PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else tired of camera scams?

Stephen Probert
02-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Sorry this is a bit off topic...

I wrote on a related topic about swoopo.com pretty much being a scam, and Bryan (because he is a highly ethical guy) made sure to remove them from being able to advertise on TDP.com. But is anyone else getting fed up with the Camera scammers who try to say they will sell you a $1500 camera for $1000 bucks?!

There are so many companies doing this, and they are getting away with it because Google doesn't screen who they are advertising. I have gotten at least 5 such advertisements from different companies in my gmail. I think: "this is too good to be true" and I google "company name + review (or "scam")" and inevitably, there are a hundred reviews of the company out there where people ordered from them, the next day they get a call where they are pressured or threatened to pay exorbitantly for included accessories....a basic bait and switch. I warned a friend off of a company called Broadway Photo, and my in-laws fell for one of these scams trying to buy a point-and-shoot. And it is not just Google advertising. Many times when I check price-histories on NexTag.com, the price-lowballing company is one of these scammers. I have never fallen for one of these, but I think enough is enough because there are people out there who don't know better!

I am passionate about this because it is sad, and I think a big, innovative company like Google shouldn't be allowing this kinda thing through their advertising. But I guess the "Almightly Dollar" is more important to them than honest.

Why not start a list here of these fake companies (I don't think any of them actually have a physical address). The ones I can remember are:

Broadway Photo, Pro Photo Nation...I can't remember the others (shoulda' written them down), but I just found a list here:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_stores_2006.html ("http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/photo_stores_2006.html)

BestPriceCameras <span>

InfinityPhoto <span>

JandKCameras <span>

Broadway Photo

A&amp;M Photo World

Regal Camera

Prestige Camera

Preferred Photo

Wisetronics<span>

Express Cameras

Genius Cameras<span>

RiteBuys<span>

SonicCameras

PricingDepot.com

USAPhotoNation

RadioactiveDeals

BananaBoatCamera

CCICameraCity

HoyBuyElectronics<span>

Century21Electronics<span>

RoyalCamera<span>

TheCameraPros

AllStar Camera Inc

Hopefully by raising awareness on the internet, these criminals will lose there business and have to go back to purse snatching.

<tr>
<td width="244"]
</td>
<td width="145" align="center"]
</td>
</tr>

Alan
02-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I agree.

How about places that do the opposite? Charging WAY more for a camera than the MSRP?

clemmb
02-20-2009, 11:49 PM
I checked on an ad too good to be true for a 5D new for $1,100. I can not remember who it was but I found the camera was a grey plastic body.

I once dealt with Wallstreet camera and felt taken.

I have always found B&amp;H, Adorama and KEH to be very reasonable and honest.

Thanks for the heads up on these others.

Dallasphotog
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
I have just one word ADORAMA. Thier prices are competitive, their staff is great and they go out of their way to make sure you are a happy customer. I have several stories about their service if anyone cares to message me privately, but suffice to say they are outstanding.

I just prevented a friend from falling off into the black hole you documented above. When in doubt, just go search http://www.resellerratings.com ("http://www.resellerratings.com)

Now if ADORAMA could only tell me how to get 16x20's shipped across the country without getting a fold down the middle. Does anyone in the post office actually read the big print that says PHOTOS DO NOT BEND?

Stephen Probert
02-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Everyone knows this, but I would like to go ahead and plug for B&amp;H. I have had some conversations with their sales associates that go to show just how extrememly ethical and customer-minded they are. I buy from them with pleasure.

EdN
02-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Two of my friends who were checking out prices for equipment found their internet sites and were quite interested/hooked because of the low ball prices. Since I've heard of them through www.bobatkins.com ("http://www.bobatkins.com) , this forum and others, I was suspicious right away. I was able to warn them off and they went ahead to purchase from reputable dealers without problems. I just wonder how many people who are unaware or naiveget caught by these scammers and pay for it. There should be a way that first time buyers can be made aware of these sites.

Keith B
02-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I have just one word ADORAMA. Thier prices are competitive, their staff is great and they go out of their way to make sure you are a happy customer. I have several stories about their service if anyone cares to message me privately, but suffice to say they are outstanding.

I like Adorama. A lot of the times they are a little cheaper than B&amp;H. I receive damaged stuff from B&amp;H a couple times. They were clearly visibly damaged and they sent them anyway. They I had a hard time getting refunds. So I was over them.

The only issue I had with Adorama was a slow shipping issue. I ordered something Christmas night and expected it to go out on the 26th (they were open). I paid for express shipping, then the next thing I know, it doesn't show up until Jan. 4th. I just wrote if off a holiday crunch shaft.

