PDA

View Full Version : Can the 18-200mm kit lens deliver good results with Speedlite 580EX & f8 settings for low-light dinner events?

csphua
02-19-2009, 11:34 PM
I am planning to do a lot of low-light event photography soon, and I want to know if my 18-200mm kit lens that comes together with my 50D can deliver high quality photos when paired with Speedlite 580EX and using f8 (since I want to get sharp faces for all attendees)? I still do not have budget to get good lens (f <= 2.8) now.

Please advise. Thanks.

Dallasphotog
02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Rent the EF24-70mm f/2.8 for your events. It's stellar with the 580EX II and you'll be happy with the results. You can rent it very resonably.

Benjamin
02-19-2009, 11:51 PM
It will depend on your working distance. How big of a scene are you capturing and how far away from you need to be covered? All flash power will decrease with distance, it will result in uneven lighted image from place near you to place far away from you. narrow aperture will only result in greater DOF, while it will limit the working distance of your flash. The 18-200 is not great optically, but if that's what you prefer and you will work at f8, it will be all right i guess.

To my own taste I will not use a flash at all when filming conference or anything that has a perspective not a flat plane.

csphua
02-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the suggession, but here not much renting services of lens available... and I would like to minimize investment and get best results.

csphua
02-20-2009, 02:09 AM
It will depend on your working distance. How big of a scene are you capturing and how far away from you need to be covered? All flash power will decrease with distance, it will result in uneven lighted image from place near you to place far away from you. narrow aperture will only result in greater DOF, while it will limit the working distance of your flash. The 18-200 is not great optically, but if that's what you prefer and you will work at f8, it will be all right i guess.

To my own taste I will not use a flash at all when filming conference or anything that has a perspective not a flat plane.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I guess the working distance will not be very far, most likely within 10 meters. Do you think this distance is still ok for the setup I have in mind?

Daniel Browning
02-20-2009, 02:10 AM
I do not suggest using the long end of that lens. Use bounce flash if you can.

If you can get an assistant, or you are highly ambidextrous, then you can buy a wireless master and 430EX for not much more than a single 580EX. Hold the flash on the end of a rod and position it for the best off-camera key angle.