PDA

View Full Version : Rechargable Batteries

metakephotos
03-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a canon 580ex II. My batteries are toast, I was wondering if anyone could recomend to me a good reliable set? I am also very weary of the quick charge batteries. Any thoughts?

thanks

Daniel Browning
03-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I recommend the Sanyo Eneloop. Their "mha" ratings are lower than the other batteries, but they seem to work better and longer anyways. I've heard the reason is that they have lower internal resistance, so when other batteries get hot and waste a lot of energy on heat, the eneloops give everything they have to the flash itself and waste nothing on heat.

40Doodle
03-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Sanyo Eneloop. When I was researching this a few months back, the Eneloops were overall the battery of choice from what I could find. Here's an article/review that may be helpful:

Eneloop Test/Review ("http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html)

Rick

electric eel
03-22-2009, 01:05 AM
I third the eneloops. Been using them for a year and they stay charged for months if not used, other rechargables are always dead if not charged prior to use and get worse with age. Combine these with the La Crosse BC-900 charger. The charger allows you to charge them nice and slow so they will remain usable for many years. I believe Sony also makes a battery similar to the eneloop, but haven't tried it, maybe someone on the forum knows. The eneloops should be readily available, if you have a Ritz Camera close I know they carry them. The La Crosse is available from Amazon.com.

peety3
03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Sanyo Eneloop, no doubt. I had the Impact (B&H store brand?), 2900mAh, in the beginning. Not bad, but horribly inconsistent discharge patterns (courtesy of watching the same charger recommended above). You'll know how good the Eneloops are the moment you load them in the flash WITHOUT CHARGING THEM - pop pop pop, they're ready to go.

When you get the chance, add on the CP-E4 external battery pack and you'll be stunned at what your flash can do.

Alan
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks, guys. Just ordered some from Amazon.

Anyone ever use the knock-off version of the CP-E4 battery pack? They only hold 6 batteries, but the thing is nearly 1/3 the price of the Canon.

metakephotos
03-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks I got a great deal at costco.

EdN
03-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I too have had an awful experience with rechargeable lithium ions.

I just picked up a charger, 4-AA's, and 4-AAA's at Costco for $29.49. Deal here in Canada is that it's $10 off until the end of the month.