Colin
02-22-2009, 04:44 AM
I've had some okay experiences with Adorama, though one dude there was just annoying in selling me filters I didn't want, and then sending me filters with fingerprints all over them. Just annoying.

B&amp;H has always delivered what I ordered, and once took back a couple of Sigma 150mm Macro lenses and extenders with no other reason necessary than I just didn't like how they felt.

Calumet has been okay in the past too, though their website was a pain to figure out.

B&amp;H is my default, though Adorama is fine with me. I liked the refurbed 100-400 delivery just fine. No hassles, just showed up with the filter I ordered.

HelenOster
02-22-2009, 04:50 AM
Dear Keith

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Sounds to me that we owe you a shipping refund! Please contact me directly, <st1:personname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1:personname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"], <span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]with your order number and I will check this out for you.<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]If you ever have a query or concern regarding another order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o:p></o:p>

<st1:personname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1:personname u2:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</u1:personname>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o:p><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o:p>

</st1:personname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>

HelenOster
02-22-2009, 04:58 AM
"I've had some okay experiences with Adorama, though one dude there was just annoying in selling me filters I didn't want, and then sending me filters with fingerprints all over them."

<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Dear Colin
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]I do apologize that you received filters with fingerprints over them, and that may have appeared not to be brand new. <o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]There is one probable explanation; the manufacturers and distributors, who supply to Adorama, and of course, other retailers, do allow us to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. This can be a particular issue after the Christmas holiday when we all need to balance out our inventories. <o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Even if we at Adorama are completely thorough when packaging up these items for return, there is no doubt that less scrupulous retailers could well be receiving returns, trusting the customer's explanation that they never opened the box - packaging them up for return to the manufacturer or distributor. These items then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers.<o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]No retailer can inspect the contents of every packaged received into the warehouse. If the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even though it may well have not been their fault <o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of. While this does not exempt us from more closely checking any and all returns, some retailers don't; we know we shouldn't do it, but it happens.<o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.<o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]The other issue you raised was in connection with feeling that you were being pressured into purchasing additional items that you didn't actually require. While we do expect our sales staff to be able to advise customers about additional products, I would always want to be informed if this was presented in a high pressure way that made our customers feel uncomfortable.
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist any further with the issues you raised, or any issues in relaton to ordering from Adorama.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]
<st1:personname w:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1:personname><o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Tahoma;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="background: #efefef; margin: 0cm 0cm auto;" class="justify1"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Tahoma;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o:p><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o:p>

Benjamin
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
How about places that do the opposite? Charging WAY more for a camera than the MSRP?
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I guess their stuff will just not sell at all... And when people ask them to match price with stores that sell for cheap, they can always do it. Like Vistek in Toronto.

Colin
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks Helen,

You're a very gracious ambassador.

I will keep your comments in mind if I ever have a problem, though I think I'll be fine.

Thanks again!

colin

Ehcalum
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
KEH.com Its a haven for used equipment and generally on par with new gear.

lightning_chaser
02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
This reply is not about a scam, but it is a quick warning. I really like Adorama, especially their print service. I made a recent purchase (two weeks ago) and bought a refurb Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro that came factory sealed and in pristine condition. I also bought a used 1Ds Mark II that was rated as an E+, or:

Excellent Plus 96-97% of original condition

<div>May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.</div>
<div>
</div>
<div>It was $2,599. This being my first 1-series camera I was literally shaking when it arrived and couldn't wait to get it in my hands. So I started to open it. First the strap...the Canon Digital writing was a nasty yellow color with hair all over it. Fine, I don't really use it anyway. It was labelled as having the accs and box. No manual (I can download, who cares) and the battery cover was missing. The charger and DC coupler kits was absolutely COVERED in sand and dust. Now I'm freaking out since I have yet to look at the body itself. I pull it out, and it had fine sand and dust in EVERY crack, button, and any place it could get into. There are several specks on all of the pictures I take so I need to clean the sensor, but there is dirt on the focusing screen and pentaprism too. The main grip had this nasty crudd in it (I assume from a sweaty hand) that I had to spend two full hours scrubbing off with a tooth brush and water+dish soap mix. The BIGGEST issue was that I couldn't send it back. If it went back for any reason my wife would have made me get a refund, and then there was no way for me to buy another one since I basically ordered it from her confusion. She didn't want me to spend that kind of money on it, and her "go ahead and order it" was referring to the lens only. Sorry, a little off point. When I see a rating of 96%-97% original condition, I expect to get something pretty close to new. Is close inspection considered 15 feet away? I was stunned at this since I have had nothing but good expirences with them. It wasn't serviced in any way, and not even cleaned or dusted for that matter. It's been two weeks and I have finally got most of it clean except for the internal dirt which I just had cleaned for $100 at a local shop. But one of the gaskets right below and right of the viewfinder looks like it's missing so the moisture seal is gone. Oh yeah, there is dust on the INSIDE of the two inch LCD. </div>
<div>
</div>
<div>So from now on, refurb is just fine. But I will never buy anything used unless I can look at it first. Once storm season comes, I'm not sure if I should try to shoot in even the finest drizzle. That was the whole purpose of getting the 1Ds2 in the first place. I'm sure Helen is not going to be happy with this post, but I don't think anything can even but done at this point anyway. Great camera, but more like a rating of Very Good with a much cheaper price. Just my two cents.</div>
<div>
</div>
<div>Rick Hovanec
</div>

