PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts regarding the film Canon 1V-HS...

Benjamin
03-22-2009, 01:05 AM
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]I use a 1V-HS because I still shoot film.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]Today it&rsquo;s probably only me who actually want to see an updated version of the excellent 1V-HS FSLR. Since 2000, the 1-series digital bodies carry on going, but the 1V-HS just stands at where it has been forever.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]I like those changes made to the 1-series bodies throughout the years, mostly referring to a better 45-point focusing system with far more cross-type points, a more durable shutter, a better weather sealing, a more reasonable/logical control button arrangement and a better ergonomics.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]I also assume that if Canon is still serious about keeping the 1V-HS in its lineup, upgrading by putting all the film stuff into a current 1-series body is neither hard nor too expensive to do. It might even save Canon some manufacturing cost by sharing the same battery, charger as well as all kinds of accessories associated with the current 1-series digital bodies.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]I totally understand that film is now very NOT popular. But for people who still appreciate them or just for the sake of keeping a film camera alive (because Nikon has a F6), Canon should keep the 1V up-to-date. I&rsquo;m not looking for a new model every three years or so, but updating the film stuff onceaDECADE shouldn&rsquo;t be too bad of an idea.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]In the end, I am a satisfactory user of the 1V-HS and I&rsquo;m just simply wanted to see a better day with film cameras. They are lovely machines still today.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]Hopefully no one&rsquo;s going to seriously disagree with me&hellip;
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: small;"]Ben

Colin
03-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Ummmm....

I seriously respect you, Benjamin, and your value of film... but...

seriously....

uhhhh....

seriously???

if you want to get hard core with film, why put so much into 35mm??

Get a medium format camera, and then you can switch between film and digital back.

I don't think there's any serious market for 35mm high-end film cameras today. Journalists are digital because it's practical. Fine art will be, most likely, medium or large format.

I don't really know anything, but that's my gut feeling.

I wonder, though, how cool is 10 frames per second if you've got a 36 exposure role?

Garrett-Grimsley
03-22-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm a proud owner of a Canon EOS-1 film camera, and as much as I like B&amp;W film shooting, it's just not very practical for me. I wouldn't even bother shooting film if it weren't for me being in a photo class with a darkroom where I can develop and print my photos free of charge. Not everyone has their own darkroom, and not everyone is going to be willing to pay to have their film developed at a store constantly.

I'm so used to digital that, during a shoot with my friend for a project, I went through a 24exp role of film in under 2 minutes. It happened because I'm so used to firing away with my Digital and reviewing later. And like the poster above, if you're so into film go medium format. You can get a body, and both film and digital backs for it so you can use whatever suits the situation/need. Plus I assume the quality of a medium format will be better than that of a 35mm.

Benjamin
03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Get a medium format camera, and then you can switch between film and digital back.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Good point Colin!

I went up from using an oldpoint&amp;shoot film camera when I was a middle school child to EOS system after entering university; I went along with it both Canon film SLRs and digital ones after I begin to finance myself for my photography. I think the current set up I have is the most I can afford as a student. Digital backs and medium/large formats?? Hahah, maybe after I graduate and find a nice job[:)]

I do have a darkroom at my university and I have free access to the chemicals/enlargers, this holds me within the world of 35mm films. I would have gone completely digital if I have to pay everytime I do film. However, I do shoot slides which I feel nervous to develop myself - I would like to spend a little bit to developin shopsinceslides still out performs an $8000 1Ds III in terms of just about anything IQ wise if I know what I'm doing.

I wonder, though, how cool is 10 frames per second if you've got a 36 exposure role?

Not very cool... Mostly because I almost haven't touched this speed at all when there's a roll of film inside. I only used it once to test out the performance and the camera indeed eats the roll in merely a couple of seconds... I use the power booster as a vertical grip and a set of shutter release only...

Benjamin
03-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm so used to digital that, during a shoot with my friend for a project, I went through a 24exp role of film in under 2 minutes. It happened because I'm so used to firing away with my Digital and reviewing later.

Digital spoiled us badly these days. We now can do A LOT more with the digital bodies comparing to the days we only have film in hand. Interestingly, I'm the other way around. I have had a 50D for over a month now and I only have got 400 shots on it, including my 100 or so test shots on the first day I bought it. I'm so used to film that I took every shot very carefully even with a DSLR at no cost.[:)]

mattsartin
03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I'll side with you on film. i shoot an old Canon AE-1 with 3 prime lenses and love it. there's nothing like some film and a few prime lenses to really force creativity, because of the cost of developing film and the ease of use i also have a Rebel XTi.

Dallasphotog
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
With the ever decreasing number of photo labs and the ever smaller selection of film, I think the chance of a new film body is remote. If the guys that make film can't find a big enough market to keep selling what the are already tooled up to make, what's the chance of any payback on the development of a new body.

I stayed on film until 2003 because of the way it rendered flesh tones, but now I couldn't go back. The digital workflow is just tooaccelerated and the ability to alter ISO speed with a button just too convienent.

If it makes you feel better, I still have a functioning AE-1 in the closet.

Fink_Studios
10-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Hi benjamin

I hate to be the evil one all of the time but I do commend you on going to school for this stuff but the harsh reality of the photo biz is there aren't job like there used to be very few on my collegues are making what they used to make so I hate to squash you medium format dreams but you will sooner or later relize that there is no way to afford a high digital back without take out a loan with the job you, I or anyone else on this website will get that is unless your name is chase jarvis or annie leibovitz ( who almost went bankrupt recently)

But in the end good luck in all you futures and really keep dreaming about that phase one P60+ back well you never know