PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade form 7D to 1DIV

DanoPhoto
09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
The success of the 1DX has resulted in more used 1DIV's becoming available on eBay and CL in the $3000~3500 range.

I have thought about upgrading my 7D for wildlife and sports (personal use only) to a 1D platform and the 1DX is outside of my budgetary grasp for a while, so question to those who have made this move.....

How significant is the difference in performance?

HDNitehawk
09-06-2012, 07:22 PM
It is massive.

The difference in the AF system outweighs any perceived benefit that you may think the 7D has.
The quality of the pictures directly out of the 1D IV are superior to the 7D’s directly out of the camera. The 1D IV has much better contrast than the 7D. You can get close to the same image quality with the 7D if you are willing to work at it in post.
I thought it was a worthy upgrade when the 7D was $1,600 and the 1D IV was $4,500.

conropl
09-06-2012, 10:58 PM
The success of the 1DX has resulted in more used 1DIV's becoming available on eBay and CL in the $3000~3500 range.

It is massive.

The difference in the AF system outweighs any perceived benefit that you may think the 7D has.
The quality of the pictures directly out of the 1D IV are superior to the 7D’s directly out of the camera. The 1D IV has much better contrast than the 7D. You can get close to the same image quality with the 7D if you are willing to work at it in post.
I thought it was a worthy upgrade when the 7D was $1,600 and the 1D IV was $4,500.

Now that you have definitively answered the question of the 1D IV vs. the 7D, I would like to pose a little different question that I have been woundering about. Now that a used 1D IV is in the same price range as a new 5D III, shouldn't the 5D III be in the mix with this comparison? When comparing those two it gets a little muddier (keep in mind one is used and the other new). Which would provide better IQ, DR, and/or better focus? I get that there is a 1.3 crop factor difference, and a frame rate difference, and focus with TC's; but then I am tending to be leaning towards wanting a FF and I really like the idea of a camera that handles low light noise. So I think I would be leaning more towards the 5D III (although I am quite sure I would like the 1D IV if I had one), and I like the idea of a new camera with warranty if I am going to spend that kind of money.

Rick - Any thoughts in comparing a used 1D IV vs. a new 5D III for about the same money?

Pat

HDNitehawk
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
@conropl, DanoPhoto specifically mentioned sports and wildlife. I think you would still want the speed of the 1D IV over the new 5D III for that type of shooting.

As far as noise the 1D IV cleans up nicely in Light Room, I find the 5D II IQ and 1D IV to not be far off from each other. I favor the 1D IV as a walk around because of the superior AF.

For an all around camera I would probably go with the 5D III over the 1D IV if its AF is as good as they say.

For sports and wildlife I would still hang with the 1D IV, the AF system on the 1D IV is so good I haven't even thought it really needed an upgrade. You still need the 10fps for sports and for wildlife the 1.3 crop helps.

DanoPhoto
09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks Rick & Pat.

I only entered into FF in the past several months and am still gettign to know my 5D2 and what it can do. The 5D3 would be the best single camera solution for the price, but was looking more specifically at expanding my capabilities in just the sports and birding arenas.

The 1DIV really has my interest but the lack of warranty is a small concern. do either of you have any experience with the Canon refurb store and its limited warranty?

Dan.

bob williams
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I have considered the same upgrade recently. The real question for me was if I can afford $5k for a 1DIV couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---I hadn't really shopped around yet, but after ready this post and seeing that the cost on the 1DIV has dropped significantly I may rethink the options----The 1DIV is still a heck of a camera for wildlife and sports.

Thanks Dano, for posing the question and causing me to re-evaluate

Bob

HDNitehawk
09-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Not as a refurb, but I have sent lenses and a 5D II that were under warranty. They honor their warranty.
I wouldn't hesitate buying a refurb.

HDNitehawk
09-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Did you guy's see this post;
http://community.the-digital-picture.com/showthread.php?t=6278

DanoPhoto
09-07-2012, 12:52 AM
thanks for the link. sent PM to see if still available.

HDNitehawk
09-07-2012, 12:57 AM
tread cautiously, his first post was a for sale post.

DanoPhoto
09-07-2012, 01:00 AM
yep. caveat emptor.

conropl
09-07-2012, 01:01 AM
@conropl, DanoPhoto specifically mentioned sports and wildlife. I think you would still want the speed of the 1D IV over the new 5D III for that type of shooting.

As far as noise the 1D IV cleans up nicely in Light Room, I find the 5D II IQ and 1D IV to not be far off from each other. I favor the 1D IV as a walk around because of the superior AF.

For an all around camera I would probably go with the 5D III over the 1D IV if its AF is as good as they say.

For sports and wildlife I would still hang with the 1D IV, the AF system on the 1D IV is so good I haven't even thought it really needed an upgrade. You still need the 10fps for sports and for wildlife the 1.3 crop helps.

Thank you for the comparison. That kind sums up the dilemma in my thought pattern. That is, I like landscape photography, but I also like to shoot wildlife. I think the 5D III would be a better choice for landscape, but the 1D IV would be a big upgrade and very usable as well. I am also torn between wanting my wides to go wider and the tel's going longer... so I guess the 1d IV is a good compromise in the middle between the 7D and the 5D.