HelenOster
02-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Dear Rick

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I have no problem whatsoever withyour posting - I have the problem with the person who rated it at 96-97% of original condition - although I'll be generous, and until I've looked into it, give the used department the benefit of the doubt, that maybe the packer took it from the wrong section of the warehouse....<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Either way, contact me directly with your order number, and let's get you a partial refund so you can take your wife out for dinner this weekend!<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster

<st1:personname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1:personname u2:st="on"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</u1:personname>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o:p></o:p>
</st1:personname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>

lightning_chaser
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
That's funny! ;-)

I'm sure she'd love that with all things considered.

I'll send you an e-mail with the info.

HelenOster
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]I understand that Joel, in the used department has given you a choice between an exchange for a pristine model - or some $$$ back. (You could buy her a nice new outfit, too, if you take the refund!!)<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Whatever you decide, I hope I've been able to reassure you that while we do make mistakes, we are committed to learning from them, and putting them right. <o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Sincerely<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Helen Oster

<st1:personname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com ("helen.oster@adoramacamera.com)</st1:personname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]www.adoramacamera.com ("http://www.adoramacamera.com)

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>

Matthew Gilley
02-23-2009, 08:24 PM
I'll second that Adorama's used department needs to be audited. The customer service is top notch - but ideally they shouldn't be contacted. The used equipment should come as rated and customers proceed to take pictures. I ordered a used 17-55 2.8 IS that was rated as "E" (Excellent 90-95% of original condition Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.)

It came with very dusty lens glass upon immediate inspection. I brushed this off. After immediate use, the IS was intermittent. This is something that I realize could be missed on inspection, but a major flaw nonetheless. Thankfully, their customer service got everything straightened out (Alan deserves the pat on the back, Helen =). I have missed the cash now for going on a month, but miss the pictures I could have shot with this lens more. I should have bought new, especially if I was purchasing before travel or a major event.

I'll give Adorama's used dept one more shot before avoiding the time/hassle of customer service, even though it's top notch.

Helen's active approach to customer service on this forum conveys a lot more about the service than I can say here. Thanks!

Still a happy Adorama customer,

Matthew

HelenOster
02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Dear Matthew<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Sounds horrible; and you are absolutely correct - the used department should be getting this right first time. Can you just clarify for me, are you still waiting refund / exchange?<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]If so, email me directly with your order number and I will deal with it right away.<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Sincerely<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<st1:personname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com</st1:personname><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Verdana;"]www.adoramacamera.com<o:p></o:p>

Colin
02-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Helen, if I weren't engaged, I might have to fall in love with you [:)]

lightning_chaser
02-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I would like to start this post with an apology to the OP, I did not mean to clutter up (or "hijack") your thread with this. That was not my intention. I really didn't expect anything from my original reply. However, with that:

I want to leave an update to my reply. After speaking with Helen and Joel (from used department) my rare problem with Adorama was VERY QUICKLY, GENEROUSLY, AND PROFESSIONALLY corrected. For me it was unexpected and I honestly thought there was nothing that could be done at that point, but I was incorrect. I'm not going to go into details but it was in fact fixed and it was more than enough which proves that Adorama stands behind their products. Very dedicated to their customers and with knowing that I will be comfortable in buying from both the new AND used departments. Just a couple days ago I really felt that there was no way I would EVER buy used again without being able to inspect the product prior to sending payment.

So, if there was a negative expirience with Adorama, or if this happens to you in the future, make sure to contact customer service because they will rectify the problem. Their excellent reputation is well deserved!!

