PDA

View Full Version : Quick ? regarding an event I am photographing in one hour!

ddt0725
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi guys,

Yesterday before I left work, I decided to throw an employee appreciation cook-out today for the afternoon which starts in an hour.

I not only am handling the event but also photographing it for our company "employee only section" of our website. I am going to be dealing with a lot of shade from the building most of the afternoon but also some full sun in areas where the yard games are being played. I think everyone will be more willing of having their photograph taken if I don't bring out any flash for fill, etc.
Which leads me to my question especially after Neuro's latest tests ...should I use UV filters, circular polarizing filters, ND or none??? I have a number of lenses here with me but not every type of filter for each lens.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Denise

P.S. Lovely, last minute I switched everything to my larger bag but forgot my battery charger at home in my small bag ...let's hope I'm working on a full charge here! [:|]

EDIT: Found my charger! [:$]

Sheiky
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Which leads me to my question especially after Neuro's latest tests ...should I use UV filters, circular polarizing filters, ND or none??? I have a number of lenses here with me but not every type of filter for each lens.

I'm not entirely sure what you are about to photograph. It sounds like a sort of barbecue to me. An easy going setting where photos are more of a memory/snap shots than a photoshoot so to say.

In that case I wouldn't bother to much and use no filters or UV-filters(haven't seen the latest testing from Neuro[:P])

Polarizers might work, but I always think that you need to think over your shot before you actually use one. And that doesn't seem to fit the idea of your party. It should be fun for you as well [;)] Don't hide behind the camera the entire time haha... You have the equipment to make the photos look spectacular and I think that would work.

Or do they have big expectations after yesterdays POP photo of the day? [:D]

Have fun!

Jan

Richard Lane
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I am going to be dealing with a lot of shade from the building most of the afternoon but also some full sun in areas where the yard games are being played. I think everyone will be more willing of having their photograph taken if I don't bring out any flash for fill, etc.

Well, I think I missed the deadline. I think candids are the best, for things like this and then if a few people are huddled together, I would just ask them to, "squish together for a quick shot".

Then you could go for 1 or 2 larger group shots when the time seems right.

As far as filters go.

I like the polarizers in bright sunlight, harsh mid day light, or when I have to worry about reflections from; water, snow, plants, or glass.

As you may have noticed, I use them alot, for Surfing, Sailing and Skiing. I usually try and take off the UV filter before I put on the CPL, if I feel that I'm in a controlled environment where I could do so without worrying about dropping anything in the snow, sand, or water. Otherwise I'll just slap the CPL over the UV filter. Even though the UV filters only sacrifice a small amount of light, I usually try to avoid stacking filters, in order to limit the amount of layers of glass in between the subject and the lens. Another exception may be a CPL and ND filter where you may need both to achieve the desired affect.

As far as the UV filters go, I'm going to leave them on all of the time for some protection and weather sealing, and perhaps just take them off if Sun flare is going to be a big concern, like in Sunrises or Sunsets.

ND and gradient filters will be just for when the need arises.

I hope the party went well!

Rich

ddt0725
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Jan & Rich for your suggestions. I ended up going with no filters. Party went very well and I think a great deal of the photos turned out ok. Lots of shadow on some of them. We

Steve U
04-13-2011, 11:05 PM
They arethe ones I want to see.[:P]

I suppose you were wearing one of those pro photog vests, with heaps of pockets and a press pass, now you are a published photographer.[H]

Steve

MacManUS
04-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Denise,

Have you been using off camera flash in any of your recent shots? And how many folks here use off camera flash besides Sean.

Brian

ddt0725
04-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Denise,

Have you been using off camera flash in any of your recent shots? And how many folks here use off camera flash besides Sean.

Brian
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

For outside, I've only used off-camera flash for macro shots and with my better beamer for birds. Other than that, now that I think about it I have only used off-camera flash inside. Then I use it alot ...after all, Sean is my teacher!

Denise

ddt0725
04-14-2011, 02:46 AM
They arethe ones I want to see./emoticons/emotion-4.gif

HA! Those will never leave my home computer screen! Unless of course, I buy that Portrait Professional Studio 10!

Denise

Jordan
04-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Can we see some of the photos to see how they turned out??

ddt0725
04-25-2011, 03:27 AM
No, I already asked some of the employees and they said no. As for the ones of me ...um ...nope! Sorry!

Steve U
04-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Ohhhh....