PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 24" LCD...do I realy need to spend $600+

mitchel
03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
I am looking for a 24" LCD because my Sony 21" CRT died.

It seems like you can get a decent one for about $350 or so, and then you go up a level and hit the $600+ range.

I am not a pro, but I do like Photoshop my photos before I send them off to print...but is this enough justification to double the cost of the monitor?

What do you guys use as far as LCD's...especially if you have a 24" one.

Thanks!

Mitch

Sean Setters
03-17-2009, 11:57 PM
How about a 22" Acer Widescreen LCD ("http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009145)? Only about $170 +tax....

I bought a model very similar in May '08, and I can't believe I waited so long to do it. Of course, I was using a 15" CRT before, but still, this monitor is fantastic. Of course, it wouldn't seem so huge after your 21" CRT, but it'll still be very adequate and quite reasonable in price.

unjx
03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
Dellhttp://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspxc=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7345 ("http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7345)for 350.00

Great specs for the money.

EdN
03-18-2009, 12:18 AM
I'm using a 24" Samsung which is reasonably priced (around $300) and has 1900 x 1200 resolution. I highly recommend a 24".

bardinjw
03-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately, the more expensive monitors are often worth it for photographers. It's hard to judge your photographs color and contrast when each of those changes with a few degrees difference in viewing angle, and the cheaper TN panels can be hard to get color calibrated accurately.

Do a search for TN VA and IPS lcd panels.

Here's one of my first google results: http://dcuser.net/others/lcd-monitor-for-photography-ips-lcd-panel.html

Dallasphotog
03-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm doing fine with a less expensive 24" monitor (Gateway FHD2401).

I agree with the previous poster that better montiors are probably easier to calibrate and probably have better consistency, but my cheap 24" is so much better than my expensive 10-year old 15", that I haven't been impacted.

Jon Ruyle
03-18-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm *not* an expert, and I *don't* like crt monitors.

But if you want consistency, you might consider a crt.

Colin
03-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I like my NEC CRT monitors, a LOT. They're obsolete, take up too much space, and have limited real resolution, but for simple color correction, once you get the color temperature set, black and white levels dialed in,and your computer gets a profile made, for viewing color they rock. Of course, they'll wear out, and then I'll be sad, and have to buy an LCD because they probably won't be made anymore, but... Oh well...

Now, some CRT monitors might be awful, but most LCD monitors are awful too ...

Benjamin
03-19-2009, 02:22 AM
My iMac is on the way home! I need a good 24'' monitor since I have partially converted to digital and I do scan my films quite often. I think a good quality 24'' is a big deal for photographers. I'm not able to tell how to choose a 24'' monitor or which is better than which in which way, but I know if I go for a iMac I'm never wrong[:)]

atticusdsf
03-19-2009, 02:29 AM
this got decent marks from macLife magazine.. said it's a great value if you're looking to spend less than $600.. it's 26", too

http://www.vizio.com/product.aspx?id=2730&pid=2608

Ragingblues
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Mitch,

I held out on switching from a CRT to an LCD monitor as long as I could, in the hopes that the quality I wanted would become more affordable. Over a year ago I bought a Samsung 22" LCD (the size fits my needs better than the 24") with 3000:1 dynamic conrast ratio, for only $199. I couldn't be happier with this monitor and would highly recommend taking a look at their current 24" versions. The color, clarity, and dynamic range are all a pleasure to look at and work with. I take thousands of photos a year, so I can honestly say that I'm pleased using this monitor for photographic purposes.

Remember of course, that you need to connect the digital output from your video card to the digital input of the monitor, as that gives the best results. If your current video card does not have a digital output, I would consider buying a new card that does. Also, buy a monitor that has the desktop size/ratio that you want to work with. Switching it from it's native ratio seriously degrades the quality as well. I'm guessing that you already knew these things, but it never hurts to hear it twice.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Jeff Sagar
03-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Hi Mitch,

I use a Dell 2408WFP and am very satisfied with it. I am not a pro, but a serious amateur. After calibrating with a Spyder3 Elite, the colors are right on and I get great results when printing my own images or from a good lab when enlargements greater that 8X10 are needed. The retail price I paid was about $550. direct from Dell. The priceis probably higher now since I got mine whenDell was offering a deal around Christmas time last year. The 2408WFP is a good mid level monitor that performs well, I highly recommend it.By comparison, you'd have to spend $1,500+ to buy a "reference" quality monitor from NEC or Eizo.

Good luck!

Jeff