Thanks Helen,

Rick

manoskrystalis
06-17-2009, 01:48 PM
MY GOD THEY CHARGED MY CC WITH $2700 FOR A DSL 900 AND THE SAID TO ME THAT THEY LOST THE SHIPMENT AND THAT THEY CAN NOT REFUND THE MONEY,
I SPOKE TO THE FEDERAL ECONOMIC CRIME PREVIOUSLY
RIGHT NOW I MUST WAIT FROR MY BANK TO REFUND THE MONEY FOR THE ORDER REGARDING THIS FAKE COMPANY
EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE AN ADDRESS I WANNA SUE THEM ALSO manos@krystalis.gr AND BTW RIGHT NOW THEY CHANGED THE NAME OF THE COMPANY TO http://www.megadealdigital.com/
be CAREFULL THEY ARE THIEFTS

IAMB
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, the bad news is that everything used to register the domain that scammed you is phony (address on a Portugese island, phone number in Nova Scotia, dummy email address, changes domains every year). Basically, you're gonna have an interesting time getting things set right. However, you should contact Interpol, since the multi-country runaround used to register the domain puts this squarely in their territory.

Sorry I don't have better news for you...

manoskrystalis
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
THANK you so much i just did.

I swear to God my friend that if i find who is behind the scene i am gonna be the witness of the history for tHIS ECONOMIC CRIME.

but you gave me many information

the thing is that when they charge your credit card SOMEONE receives the MONEy a company or a person that OWNS a company even if this where ever in the world

so they can find THEM I AM SURE THEY WILL

THANK YOU so much

Scott
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]Could anyone recommend some stores they have had good experiences within <st1:country-region w:st="on"]<st1:place w:st="on"]Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have tried and been happy with camerasdirect.com and digitalcamerawarehouse.com, but I&rsquo;m up for a genuine bargain and great service like anyone else.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Cheers<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]Scott<o:p></o:p>

Scott
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]Could anyone recommend some stores they have had good experiences within <st1:country-region w:st="on"]<st1:place w:st="on"]Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I have tried and been happy with camerasdirect.com and digitalcamerawarehouse.com, but I&rsquo;m up for a genuine bargain and great service like anyone else.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Cheers<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Arial;"]Scott<o:p></o:p>

Cory
06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
One of the old standby golden rules applies VERY well to photography shopping online...

"If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

It's not uncommon for me to find prices nearly half of what the lens lists for... and every time I do I do a Google search on that companies name only to find hoardes of customers that have been taken by them.

The most common tactics? You order something, they call to 'confirm' your order and try to sell you a bunch of side crap (including things that come WITH the item you are buying) and if you don't bite your ordered item suddenly is out of stock with no word on when they will get it in... but they HAVE charged your card for the item. Then you'll have a hard time trying to cancel your order. At best you'll end up having wasted a bunch of your time.

I don't even bother with anything other then the big boys anymore. Even ebay is useless most the time now, it's turned into an "Outlet" shop on 90% of the listings and the ones that are actually legit auctions people get bid fever and end up paying little under what you would for a new lens.

Yeah, I know I sound a bit jadded about it, which is funny cause I've never been burned... but I really do my research on ANY place I'm ordering from online (I also only use a specific credit card for online ordering with a set limit).

HelenOster
06-18-2009, 12:37 AM
The best advice is to always checkthe feedback atwww.reselleratings.com ("http://www.reselleratings.com)before parting with your credit card details.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com ("helen.oster@adoramacamera.com)

www.adorama.com ("http://www.adorama.com)

ugurmebe
06-18-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey scott i get most of my gear from

http://digitalimagingonline.com.au/

generally cheaper than DCW. camera direct can be cheaper but not always

and if your in sydney they have a store in bondi junction so you can go there and haggle a little

(i used to have another site which was slightly cheaper but i lost the link when my laptop died)

Scott
06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Awesome ugurmebe I'll check them out. I'm in country Queensland but have found the express post pretty quick and reliable. Thanks again.

Scott

ugurmebe
06-18-2009, 07:19 AM
found the site, basically the same people as before except even cheaper

