price.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

the 7D is out of stock. I guess you can't get a new 7D for $1700 anywhere in the US right now. the cheapest price I can find is about $1900 on a ebay store which I trust. I think it's a good time to sell.

does any body want to buy my 7D?[:D] since I can't take picture for a while anyway.

DavidEccleston
04-05-2011, 01:53 AM
I can see several decent prices on photoprice.ca

Canonpricewatch is showing all the US retailers OOS, except for the Canon store

Chris White
04-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I can't take picture for a while anyway

Sorry to hear that JJ, did I miss something?

JJphoto
04-05-2011, 03:53 AM
I can't take picture for a while anyway

Sorry to hear that JJ, did I miss something?

my bad English, I should have said "I don't have time to take picture for a while anyway."

it's been super busy and it should back to normal in few months, thank you very much for asking that Chris!

Alan
04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
the 7D is out of stock. I guess you can't get a new 7D for $1700 anywhere in the US right now. the cheapest price I can find is about $1900 on a ebay store which I trust. I think it's a good time to sell.

OneCall.com has the 7D listed for $1699 and free shipping. Even if it's not in stock at the moment, it's still available at the listed price. A short wait to get one wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'd be out taking pictures with a previous gen camera in the meantime.

elmo_2006
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I

JJphoto
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM

OneCall.com has the 7D listed for $1699 and free shipping. Even if it's not in stock at the moment, it's still available at the listed price. A short wait to get one wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'd be out taking pictures with a previous gen camera in the meantime.

yes Alan, you are right. Amazon is selling their 7D for $1700 but out of stock too. the thing is that how long is it going to take to back to normal.and ordering at $1700 and wait is not a good idea anyway, because when the supply back to normal, the price should be a lot less then $1700. if you can sell your used 7D for about $1350 now, you probably can buy it back brand new for the same price in few months when the supply chain back to normal. just my 2 cents.

Chris White
04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
it's been super busy

Glad to hear that is all. I can relate to that, that is why I only get to check in every couple of days or so.

Chris

neuroanatomist
04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
FWIW, Amazon has the 5DII (body only) back in stock, so there is some movement in the supply chain. Also, depending on your ability to wait, I notice that Amazon is offering the 7D + 28-135mm kit for $1699, although it's out of stock. Still, if you order it at that price, you'll get it at that price, which the same price listed for the (also out of stock) 7D body only! Granted, it's not an ideal lens - but assuming you don't need it, you could sell it on CL, FM, or eBay and effectively knock ~$200 off the price of the 7D (bringing it down to the pre-shortage price, I suppose).

JJphoto
04-07-2011, 04:09 AM
this thing is changing fast like the stock market, just checked the price, the 7D(new) is selling for $1750 on ebay, how much will it be tomorrow?

Alan
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
this thing is changing fast like the stock market, just checked the price, the 7D(new) is selling for $1750 on ebay, how much will it be tomorrow?

Tomorrow is here, and the 7D (new) is back on B&amp;H's list at the same, old price it's always been.

Bryan has the details on the "News."

JJphoto
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Tomorrow is here, and the 7D (new) is back on B&amp;H's list at the same, old price it's always been.

Alan, for people who must buy from B&amp;H and Adaroma, you are probably right if the price is without rebate, I'm not sure if it is always been though. I usually go with ebay, I remember it was about $1450 for a new 7D pre-earthquake. but today, they still selling for $1750 which is higher than the B&amp;H, I expect they will lower their price if the supply chain is back to normal completely.just 2 cents.

DavidEccleston
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I remember it was about $1450 for a new 7D pre-earthquake

Briefly. Yes. Check out the price history graph at Canon Price Watch ("http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02849/Canon-EOS-7D-price.html). It also shows that we're still $100 above the typical pre-quake pricing.

neuroanatomist
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's the recent price history for the 7D:

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/graph/02849-Canon-EOS-7D-price-graph.png

EDIT: Scooped by Dave's link.

HDNitehawk
04-13-2011, 04:06 PM
People watch the prices close enough to track it like the stock market....interesting

neuroanatomist
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
People watch the prices close enough to track it like the stock market....interesting

You're not the only one thinking in those terms ("http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/)...

Kayaker72
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
If that continues, the lensrentals business model is looking like absolute genius.

JJphoto
04-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Watching the prices help me know the "personality"of a camera store.so I know which one like to have reasonable price and which one tends to "rip off".[:D]

anyway, for the price of 7D, i'm pretty sure it was between $1430-$1470 in most of the time last year in some ebay stores(Canon Authorized, US version, brand new, without rebate, fast shipping, good service). so I think those price watching or price charts should include these stores too.

$1700 for a 7D? no, thanks[:)]

Chris White
04-13-2011, 07:44 PM

My lens purchases the last six months have been better investments than the stock market! [:P]

HDNitehawk
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
My lens purchases the last six months have been better investments than the stock market!

I wonder if I cantrade options on my gear. Maybe open a margin account with B&amp;H.

JJphoto
04-14-2011, 12:42 AM
You're not the only one thinking in those terms ("http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/)...

My lens purchases the last six months have been better investments than the stock market! /photography_gear1/emoticons/emotion-4.gif

I wonder if I cantrade options on my gear. Maybe open a margin account with B&amp;H.

WOW, by checking my collection of lenses, I have to agree[:D]

option plus margin, Rick, you are the most aggressive risk taker I have ever seen[Y][:D]