At this point, I guess it doesn't matter since I cannot buy a camera for a couple of years, and a lot can happen in a couple of years... so sorry for rambling on here.

Thanks Rick & Pat.

I only entered into FF in the past several months and am still gettign to know my 5D2 and what it can do. The 5D3 would be the best single camera solution for the price, but was looking more specifically at expanding my capabilities in just the sports and birding arenas.

The 1DIV really has my interest but the lack of warranty is a small concern. do either of you have any experience with the Canon refurb store and its limited warranty?

Dan.

I have never gotten anything from Canon refurb, but I have never heard anything bad either. Most have been very happy.

I have considered the same upgrade recently. The real question for me was if I can afford $5k for a 1DIV couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---I hadn't really shopped around yet, but after ready this post and seeing that the cost on the 1DIV has dropped significantly I may rethink the options----The 1DIV is still a heck of a camera for wildlife and sports.

Thanks Dano, for posing the question and causing me to re-evaluate

Bob

Dano - I agree with Bob... your post got me thinking about what I would like to do as well. So sorry for stepping on your thread, but you got a discussion going that I have been thinking about and I could not help myself.:confused:

DanoPhoto
09-07-2012, 01:05 AM
All good, Pat. That is what this forum is for. I will twist myself over this for a few weeks and hopefully make a rational decision in the end.

Dan.

HDNitehawk
09-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Thank you for the comparison. That kind sums up the dilemma in my thought pattern. That is, I like landscape photography, but I also like to shoot wildlife. I think the 5D III would be a better choice for landscape, but the 1D IV would be a big upgrade and very usable as well. I am also torn between wanting my wides to go wider and the tel's going longer... so I guess the 1d IV is a good compromise in the middle between the 7D and the 5D.

I think I would pick which is more important to me, landscape or wildlife and pick accordingly if I could only have one.

I think the 5D III would make a better wildlife camera than a 1D IV would be a landscape camera.

Raid
09-07-2012, 04:27 AM
couldn't I afford $7k for the 1DX---

Bob

Sale of your first born fell through?
:)

bob williams
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Sale of your first born fell through?
:)

Yep:mad:, Now my next option is panhandleing

Joel Eade
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Canon Inc is lovin' it .... they know we all need/want at least 2 camera bodies so we can take advantages of certain features for landscape/portraits vs sports/wildlife.

If they wanted to, I would think they could offer a 45 mp full frame sensor with in camera 1.3 or 1.6 crop mode and the greatest AF, fast frame rate performance features as well as dual cards, wireless transmitter, GPS, in camera HDR etc etc....you know, a universal, one size fits all, professional image capturing machine.

But then they couldn't sell everyone multiple bodies and external widgets:)

Raid
09-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Canon Inc is lovin' it .... they know we all need/want at least 2 camera bodies so we can take advantages of certain features for landscape/portraits vs sports/wildlife.

If they wanted to, I would think they could offer a 45 mp full frame sensor with in camera 1.3 or 1.6 crop mode and the greatest AF, fast frame rate performance features as well as dual cards, wireless transmitter, GPS, in camera HDR etc etc....you know, a universal, one size fits all, professional image capturing machine.

But then they couldn't sell everyone multiple bodies and external widgets:)

Have been looking at Canons sensor manufacturing process. The sensors are made in a fully automated plants which reduces the cost of their sensors. While they may have techniques that can make ultra low noise, higher dynamic range and higher megapixles sensors, they may not be able to make them fully automated... yet.

For the conspiracy theory people, I can't see Canon not wanting to beat Nikon in all areas, not just glass.

If they wanted to do limited run camera's would they be able to make them cheap enough for plebs like me? I don't think so:(.

DanoPhoto
09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Got a call from a local family owned store here in PA (yes, they still exist) about a body they just took in on trade form a long time customer that ws in MINT condition (<3,200 actuations). The price was right ($3,350), so I jumped on the offer. They even gave me a fair trade-in on my 7D+grip. Quick upgrade for about $2,500.

Thank goodness for the small mom/pop shops that still exist.

Thanks again for the input.

Dan.

HDNitehawk
09-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Congratz Dan,

What do you think? Did we point you in the right direction?

bob williams
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Got a call from a local family owned store here in PA (yes, they still exist) about a body they just took in on trade form a long time customer that ws in MINT condition (<3,200 actuations). The price was right ($3,350), so I jumped on the offer. They even gave me a fair trade-in on my 7D+grip. Quick upgrade for about $2,500.

Thank goodness for the small mom/pop shops that still exist.

Thanks again for the input.

Dan.

Sounds like a killer deal--congrats Dan

Dr Croubie
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
MINT condition (<3,200 actuations). The price was right ($3,350)

Wow. Deal of the year, i'd say.
I've seen 1D4s go for over $3500 on fleabay (where prices are a lot lower than stores), for worse condition.
They don't have a second body like that lying around do they?

DanoPhoto
09-12-2012, 01:23 AM
@ Rick - you guys definitely headed me in the right direction. I think this upgrade is comparable to when I got my first L lens. You were right, it is a massive difference.

@ Dr.C - will let you know if they find a second one in the back of the store.

This was definitely my "blind squirrel" day. This baby is pristine. Will be putting it thru some heavy paces this weekend with the kids soccer games and hopefully some birding.