www.digidirect.com.au

photodude
07-27-2010, 07:20 PM
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I would never recommend Adorama: I emailed Adorama Camera regarding a like-new (purchased early this month) camera with lenses and accessories that I wanted to sell to Adorama&rsquo;s used camera department, possibly in connection with the purchase of a new camera.<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<o:p><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]In response, I got an email that a UPS label had been prepared for me.<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I emailed Adorama saying that if the UPS label was so I could send my camera in, I would (obviously) need some sort of quote and terms first.<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<o:p><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I then got a phone call from Adorama, a man who can only be described as high-pressure and sleazy-sounding. He first gave me one price, then mumbled something about 70%.I finally nailed him down; he was actually proposing a *possible* price far below what he first said. When I said I'd need some sort of quote, instructions, etc., he said that he &ldquo;never put anything in writing.&rdquo; I asked if he was proposing that I just put my stuff in the mail to Adorama with no quote or bid, no contract, no confirmation number, no nothing. He said if I wanted something in writing I could send him an email and that would be the writing. He said if I didn&rsquo;t want to do that, I could always spend two years trying to sell it locally; I could just forget he ever called, etc. During our conversation he kept putting me on hold (without saying he was going to), presumably to take other calls. We would talk for a minute, then I&rsquo;d be on hold for 2 or 3 minutes. I assume he was trying to pull the same thing on a couple of other people at the same time.<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span lang="EN" style="mso-ansi-language: EN;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]I don&rsquo;t know what was worse&mdash;his approach or the fact that he seems to take reasonable people for idiots. This is the second bad experience with Adorama (the other was with a laptop computer). High pressure, evasive, very sleazy approach. I won't deal with them again. BTW I've had great luck with Samy's Camera, both online and in stores in the L.A. area.

scalesusa
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
These people feed off greed. We all want a good buy, but, for as long as I can remember, there have been dealers that advertise false prices and use bait and switch tactics.

The scammers used to appear in photo magazine ads, they have merely moved online, but its the same old scam. Fortunately, there are many more good and honest dealers than the few scammers mentioned.

The bad dealers are easy to spot, but greed blinds us.

Daniel Browning
07-27-2010, 08:35 PM
Photodude, thank you for signing up for this forum and using your very first message to warn us about Adorama. I will never buy or sell anything there again, thanks toyour balanced, trustworthy, and highly informative post.By the way, for some reason your post reminds of me of a recent message from an anonymous poster to a forum for photography retailers:

I would never recommend Angelinos: I got an e-mail from one customer in the L.A. area regarding his "like-new"camera with lenses and accessories that he wanted to sell to our used camera department, possibly in connection with the purchase of a new camera.

In my response, I included a UPS label for him. He came back demanding a written quote and terms before he would even send it in. Of course, my psychic powers only extend half wayacrossthe nation, which is not quite far enough to evaluate the condition of his equipment to give him a price. So instead, I picked up the phone and gave him a polite call.

The phone call was answered by the Angelino, a man who can only be described as demanding, querulous, and arrogant-sounding. He kept insisting on a fixed price, and got very angry every time I told him that I needed to see the gear first. I thought it might help if I mentioned a few of the possible prices he could get, depending on the condition of the equipment, but somehow that made him even more angry. During the conversation I had to put him on hold several times when he was yelling too loudly.He threatened to log onto various forums and post a long rant trashing Adorama if I didn't do exactly what he wanted, but I didn't worry about that because I knew that it would only get parodied.

I don't know what was worse--his approach or the fact that he seems to take reasonable employees for psychics. This is the second bad experience with Angelinos (the other was an L.A.-area person with a laptop computer). Demanding, pompous, very whiney approach. I won't deal with them again. BTW I've had great luck with all the other Cali folks, just not the L.A. area.

Stephen Probert
07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I am well entertained, thanks, Daniel.

HelenOster
07-28-2010, 04:49 AM
<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt;"]I was concerned to read your posting and at this point can only offer a sincere apology; from the description of your experience I am not surprised that you are cross and frustrated. In your position I believe I would be, too.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt;"]If you can email me the date and time of your call, plus the number you called from, I will be able to listen to the tape recording of the call, and we can take whatever internal action as may be required in relation to the individual concerned.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt;"]In terms of the process of selling to Adorama; we cannot give quotes without seeing an item, only estimates. Any estimate will be that of the current re-sale value, (within a range to allow for individual perception of cosmetic condition and the fluidity of the market-place); we then take approximately 30% (it could be less) as a commission fee - to cover our overheads such as warehousing, advertising, equipment cleaning &amp; repair, staff time etc. This percentage may be less if a customer is making a purchase at the same time, or an item is in pristine condition, and / or in short supply / high demand.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt;"]We send a pre-paid label so that customers can send their items in for appraisal, fully insured, at no cost to themselves. If the price that is offered is not acceptable, we will also ship the item back to the customer fully insured.<o:p></o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt;"]Once again my apologies, and I do look forward to hearing from you with the additional information relating to your call.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen <span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Oster
<span class="goog-spellcheck-word"]Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: Verdana; font-size: 9pt; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com (helen.oster@adoramacamera.com]<span style="color: #006699;)<o:p></o:p>